Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling Adapter on Hopper

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Will the Sling Adapter work with the Hopper?
I know it plugs into the Hopper via USB but how will it connect to the internet? Wi-Fi?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes it works. It connects using the Hopper's internet connection. Either direct, wifi or HIC.

#3 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

So the Hopper has Wifi?

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

However the Hopper is connected, wired or wifi.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

There have been reports of Hoppers connected via a wifi adapter. But it's much better to ask for a HIC so you're hardwired. A HIC also seems to be the only way people are getting DLNA to work at the moment.

#6 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

What is DLNA?

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

What is DLNA?

It's how you stream content (video, pictures, music) from your PC/Mac to your Hopper.

Whether you plan to use DLNA or not, you'd still be better off with a HIC than wifi.

#8 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Does that require an extra coax line?

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

Does that require an extra coax line?

See diagrams here http://www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#10 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm loving my Sling Adapter and Hopper combo!

I got the SA yesterday, plugged it in, and while there were some minor workarounds to get things to work the way I though they should work, it was super. This morning, I didn't need any workarounds. I changed channels at will, hit the Hopper's DVR, and generally enjoyed the crap out of streaming CNBC to my iPhone via Verizon. Even though the iPhone 4s is only 3G, I don't really think I need more for such a small screen. I could clearly read the crawler along the bottom of the screen. Streaming rate was bouncing between 400 and 600kbps.

One of my co-workers saw what I was doing and asked about it. I gave him a demo. He was blown away.

This is truly a sliced bread moment!

Scott

#11 OFFLINE   sdallnct

sdallnct

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Does the Sling completely take over the Hopper or only one tuner?

I travel but have family at home. If I'm watching on the sling, can they watch something else on the Hopper or only on a tv with a Joey?

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

They can, and it depend what is your Sling session require - play from previous recordings or life view.

#13 OFFLINE   sdallnct

sdallnct

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

They can, and it depend what is your Sling session require - play from previous recordings or life view.

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm ordering one!

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you are slinging, a TV in your home can end your sling session by selecting the tuner you are connected to. This would only be a possibility with 3 or more TVs. Thanks.

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm ordering one!

#15 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

The HIC is used with the Joey to provide broadband connection for the whole setup if the Hopper cannot get a connection. Your Hopper can connect either with an ethernet cable or WiFi adapter. We only support the WiFi adapter we provide. I have a WiFi adapter connected to my Hopper and I don't have an issue with bandwidth with my setup. My signal strength is mid 50s. Thanks.

There have been reports of Hoppers connected via a wifi adapter. But it's much better to ask for a HIC so you're hardwired. A HIC also seems to be the only way people are getting DLNA to work at the moment.

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Does the Sling completely take over the Hopper or only one tuner?

I travel but have family at home. If I'm watching on the sling, can they watch something else on the Hopper or only on a tv with a Joey?

If you sling a recording, it takes over no tuners at all.

#17 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm glad to hear you enjoy the slinging technology. I enjoy using mine when I'm away from home, too. Thanks for sharing your comments!

I'm loving my Sling Adapter and Hopper combo!

I got the SA yesterday, plugged it in, and while there were some minor workarounds to get things to work the way I though they should work, it was super. This morning, I didn't need any workarounds. I changed channels at will, hit the Hopper's DVR, and generally enjoyed the crap out of streaming CNBC to my iPhone via Verizon. Even though the iPhone 4s is only 3G, I don't really think I need more for such a small screen. I could clearly read the crawler along the bottom of the screen. Streaming rate was bouncing between 400 and 600kbps.

One of my co-workers saw what I was doing and asked about it. I gave him a demo. He was blown away.

This is truly a sliced bread moment!

Scott

#18 OFFLINE   bf1967

bf1967

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Are the folks who are using the Sling solution refering to the red Sling adapter that plugs into the USB on a 722?

Bob

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Are the folks who are using the Sling solution refering to the red Sling adapter that plugs into the USB on a 722?

Bob

Yes.

Original Sling boxes are different and independent devices, could also work with DTV, Comcast, etc boxes.

#20 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have 2 Hoppers. Would one Sling adapter allow me to access records/shows on both Hoppers (since the 2.13 update allows me to see records on both Hoppers)? If not, would 2 Sling adapters (one to each Hopper) work? How would you access the different Slings?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...