Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cable vs DTV

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

I think Universal Sports is now called NBC Sports and is in HD

No. NBC sports is what used to be Versus, and it is in HD. Universal Sports is not in HD anywhere, yet. Universal Sports is on DirecTV on channel 625, but it is in the sports pack.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rovision

rovision

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I remember one of the best things about DTV was the ability to switch your premium channels online, from your account, in real time. For ex. if you subscribed only to HBO, you could switch to another premium, and then switch back to the original package. Is this still available?

Anybody knows about the question above?

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

I remember one of the best things about DTV was the ability to switch your premium channels online, from your account, in real time. For ex. if you subscribed only to HBO, you could switch to another premium, and then switch back to the original package. Is this still available?

You can add premium channel via the web site but you can only remove them if you call and talk to them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   rovision

rovision

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

You can add premium channel via the web site but you can only remove them if you call and talk to them.

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure that the question was clear: this option was part of the account online; not a "remove and add or replace" request, just a temporary switch that everybody could perform online, from their personal accounts.

#25 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure that the question was clear: this option was part of the account online; not a "remove and add or replace" request, just a temporary switch that everybody could perform online, from their personal accounts.

The only options provide for the premium channels is to add if you don't have. If you have it there is a remove shown and if you click on it it says to call, there is no option to switch.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#26 OFFLINE   rovision

rovision

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

The only options provide for the premium channels is to add if you don't have. If you have it there is a remove shown and if you click on it it says to call, there is no option to switch.

That's a shame. Like many good things, with "advances" in tech, they get lost.
Still a little confused, since I just finished a chat online with "James" [seems like this is a generic name they use for chat], who confirmed that this option is available!?

IIRC, that's 6-7 years ago, in your account you had listed the premiums subscribed to. And the remaining premiums. You simply checked a corresponding box, save and had access to that new premium channel. Then, reverse process, back to the original premium. Really nice!

Sure, if you have a cheaper than HBO premium, it wouldn't make sense [for DTV] to have this option enabled. But if you have HBO + 1 premium, would/should work.

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

They make you call because then they try to talk you out of removing the channel or talk you into adding a different one. Usually they are able to offer you a discount, or the package for free for a certain number of months to try to get you to keep it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#28 OFFLINE   rovision

rovision

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yes, that's probably the main reason if this option is not available anymore.

A couple more questions:

1. with current HD DVR's do you have the option to set multiple favorites lists? I've seen on the website that you can set at least one, but more than one? Can this/these be displayed and used independently of the full listing?

2. on the remote + HD DVR, I see an option to skip forward 30sec in recordings. Are there other options, like skip forward 5min. or more, or backward sec. or min.?

Thanks again for your time.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

1. You have 4 guide options. All channels, Channels I get, and 2 custom channel guides. After you bring up the guide you can hit the yellow button to change which one you are looking at.

2. The remotes have a skip forward and skip back buttons. The default is for them to slip back 8 seconds and slip forward 30 seconds. Using slip is like using FF4 for a set amount of time, you can see what is going on as it moves ahead/back in time. By doing a keyword search for 30skip you change the function over to skipping. Then one button press skips back 8 seconds or forward 30 seconds. This happens pretty much instantaneous and you do not see what you are skipping over. You can hit it multiple times and stack up how far you skip. Hit the button 4 times and you skip forward 2 minutes. There is no options for greater or smaller units of time though. So if you want to skip 5 minutes you have to hit the button 10 times.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall