Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Upon getting home tonight, I immediately tuned in WGN to see what the news is. Nothing so far.

Instead, I'm watching "America's Funniest Home Videos" with Tom Bergeron.

They wouldn't black out this, would they???

:eek2:

Oh, the humanity!
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

It seems pretty clear that Directv is going to have to turn them off tonight due to Tribune being a bunch of retards and backing out on a deal. Hopefully it works out so we get CLTV in the end.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#183 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

As of 9:20 EDT tonight, I can breathe easier, knowing all is indeed well.

Could you elaborate a bit please?

#184 OFFLINE   sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

What about the Nascar race?

You still can see that on hotpass, channels 795-798 ish.

#185 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

At this time, my receiver is showing CWe no longer greyed out, but I still cannot access it. Perhaps this will change at midnight as I live in the Los Angeles market and will lose KTLA

#186 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

I find all this hype funny... personally i will wait till tommorow to see if they do pull the plug... if they do, oh well... if not great! I am lucky enough to have a family member that is a CSR with Directv. They have told me that they are getting flooded with screaming mad customers:lol:

The response that the CSR's are to give is:

"I understand your concern on this matter but, let me assure you that Directv knows how important having you local channels and not loosing any programming is to you. They have worked hard to make a deal to keep all the tribune stations that would be affected. Until the deal is signed and final you will continue to see messages about it but, let me assure you that you will NOT loose any programming":nono2:

Edited by Old_School, 31 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#187 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 732 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Could you elaborate a bit please?

Sorry, trh, a feeble attempt to poke fun.

If you look at the posts before mine, you'd see the lampoon effort.

#188 OFFLINE   cts33fan

cts33fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

You can watch the countdown:

www.ktla.com

#189 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

www.ktla.com

The counter must be on Eastern time. Poor west coasters gonna get screwed out of three hours of that good programming :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#190 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

www.ktla.com

That is so childish on their part.

When you read the information on DirecTV site http://www.directvpromise.com
It states "DIRECTV will not remove any Tribune stations from customers’ line-ups unless Tribune specifically demands it."

So if any of these stations go black tonight, it's not DirecTV choice.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#191 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Playing games? There is a very distinct difference between DirecTV and Dish Network retrans disputes - DirecTV resolves them and Dish Network doesn't.

I heard they are testing that theory tonight.:rolleyes:

#192 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Except, if I'm the local station, I'm seeing D use my product to make money. Why shouldn't I get some of that. If someone else uses your work product to make money and doesn't give you a cut, you'd be pissed. No different from Readers Digest reprinting articles, even of they are free from other sources, and the charging for their magazine. RD has to pay the original rights holder.

Honestly, I do not see how the $3 DIRECTV charges customers to rebroadcast those channels comes even close to the cost of maintaining the equipment to do so and I highly doubt DIRECTV makes a profit from the local programming.

Local stations do get their "cut", in advertising revenue. The more people who watch the advertising means the more money they can charge to run the ads. Expanding their market beyond what can be received from an OTA benefits them.

Reprinting a magazine article is not a good example because the new publication is not going to reprint the ads as well. In that case, yes, the original owner should be compensated for using their material.

#193 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Honestly, I do not see how the $3 DIRECTV charges customers to rebroadcast those channels comes even close to the cost of maintaining the equipment to do so and I highly doubt DIRECTV makes a profit from the local programming.

I for one, would like to see DirecTv allow us to drop locals for the $3 credit, and reduce the number of subs they have to pay the networks for.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#194 OFFLINE   sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Local stations do get their "cut", in advertising revenue. The more people who watch the advertising means the more money they can charge to run the ads. Expanding their market beyond what can be received from an OTA benefits them.

Reprinting a magazine article is not a good example because the new publication is not going to reprint the ads as well. In that case, yes, the original owner should be compensated for using their material.

You obviously have never worked in broadcast. Satellite Time isn’t free, by the time you figure in R&D to develop spot beam satellites, the millions of dollars that it takes to beam the signal to you, and on top of that equipment, personnel costs and other factors into it, I wouldn’t be surprised if DirecTV is at a loss. Especially with the DTV transition from a few years back.

#195 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just stated on the news...

As of 10:00 p.m. CDT, WGN News Anchorman Bob Jordan said:

DirecTV has just announced that as of midnight tonight, they will pull the Tribune-owned stations, including WGN Chicago and WGN America.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#196 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Are the local affiliate running these screen crawls even if someone has a different provider? I just spoke to a Comcast customer that wanted D** to keep WGN and was scared she was about to lose it. She seemed a bit confused so just wondering if other providers are going thru the same thing or if it's aired to all.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#197 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

They're not running scrawls; rather, they have actual information commercials announcing what is happening.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#198 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

If wgn disappears tonight, I'll be pissed, but will deal with it for a while...at least until the Hawks and Bulls playoffs start. Then I will be super pissed and look to change providers if we start missing playoff games. Maybe it is time to look at basic cable from Comcast so I can have all my locals on a DR plan when each of them have issues like this.

I believe both are negotiating in good faith for their side...to each his own. I am not choosing sides, but the end result ALWAYS means higher prices for the customer.

The funny thing here is, I don't think that wgn America has anything to do with the local wgn in Chicago DMA. So if they got the locals, almost everyone would be happy, and at that point, I don't think DIRECTV would even care if they carried wgn America, which is probably why tribune is holding out till that channel gets included.

Is the anything on wgn America that isn't on another station in everyone's markets?

#199 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

All of their programing on wgn america is available elsewhere except for a few games that are not televised in the other teams markets. Only those in those markets would be without those games because the wgn feed is used in mlb.tv.

The funny thing here is, I don't think that wgn America has anything to do with the local wgn in Chicago DMA. So if they got the locals, almost everyone would be happy, and at that point, I don't think DIRECTV would even care if they carried wgn America, which is probably why tribune is holding out till that channel gets included.

Is the anything on wgn America that isn't on another station in everyone's markets?

#200 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

You obviously have never worked in broadcast. Satellite Time isn’t free, by the time you figure in R&D to develop spot beam satellites, the millions of dollars that it takes to beam the signal to you, and on top of that equipment, personnel costs and other factors into it, I wouldn’t be surprised if DirecTV is at a loss. Especially with the DTV transition from a few years back.

That’s what I was trying to say, the cost of retransmitting the signal far outweighs the $3 DIRECTV charges for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...