Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Just checked and 398 is available to me in south central PA. (WPMT Fox 43 market)
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well, I'm with Directv on this one. I made sure I complained directly to Tribune. Seems these stations are just getting overly greedy these days.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#323 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

there sports has gotten better over the years

What are you talking about? They barely show any baseball games anymore. I remember they were pretty much the exclusive broadcaster of Cubs baseball. What are there 10 games this year?

I hope DirecTV holds their ground. I'm in a position to be able to watch them OTA.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#324 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

yuck; WGN channel 9 is local in the chicagoland area; guess i cant watch the hawks tonight

As others have stated... Put a short piece of wire into the Ant-Coax jack of your TV. Or better yet get a cheap set top antenna. They broadcast on UHF 19, so it should be fairly easy to pickup.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#325 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I will say it again from previous posts...

Directv should have never cut corners on the OTA tuners. In Rochester, NY they refuse to carry CW(it is a sub-channel) which has twenty Yankees games. If they had the tuners, then many people would be able to simply watch it with very little problem. It would not cover all, but would make it less onerous to lose a local channel.

Are you sure they are not broadcasting those games on an alternate channel.

For instance, in Chicago if a game is on Comcast Sports Network Alternative, they light up channel 666-1 HD, which is one number higher than the normal 665 Comcast Sports Net.

Just a thought.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#326 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

So I assume the Cubs games will not appear on MLB EI as well?
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#327 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

So I assume the Cubs games will not appear on MLB EI as well?

Well the Cubs feeds that are WGN wont appear in EI, but the CSN Chicago feeds will along with the opposing teams feeds.

#328 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm well within the grade A service contour area for my local CW outlet KTLA-5 in Los Angeles here in South LA, and receive it fine OTA (AM21 on a HR22-100). But its a little funny since the shut-off the CW east DNS feed ch. 394 no longer shows as grayed-out in the CIG guide listings, yet if still gives me a 721 CNA message if I attempt to tune to it.

Same thing in Orange County, CA

#329 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'll save my hostility until Thursday. If I miss the Cubs season opener then I won't be a happy camper.

If this doesn't get solved by Opening Day, you may be ok since you are outside the WGN broadcast area. You might find the game on an alternate channel. I would check the MLB extra channels. You never know what DirecTV might turn on for people outside of the broadcast signal area.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#330 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Another thing to consider is that other carriers will be watching this closely. If tribune gets away with something here, they will go after other Sat, Cable, Phone, etc. carriers and do the same thing.

I hope DirecTV holds ground.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#331 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

As others have stated... Put a short piece of wire into the Ant-Coax jack of your TV. Or better yet get a cheap set top antenna. They broadcast on UHF 19, so it should be fairly easy to pickup.

I live way too outside of Chicago to pick the channel up via Antenna. I'm on the very finge of their claimed viewing area. So fringe in fact that 2/3 markets can claim this area(the other is Peoria/Moline).
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#332 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Another thing to consider is that other carriers will be watching this closely. If tribune gets away with something here, they will go after other Sat, Cable, Phone, etc. carriers and do the same thing.

I hope DirecTV holds ground.

Most cable systems have experienced some type of extortion intransigence in negotiations from one media company or another in recent years.

As a Dish subscriber and a long time advocate of prohibiting retransmission fees for local OTA broadcast channels, I hope that DirecTV holds out.

When News Corps' Fox successfully said to affiliates last year it'll be $1 per subscriber per month from each of you and dumped any affiliate that refused, we all knew that we'd soon be paying an additional $5 per month within five years unless the "retransmitters" held their ground.

I'm still of the opinion that if we're going to pay that much, national networks should simply become cable channels and leave the locals to sink or swim individually based on what they can offer that would attract subscribers. The whole 1958 broadcast network model is so out of date.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#333 OFFLINE   irlspotter

irlspotter

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I thought the FCC passed a regulation that during negotiations the viewers could not be held hostage by forcing the provider to drop the channel. This totally sucks always being in the middle of the negotiation. There is a must-carry rule for cable, why doesn't that must-carry rule apply to DirecTV too!

#334 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I live way too outside of Chicago to pick the channel up via Antenna. I'm on the very finge of their claimed viewing area. So fringe in fact that 2/3 markets can claim this area(the other is Peoria/Moline).

In your case you are outside the OTA range. You should get the alternative 390-399 channels.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#335 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Guess I won't be upgrading my HR20 to an HR34 any time soon then.

Just get an AM21 or AM21N and you'll have the same setup but with 5 tuners and a 1TB HD!:D

#336 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

I haven't slept in 2 weeks worrying about losing my Tribune channels.

As of 9:20 EDT tonight, I can breathe easier, knowing all is indeed well.

????????? Oh the horror!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#337 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I no longer have Direct but sympathize with what they are doing. Enough already with these networks continuing to raise fees for something that is free. Congress needs to redo all this mess they created. Fortunately, I live near Chicago and have an outstanding OTA, so whatever service I would have would make a no difference to me if they dropped locals. My OTA provides the best HD PQ and if I'm not channel surfing I usually watch network programs OTA most of the time.

#338 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I thought the FCC passed a regulation that during negotiations the viewers could not be held hostage by forcing the provider to drop the channel. This totally sucks always being in the middle of the negotiation. There is a must-carry rule for cable, why doesn't that must-carry rule apply to DirecTV too!

The TV station has the choice of Must carry, or Fee based. If they choose Must carry, they cannot demand retrans fees. Most if not all Network stations do not claim Must carry, that is usually used by independents and religious broadcasters.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#339 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

WGN HD is gone.
Q13 Fox HD and JoeTv HD Seattle went down @12:00 AM.
Q13 Fox SD and JoeTv SD Seattle went down @12:16 AM.

No big deal, watch sometimg else!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#340 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

As I understand it, the FCC rule you're talking about is not retroactive, meaning carriage deals signed prior to the rule going into effect can still expire and lead to the channels being withheld. Deals signed after the rule went into effect would be covered. This question came up in the discussion back when Fox's deal was up for renewal back in October.

As for must-carry, that only applies if the station requests that status. Most stations nowadays don't do this because must-carry keeps them from receiving any retrans fees from the providers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...