Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I setup 12:30-1:30am and 2:30am-3:30AM for the lol's.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#222 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

If DirecTv has a handshake agreement on the locals, they might take a chance and just keep em on, and let the court decide if the agreement was binding. WGN America on the other hand was not mentioned as being agreed upon in the original release was it?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#223 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

This is what it says on FOX 43...
"FOX43 is off the air for DirecTV subscribers. DirecTV stopped airing FOX43 at 11:59 p.m. Saturday, March 31, having failed to offer fair compensation for our programming. Call 800-533-7369 toll free and tell DirecTV you want FOX43 News, NASCAR, American Idol and all your favorite shows back. Click here for updates and other ways to get FOX43".

It is still on.

#224 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

about 120 games. WGN games in nhl center ice and nba league pass are provided by the league. mlb.tv carries the wgn feed for sox and cubs games as well. nba league pass broadband uses the hd feed for a game unless it isn't televised in hd. WGN9 blackhawk games are available as part of nhl gamecenter live.

But that's my point. They are getting money for those games via the league passes, I am surprised they'd let them all be broadcast nationally. It would hurt the sales of league passes for Chicago teams.

#225 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

This is what it says on FOX 43...
"FOX43 is off the air for DirecTV subscribers. DirecTV stopped airing FOX43 at 11:59 p.m. Saturday, March 31, having failed to offer fair compensation for our programming. Call 800-533-7369 toll free and tell DirecTV you want FOX43 News, NASCAR, American Idol and all your favorite shows back. Click here for updates and other ways to get FOX43".

It is still on.

Fair compensation for a channel that is supposed to be and is broadcast for free to my area, and that all your doing is trying to charge them to allow it to be easierly integrated into my system??? Yeah, uh huh. Proper compensation is zero, and DIRECTV pays for all equipment to receive the signal. End of story.

#226 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

If DirecTv has a handshake agreement on the locals, they might take a chance and just keep em on, and let the court decide if the agreement was binding. WGN America on the other hand was not mentioned as being agreed upon in the original release was it?

I'm not sure there is any value to the handshake agreement ... if there was, Tribune would not have refuted the deal.

I can see the scenario where DirecTV and Tribune were talking on Thursday, Tribune made an offer for local channels only separate from WGN America and DirecTV did not immediately accept it - wanting to settle the whole issue. (If it were accepted then it should have been announced then.) Then today DirecTV thought better of the deal and decided to accept it ... but Tribune did not consider the deal still on the table. DirecTV probably should have checked to make sure there still was a deal before the Saturday morning press release but errors happen.

Hopefully the locals deal can be revived. It would be nice to see a deal for everything and be done with it but the parties don't seem to be close to that outcome. But 11th hour has happened before and we're just about at that time.

#227 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I find all this hype funny... personally i will wait till tommorow to see if they do pull the plug... if they do, oh well... if not great! I am lucky enough to have a family member that is a CSR with Directv. They have told me that they are getting flooded with screaming mad customers:lol:

The response that the CSR's are to give is:

"I understand your concern on this matter but, let me assure you that Directv knows how important having you local channels and not loosing any programming is to you. They have worked hard to make a deal to keep all the tribune stations that would be affected. Until the deal is signed and final you will continue to see messages about it but, let me assure you that you will NOT loose any programming":nono2:

If you were a CSR , you would not find it so humorous

#228 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm not sure there is any value to the handshake agreement ... if there was, Tribune would not have refuted the deal.

I can see the scenario where DirecTV and Tribune were talking on Thursday, Tribune made an offer for local channels only separate from WGN America and DirecTV did not immediately accept it - wanting to settle the whole issue. (If it were accepted then it should have been announced then.) Then today DirecTV thought better of the deal and decided to accept it ... but Tribune did not consider the deal still on the table. DirecTV probably should have checked to make sure there still was a deal before the Saturday morning press release but errors happen.

Hopefully the locals deal can be revived. It would be nice to see a deal for everything and be done with it but the parties don't seem to be close to that outcome. But 11th hour has happened before and we're just about at that time.

Or... Tribune felt that deal was acceptable for the locals, and that all they had left to deal with was the national channel, and DIRECTV assumed thy meant they could do the deals actually separately, where as tribune just meant we could discuss them separately...

Or

This is a repeat of the nba destroying the lakers trade for Chris Paul. All the little people had agreed, but the big boss heard about it and said no, all or nothing, and screwed the negotiators on both sides.

#229 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Has anyone seen their station go dark yet?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#230 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Deleted because of error

#231 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Has anyone seen their station go dark yet?

Nope watching my local CW Affiliate that is under tribune to see what happens once the clock strikes twelve.

#232 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thats already been posted and tribunes said that articles not true. The directv statement is newer.

It seems unfair to quote a post from 12 hours ago, 90 posts back in the thread. :rolleyes:

#233 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

KTLA has a countdown clock on its website that is counting down to midnight eastern...interesting.

Now they reset the clock to Central Time hahahah

The clock is based on your local time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#234 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

It seems unfair to quote a post from 12 hours ago, 90 posts back in the thread. :rolleyes:

Somehow it appeared new on my screen sorry for that.

#235 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm still getting WGN America. And its 58 past midnight EST

rolltide

#236 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Well its midnight on my local cw affiliate and at WGN America(they are central).....neither off air yet.

#237 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Sure are running a lot of propaganda ads and crawls tho.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#238 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Sure are running a lot of propaganda ads and crawls tho.

Weird thing is that my station hasnt been running commercials or crawls.....they just mention it on the news and on their facebook.

#239 OFFLINE   mynameisjason

mynameisjason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

The local FOX website (WXMI) has a message on the homepage saying as of 11:59PM that they are no longer on DirecTV. Well, as of this post it is still on. :rolleyes:

I made a comment on the website saying that and 5 minutes later the post was deleted and my user name was banned. :nono:

#240 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

The local FOX website (WXMI) has a message on the homepage saying as of 11:59PM that they are no longer on DirecTV. Well, as of this post it is still on. :rolleyes:

I made a comment on the website saying that and 5 minutes later the post was deleted and my user name was banned. :nono:

Im banned from 2 of my local news facebook pages for posts i made on their wall....not about this situation but other stuff.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...