Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

To be honest, WGN was so much better before the CW network came on board.

there sports has gotten better over the years
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Fox 59 WXIN and CW4 WTTV in Indy DMA still up WGN America gone. This is one reason why I left Dish. Can't win with these greedy programmers.:mad:
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

#283 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

yuck; WGN channel 9 is local in the chicagoland area; guess i cant watch the hawks tonight
CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR — Locals Included; HD-HMC - HR34-100; HD - H21-100

#284 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Playing games? There is a very distinct difference between DirecTV and Dish Network retrans disputes - DirecTV resolves them and Dish Network doesn't.

It seems you may have spoke a bit too soon. :grin:

Hopefully they will resolve it soon even with the odd circumstances.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#285 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

yuck; WGN channel 9 is local in the chicagoland area; guess i cant watch the hawks tonight

You can watch them on channel 9-1 via OTA if you have an antenna and, if you have a newer receiver, an AM21 tuner. (HR20s have OTA capability built in.)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#286 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

We lost Fox and CW. No hope for reception via antenna...bummer. :(

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#287 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

You can watch them on channel 9-1 via OTA if you have an antenna and, if you have a newer receiver, an AM21 tuner. (HR20s have OTA capability built in.)

i dont have an antenna
CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR — Locals Included; HD-HMC - HR34-100; HD - H21-100

#288 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Fox 59 WXIN and CW4 WTTV in Indy DMA still up WGN America gone. This is one reason why I left Dish. Can't win with these greedy programmers.:mad:

59 is gone now. Didn't even check 4. I was talking with my wife and said "I bet WGN is gone now too" and looked through the guide to find it and couldn't. Found out I didn't even have it in there. So I guess I won't miss it anyway. Used to watch WGN a lot. I will miss 59 though.

#289 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

It seems you may have spoke a bit too soon. :grin:

Hopefully they will resolve it soon even with the odd circumstances.

Mike

No, I didn't speak too soon. I don't even know why you would say that. This will get resolved. Dish Network is the provider with retrans disputes that result in channels never coming back.
DTV = Digital Television

#290 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I live in the Harrisburg PA DMA but I live in Lewistown which is too far away for OTA. I now have 398 available just as Directv said. So for me, they did what they could. Both sides are doing things to negotiate and to make themselves seem like the good guys. A lot of info is available to go by and people can make their own decisions but I know where I feel the blame lies.

Hopefully they come to a deal by football though because I need the local FOX for the local NFL game because that will be blacked out on the ticket.

#291 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

First time I have been through one of these disputes. The brief time that I was with DISH, it did not happen. I am able to view KTLA over the air, so no distant network CW outlets are available on my receiver. I do hope that this is short.But I also agree with DirecTV that Tribune is listening to its creditors and so this may drag on a while.

#292 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I live in the Harrisburg PA DMA but I live in Lewistown which is too far away for OTA. I now have 398 available just as Directv said. So for me, they did what they could. Both sides are doing things to negotiate and to make themselves seem like the good guys. A lot of info is available to go by and people can make their own decisions but I know where I feel the blame lies.

Hopefully they come to a deal by football though because I need the local FOX for the local NFL game because that will be blacked out on the ticket.

Football season? This will probably be back on before the end of April....if not before Easter. The advertisers on these stations aren't going to like the fact their ads aren't being shown on Direct TV.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#293 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

It will not take that long, neither side can afford to piss off its viewers that much!

#294 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

It will not take that long, neither side can afford to piss off its viewers that much!

Yeah, I'm complete agree with you guys that it will be resolved much sooner than that, I was just saying I'm ok with the NY fox for a while.

The people I feel bad for are the Mets or Phillies fans that can't get their channels OTA and directv has no way to provide those channels to them. Although I'd bet that the Phillies fans who watch WPHL-17 are not on directv anyway with the lack of CSN Philly.

I think local sports is the biggest effect here, it just depends where you are

#295 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Funny, that DirecTV made this comment for Pappas station viewers who are being affected in a similar manner:

We have no problem compensating Pappas fairly, but we’re a video distributor, not an ATM

#296 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Only if you are outside the stations grade B signal contour, as filed at the FCC website. Otherwise, you need to use an antenna.

For those people who lost their locals, if you are within 25 miles or so of the transmitter, a 6" piece of wire inserted into the antenna jack on your TV may in a lot of cases, allow you to watch the station over the air if its on UHF. If its high VHF, use a 19" piece of wire.

For NY'ers with WPIX CW affiliate --> (as well as others that have either FOX or any other network on their tribune station,ABC or MY Network) Should the CW channel be open? or only open during CW programming??...the CW's majority of their programming is prime time..and not morning or afternoon stuff which is WPIX and a part of said blackout..

same can be asked for those that lost FOX per their local tribune station...can fox be available per the 390-399 range during FOX based shows?? if so 8pm tonight eastern is your checkup on channels 398 & *399 -->* 8pm respectively for the west coasters Pacific.

CORRECTION...Fox has a 12:30 eastern broadcast of NASCAR...so those that need to check if FOX will be on these alternates..there ya go

New Orleans,LA that has ABC impacted, you're up at 12:30pm eastern to see if 396 & 397 will have the NBA on ESPN game of the Chicago Bulls vs. Oklahoma Thunder.

So is it possible CW ch 394,395 may open during CW based shows?? If so guess we wont see anything till 8pm tomorrow. (without choosing a channel affiliate on CW's website) Per CW's main website no flagship show till 8pm Monday..

Should any of the Networks affected : ABC/My Network/FOX/CW...have their SPECIFIC broadcasts be open in this 390-399 range??

Edited by Santi360HD, 01 April 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#297 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Wow....

WPIX.com has a large banner saying that DIRECTV pulled the Tribune stations off the air, seemingly putting the blame on DIRECTV for not letting viewers watch the stations while talks continue.

Surprisingly, though, the article on their page says the following, contradicting their banner:

DirecTV Inc. subscribers in 19 U.S. markets have lost access to certain programming, after Tribune Broadcasting said it failed to reach a settlement with the satellite television provider in their contract negotiations. As a midnight deadline approached Saturday, Tribune Co.announced that it was pulling all of its stations off of the satellite TV provider in a dispute over retransmission fees

I'm glad they admitted THEY were the ones to pull the channesl, but their banners and headlines clearly want to blame DIRECTV for pulling the channels.

#298 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Lost Q13 Fox in Seattle. Now Distant Network Signals FoxwHD on channel 399 is working. Yeah

#299 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Wow....

WPIX.com has a large banner saying that DIRECTV pulled the Tribune stations off the air, seemingly putting the blame on DIRECTV for not letting viewers watch the stations while talks continue.

Surprisingly, though, the article on their page says the following, contradicting their banner:

I'm glad they admitted THEY were the ones to pull the channesl, but their banners and headlines clearly want to blame DIRECTV for pulling the channels.

they're also saying it was cut at the stroke of midnight, which is wasn't. I closed my bar at 2:30am and the signal was still up..Seems like from the other posters here that 3am was the cut.

#300 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Midnight is in the eye of the beholder. 3 a.m. in NY is midnight in LA.

spam firewall