Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

59 is gone now. Didn't even check 4. I was talking with my wife and said "I bet WGN is gone now too" and looked through the guide to find it and couldn't. Found out I didn't even have it in there. So I guess I won't miss it anyway. Used to watch WGN a lot. I will miss 59 though.

I am actually in the Lafayette DMA and 59 & 4 are still on here. I just assumed the Indy DMA would be the same. Don't quite understand why it would be any different.
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Midnight is in the eye of the beholder. 3 a.m. in NY is midnight in LA.

Midnight in aleutian time is 4am eastern...we could cross the water and define midnight in hawaii also..haha!

#303 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

I know its not directv's fault, but at any rate, if i was with directv now, CW in my area would be gone. I don't know about any of you, but my wife would be on the phone making them cancel the contract for no termination fee.

I know people talk about watching it over the air, and thats a possibility as long as you buy the am21N, and an antenna. Thats 100 bucks or more. Plus, who has one lying around just in case it happens?

Now we wait and see when and if this is resolved. If I had an installation for this weekend, I would have had to cancel. CW is at least 33% or more of the programming watched in my household.

#304 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I will say it again from previous posts...

Directv should have never cut corners on the OTA tuners. In Rochester, NY they refuse to carry CW(it is a sub-channel) which has twenty Yankees games. If they had the tuners, then many people would be able to simply watch it with very little problem. It would not cover all, but would make it less onerous to lose a local channel.

#305 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Wow....

WPIX.com has a large banner saying that DIRECTV pulled the Tribune stations off the air, seemingly putting the blame on DIRECTV for not letting viewers watch the stations while talks continue.

Surprisingly, though, the article on their page says the following, contradicting their banner:

I'm glad they admitted THEY were the ones to pull the channesl, but their banners and headlines clearly want to blame DIRECTV for pulling the channels.

That's the first non-DIRECTV statement that admits Tribune pulled the plug. I'm kinda surprised it was one of their stations.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#306 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

... Should any of the Networks affected : ABC/My Network/FOX/CW...have their SPECIFIC broadcasts be open in this 390-399 range??

No, DIRECTV is prevented by federal law from enabling any DNS programming for any period of time to those who do not meet its stringent eligibility requirements.

The local stations of course know that many only want them for their network programming and maybe local sports and exploit this law of market access exclusivity to force DIRECTV and other MSOs to either deal with them or deal with no one.

#307 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I know its not directv's fault, but at any rate, if i was with directv now, CW in my area would be gone. I don't know about any of you, but my wife would be on the phone making them cancel the contract for no termination fee.

I know people talk about watching it over the air, and thats a possibility as long as you buy the am21N, and an antenna. Thats 100 bucks or more. Plus, who has one lying around just in case it happens?

Now we wait and see when and if this is resolved. If I had an installation for this weekend, I would have had to cancel. CW is at least 33% or more of the programming watched in my household.

You'd have a hard time getting them to do it. They'd offer credits, but channel changes are specifically allowed in the contract.

#308 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

No, DIRECTV is prevented by federal law from enabling any DNS programming for any period of time to those who do not meet its stringent eligibility requirements.

The local stations of course know that many only want them for their network programming and maybe local sports and exploit this law of market access exclusivity to force DIRECTV and other MSOs to either deal with them or deal with no one.

Well channel 399 is now working for me, maybe because I'm outside the station signal B contour. I don't know but one DNS is working for me now. I didn't call Directv to ask it.

#309 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

For NY'ers with WPIX CW affiliate --> (as well as others that have either FOX or any other network on their tribune station,ABC or MY Network) Should the CW channel be open? or only open during CW programming??...the CW's majority of their programming is prime time..and not morning or afternoon stuff which is WPIX and a part of said blackout..

same can be asked for those that lost FOX per their local tribune station...can fox be available per the 390-399 range during FOX based shows?? if so 8pm tonight eastern is your checkup on channels 398 & *399 -->* 8pm respectively for the west coasters Pacific.

CORRECTION...Fox has a 12:30 eastern broadcast of NASCAR...so those that need to check if FOX will be on these alternates..there ya go

New Orleans,LA that has ABC impacted, you're up at 12:30pm eastern to see if 396 & 397 will have the NBA on ESPN game of the Chicago Bulls vs. Oklahoma Thunder.

So is it possible CW ch 394,395 may open during CW based shows?? If so guess we wont see anything till 8pm tomorrow. (without choosing a channel affiliate on CW's website) Per CW's main website no flagship show till 8pm Monday..

Should any of the Networks affected : ABC/My Network/FOX/CW...have their SPECIFIC broadcasts be open in this 390-399 range??

The channel is pulled. It's all-or-nothing. It doesn't matter what show is on. DirecTV makes a deal for a channel and not a block if time.

#310 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

No last minute contract. It looks like my AM-21 will get some more use.

#311 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'll save my hostility until Thursday. If I miss the Cubs season opener then I won't be a happy camper.

#312 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Guess I'll have to record 90210 on my backup Uverse.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#313 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I am actually in the Lafayette DMA and 59 & 4 are still on here. I just assumed the Indy DMA would be the same. Don't quite understand why it would be any different.

Not sure why either. Just checked channel 4 and it's gone as well.

#314 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Guess I won't be upgrading my HR20 to an HR34 any time soon then.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#315 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Starting Tuesday I'll be recording four CW shows on my "backup" systems: cable-card Tivo Premiere and Win7 Media Center.

Hopefully this is resolved before then so I can record through DIRECTV, as my TiVo is completely unreliable in keeping recordings when space gets full (even though shows are marked Keep Until I Delete) and it's a pain to watch the Win7 Media Center on the big screen through my Xbox.

#316 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Well channel 399 is now working for me, maybe because I'm outside the station signal B contour. I don't know but one DNS is working for me now. I didn't call Directv to ask it.

That must be it, since I am in the same DMA and 399 isn't available. I can't receive 13 here OTA, but it's on 22-2 in glorious SD!

#317 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

You'd have a hard time getting them to do it. They'd offer credits, but channel changes are specifically allowed in the contract.

hehe, you don't know my wife.

#318 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm well within the grade A service contour area for my local CW outlet KTLA-5 in Los Angeles here in South LA, and receive it fine OTA (AM21 on a HR22-100). But its a little funny since the shut-off the CW east DNS feed ch. 394 no longer shows as grayed-out in the CIG guide listings, yet if still gives me a 721 CNA message if I attempt to tune to it.

#319 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Guess I'll have to record 90210 on my backup Uverse.

Many of the big CW shows don't have new episodes until later this month so hopefully this will be resolved by then.

#320 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm well within the grade A service contour area for my local CW outlet KTLA-5 in Los Angeles here in South LA, and receive it fine OTA (AM21 on a HR22-100). But its a little funny since the shut-off the CW east DNS feed ch. 394 no longer shows as grayed-out in the CIG guide listings, yet if still gives me a 721 CNA message if I attempt to tune to it.

The problem I have is that I'm within that service contour also but between the broadcast towers and my house is some hills that are 300ft higher than the towers.

I'm closer the those hills than they are to the towers so I get nuthin'. AAMOF, I get a couple of the RI stations better than any of my CT locals and even they are un-watchable.

I live in a topographical bowl and don't qualify for DNS. :(

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...