Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HIC and ethernet connections

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Just completed new construction. I have three cable drops and three network drops going to each viewing location.

I'm considering converting from 3-722s to h2k/joey system and I have some questions.

1. As I understand, I will not need HIC since I connect h2k directly into a network drop. Is this correct?

2. H2k shows two ethernet ports on back and documentation states there are two ports. What is the purpose of two? Any advantage or disadvantage of connecting both in the same subnet?

3. Joey connects via cable (MOCA). Should the joey also be direct connected via ethernet? What is the purpose?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

1. Correct.

2. I haven't tried, but I believe the two ports are just so you could pass the internet thru to another device (basically a 2-port switch). No advantage to connecting both.

3. Joeys do not need internet at this point. If they stream something the Hopper is what requests it from it's internet connection and relays it to the Joeys.

#3 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for that. It all makes sense. I guess my 3 cable and 3 network installation was overkill considering the way Hopper/joey now work, but it does give me flexibility for receiver, XBOX, ROKU and other things that can use the network drops.

#4 OFFLINE   scocats

scocats

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have internet hooked up directly to both my hoppers, If you want to watch Blockbuster or on demand on your joeys they must have an internet connection. In my case anyway, i had to get a HIC adapter from Dish $25.00. I dont know if this is because my joeys were hooked on a tap from the hoppers instead of going through the Duonode which has isolaters installed????

#5 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

My install was last week. I only have internet to one hopper due to the location of the 2nd hopper. The installer did not have a HIC on the truck so I chatted up Dish network today to get a HIC. They sent a guy out who had NO CLUE. I had to leave due to a family emergency and let my son and wife here. The installer said it won't work and that they can run a new data line for $50. He said the HIC is only to get internet to the Joeys..and that his boss confirmed that it wouldn't work. I told him we will reschedule at a time when I can be home and I would print out the proper set up procedures JUST IN CASE it is him that comes back.

#6 OFFLINE   scocats

scocats

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

In my case with direct connection of the internet to hopper 1, it did not share internet with my other hopper or any of the 3 Joeys. I ordered a hic from the dish store for $25.00. I installed a tap before hopper 1 and it only feeds the HIC. As soon as I hooked this up Hopper 2 and all 3 Joeys started sharing internet, DLNA started working on everything and was also able to order on demand from the Joeys. My original installer said direct connection to 1 hopper was all that was required but in my case it did not work. While reading endless crap on the internet I came across an original Dish installers blurb for the hopper/joey system and it advised to always use a HIC for internet connection. My install was also first for this area 3-16-12 is it possible the first Hoppers that came out do not have internet sharing enabled for the MOCA?? Doesnt matter now as everything works for me except for PTAT. I was adivsed that it is DMA problem as I only get 1 HD big 4 network and my fox and abc are in contract dispute with dish. Supposedly an undisclosed software update will take care of this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...