Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#226 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,983 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

If DirecTv has a handshake agreement on the locals, they might take a chance and just keep em on, and let the court decide if the agreement was binding. WGN America on the other hand was not mentioned as being agreed upon in the original release was it?

I'm not sure there is any value to the handshake agreement ... if there was, Tribune would not have refuted the deal.

I can see the scenario where DirecTV and Tribune were talking on Thursday, Tribune made an offer for local channels only separate from WGN America and DirecTV did not immediately accept it - wanting to settle the whole issue. (If it were accepted then it should have been announced then.) Then today DirecTV thought better of the deal and decided to accept it ... but Tribune did not consider the deal still on the table. DirecTV probably should have checked to make sure there still was a deal before the Saturday morning press release but errors happen.

Hopefully the locals deal can be revived. It would be nice to see a deal for everything and be done with it but the parties don't seem to be close to that outcome. But 11th hour has happened before and we're just about at that time.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#227 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I find all this hype funny... personally i will wait till tommorow to see if they do pull the plug... if they do, oh well... if not great! I am lucky enough to have a family member that is a CSR with Directv. They have told me that they are getting flooded with screaming mad customers:lol:

The response that the CSR's are to give is:

"I understand your concern on this matter but, let me assure you that Directv knows how important having you local channels and not loosing any programming is to you. They have worked hard to make a deal to keep all the tribune stations that would be affected. Until the deal is signed and final you will continue to see messages about it but, let me assure you that you will NOT loose any programming":nono2:

If you were a CSR , you would not find it so humorous

#228 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm not sure there is any value to the handshake agreement ... if there was, Tribune would not have refuted the deal.

I can see the scenario where DirecTV and Tribune were talking on Thursday, Tribune made an offer for local channels only separate from WGN America and DirecTV did not immediately accept it - wanting to settle the whole issue. (If it were accepted then it should have been announced then.) Then today DirecTV thought better of the deal and decided to accept it ... but Tribune did not consider the deal still on the table. DirecTV probably should have checked to make sure there still was a deal before the Saturday morning press release but errors happen.

Hopefully the locals deal can be revived. It would be nice to see a deal for everything and be done with it but the parties don't seem to be close to that outcome. But 11th hour has happened before and we're just about at that time.

Or... Tribune felt that deal was acceptable for the locals, and that all they had left to deal with was the national channel, and DIRECTV assumed thy meant they could do the deals actually separately, where as tribune just meant we could discuss them separately...

Or

This is a repeat of the nba destroying the lakers trade for Chris Paul. All the little people had agreed, but the big boss heard about it and said no, all or nothing, and screwed the negotiators on both sides.

#229 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,961 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Has anyone seen their station go dark yet?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#230 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Deleted because of error

#231 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Has anyone seen their station go dark yet?

Nope watching my local CW Affiliate that is under tribune to see what happens once the clock strikes twelve.

#232 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,983 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thats already been posted and tribunes said that articles not true. The directv statement is newer.

It seems unfair to quote a post from 12 hours ago, 90 posts back in the thread. :rolleyes:

#233 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,266 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

KTLA has a countdown clock on its website that is counting down to midnight eastern...interesting.

Now they reset the clock to Central Time hahahah

The clock is based on your local time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#234 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

It seems unfair to quote a post from 12 hours ago, 90 posts back in the thread. :rolleyes:

Somehow it appeared new on my screen sorry for that.

#235 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm still getting WGN America. And its 58 past midnight EST

flag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gifflag.gif

#236 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Well its midnight on my local cw affiliate and at WGN America(they are central).....neither off air yet.

#237 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Sure are running a lot of propaganda ads and crawls tho.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#238 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Sure are running a lot of propaganda ads and crawls tho.

Weird thing is that my station hasnt been running commercials or crawls.....they just mention it on the news and on their facebook.

#239 OFFLINE   mynameisjason

mynameisjason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

The local FOX website (WXMI) has a message on the homepage saying as of 11:59PM that they are no longer on DirecTV. Well, as of this post it is still on. :rolleyes:

I made a comment on the website saying that and 5 minutes later the post was deleted and my user name was banned. :nono:

#240 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

The local FOX website (WXMI) has a message on the homepage saying as of 11:59PM that they are no longer on DirecTV. Well, as of this post it is still on. :rolleyes:

I made a comment on the website saying that and 5 minutes later the post was deleted and my user name was banned. :nono:

Im banned from 2 of my local news facebook pages for posts i made on their wall....not about this situation but other stuff.

#241 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

That speaks volumes. Suppose if I logged on wgnamerica and posted Drop it and add H2 they would ban me?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#242 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

2am here in NYC ...Local (tribune-affiliate) WPIX-11 which is also a CW affiliate still up...so is WGN america on 307

Edited by Santi360HD, 01 April 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#243 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

My local WGN station is still on as of 1:14 a.m. CDT.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#244 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

I noticed WGN America has a scroll mentioning they're gone...but my WPIX-channel 11 local tribune have yet to see any scroll ...

#245 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm in LA and the local Tribune channel is KTLA (CW). Once that channel is dark, I am curious if D* will be able to open up the DNS channel for CW which I think is in San Diego on channel 395. I am hoping so at least I can still see CW programming.

#246 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

That would be illegal. I also do not believe they have ever done that before either.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#247 OFFLINE   mynameisjason

mynameisjason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

That speaks volumes. Suppose if I logged on wgnamerica and posted Drop it and add H2 they would ban me?

Who knows. Just went back onto the local FOX site and someone else posted something along the line of it still being up (I posted mine about 12:30am EST, this post was closer to 1:30). Maybe whoever monitors the site took a nap. :lol:

#248 OFFLINE   mynameisjason

mynameisjason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

I noticed WGN America has a scroll mentioning they're gone...but my WPIX-channel 11 local tribune have yet to see any scroll ...

:lol: Wow. If they were actually off what good would that do? :lol:

#249 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

It's down!
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#250 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

WGN HD is gone.
Q13 Fox HD and JoeTv HD Seattle went down @12:00 AM.
Q13 Fox SD and JoeTv SD Seattle went down @12:16 AM.

Edited by Renard, 01 April 2012 - 01:19 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...