Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How can I get D* to replace my HR22 with a newer model?

mrv

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't think I can take it anymore - my HR22 is S-O.... S-L-O-W!!! My main viewing room has an HR24 and I'm perfectly happy with that, but I just can't go to my basement to watch the HR22 because sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries before it will even accept a channel change! It's absurd how slow it is.

So, how can I get DirecTV to replace a perfectly functional (leased) HR22 with a newer model? I haven't called them to ask yet because I figured I'd get tips here first. I've been a customer for over 10 years and I have 5 receivers and order a number of premium packages, so I think they'd value me as a high priority customer. So do you think if I ask them "pretty pretty please", do you think they'd swap it out for an HR24?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,343 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't think I can take it anymore - my HR22 is S-O.... S-L-O-W!!! My main viewing room has an HR24 and I'm perfectly happy with that, but I just can't go to my basement to watch the HR22 because sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries before it will even accept a channel change! It's absurd how slow it is.

So, how can I get DirecTV to replace a perfectly functional (leased) HR22 with a newer model? I haven't called them to ask yet because I figured I'd get tips here first. I've been a customer for over 10 years and I have 5 receivers and order a number of premium packages, so I think they'd value me as a high priority customer. So do you think if I ask them "pretty pretty please", do you think they'd swap it out for an HR24?

You could see what kind of deal you can get on an HR34. If they do swap you for another HR2x, theres no way to know what model you'll get. If you ask for a HMC receiver (HR34) you'll definitely get that model.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   jstewartgt

jstewartgt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

I called and asked for an HR34 which they offered me for $199. I asked for $99 and they declined. I called back to cancel and they offered me the HR34 for free :)

In my opinion, the HR34 is still a bit buggy, but way faster than the HR22 and tolerable. SWMBO is content for now with the assumption the bugs will be fixed in the next national release.

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'm tired of dealing with my kind of functional HR20.
I signed up with Dish yesterday and am scheduled for installation next Friday.
I'm going to call Direct and lay it out for them.
They can either give me a comparable deal or wave bye bye.

#5 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, I'll call to see if they can give me a deal on the HR34. In the meantime I'll look for tips on speeding up the HR22. I saw someone suggest turning off the scrolling effects and someone said something about resetting the NVRAM. I'll have to do a search to see how to do that.

#6 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Ok, found it. here's how you clear the NVRAM on an HR22: Tune to channel one, wait for it to load with sound. Press red red, blue blue, yellow, green [quickly] and look in the lower left of the screen for "NVRAM cleared"

Here's the link where I found that along with other info on trying to speed up the HR22.

#7 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Ok, found it. here's how you clear the NVRAM on an HR22: Tune to channel one, wait for it to load with sound. Press red red, blue blue, yellow, green [quickly] and look in the lower left of the screen for "NVRAM cleared"

Here's the link where I found that along with other info on trying to speed up the HR22.

Did you see any improvements after these tricks?

Good Luck!!

#8 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Did you see any improvements after these tricks?

Good Luck!!

Well, turning off the scrolling feature definitely made a big difference when scrolling through the guide or the programming list. But clearing the NVRAM didn't seem to have much of an effect. It still took a good 6 to 8 seconds to change channels, and sometimes the receiver was too slow on accepting channel number inputs.

#9 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

I called and told them I would buy a HR24 from Solid Signal and take a two year contract if they would pony up a credit. They gave me a 100.00 credit , free Sunday Ticket and 15.00 a month credit for the two years. If you are a longtime customer and out of contract it should work.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#10 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

I called and told them I would buy a HR24 from Solid Signal and take a two year contract if they would pony up a credit. They gave me a 100.00 credit , free Sunday Ticket and 15.00 a month credit for the two years. If you are a longtime customer and out of contract it should work.

Good idea, but I'm still under contract because that's exactly what I did last year to get my HR24.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mrv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...