Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I know its not directv's fault, but at any rate, if i was with directv now, CW in my area would be gone. I don't know about any of you, but my wife would be on the phone making them cancel the contract for no termination fee.

I know people talk about watching it over the air, and thats a possibility as long as you buy the am21N, and an antenna. Thats 100 bucks or more. Plus, who has one lying around just in case it happens?

Now we wait and see when and if this is resolved. If I had an installation for this weekend, I would have had to cancel. CW is at least 33% or more of the programming watched in my household.

$50 from DIRECTV will get you an am21. Ad if you called in and complained enough about it, they might be willing to give you one for free for all this mess. Heck, I might call in just to see if they are doing anything like that.

And and your wife would have zero chance of getting out of that contract for free.

Edited by inkahauts, 01 April 2012 - 12:32 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

????????? Oh the horror!

Paul,
If you go back and read the post above mine, you'll get the sarcasm I was aiming for....

....and apparently missed!

Cheers.

#343 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

As I understand it, the FCC rule you're talking about is not retroactive, meaning carriage deals signed prior to the rule going into effect can still expire and lead to the channels being withheld. Deals signed after the rule went into effect would be covered. This question came up in the discussion back when Fox's deal was up for renewal back in October.

As for must-carry, that only applies if the station requests that status. Most stations nowadays don't do this because must-carry keeps them from receiving any retrans fees from the providers.

Uh, the rule is they can't yank the channels without waring the customers. I don't think there is a single retransmission deal still in effect today that was signed before the 1992 rule went into effect.

#344 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'd be royally TICKED off if I lost The CW in HD (I only get mine in SD), but since I only lost WGN America, I hope DirecTV plays MAJOR hardball with them. :D

~Alan

#345 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I suspect there will be a deal by the time may sweeps start, tribune can't afford the loss of ad rates from a bad may sweeps.

#346 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Just hit up antennaweb to see what I would need to pull in my Tribune owned Fox station, KSWB. Here's the results I got:

Posted Image

Would that qualify me for DNS? Also, there is a small airport withing a mile of my location. Would their signals affect this?

I may be a geek, but I'm very much a n00b at this. :grin:
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#347 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm surprised no one has brought this up. This is one of the most elaborate April Fools jokes I've seen in a long time.:lol:

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#348 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I suspect there will be a deal by the time may sweeps start, tribune can't afford the loss of ad rates from a bad may sweeps.

I'd be surprised if it lasted longer than two weeks...

~Alan

#349 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Uh, the rule is they can't yank the channels without waring the customers. I don't think there is a single retransmission deal still in effect today that was signed before the 1992 rule went into effect.

OK, I must be thinking of something else. I thought a ruling was put in effect in response to one of the more recent disputes (might have been the Dish/Viacom one, but I don't remember which one for sure) that was intended to prevent this sort of practice from happening. And when the Fox issue happened, there was a report that mentioned the FCC rule and stated that it didn't apply because it wasn't retroactive.

#350 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,047 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wow....

WPIX.com has a large banner saying that DIRECTV pulled the Tribune stations off the air, seemingly putting the blame on DIRECTV for not letting viewers watch the stations while talks continue.

Surprisingly, though, the article on their page says the following, contradicting their banner:

I'm glad they admitted THEY were the ones to pull the channesl, but their banners and headlines clearly want to blame DIRECTV for pulling the channels.

Lost the Mets game.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#351 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Another thing to consider is that other carriers will be watching this closely. If tribune gets away with something here, they will go after other Sat, Cable, Phone, etc. carriers and do the same thing.

I hope DirecTV holds ground.

I fear that this is true. This is a test case for their bankruptcy creditors.

#352 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Just hit up antennaweb to see what I would need to pull in my Tribune owned Fox station, KSWB. Here's the results I got:

Would that qualify me for DNS? Also, there is a small airport withing a mile of my location. Would their signals affect this?

No, if you are in a market where locals are offered, you can't get DNS.

#353 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

They go by cities and markets and generalities, not by your individual situation. For example, I live in Orange County, CA which is part of the Los Angeles Designated Market Area (DMA). This morning I lost KTLA's OTA signal, for some reason, which happens on occasion. If I had called DirectTV for a waiver at that moment, they and KTLA would deny it because (A) I am geographically in their Grade B signal contour and, (B) I am well within the Los Angeles DMA. It doesn't matter that at my individual location I cannot at certain times get an OTA signal.

BTW, I got this signal back after repositioning the antenna. But you get my point.

#354 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

They go by cities and markets and generalities, not by your individual situation.

Technically, that is not true. Even if you are in the stations grade A service area, if you pay for, and can prove, that your location is not able to receive a signal, you can get DNS. The catch, however, is the government never set up an independent testing network in place, and what you would end up needing to do was hire an independent contractor with government approved signal measuring equipment, and take their results, and go to court with the TV station and get a court order to force the station to give you a waiver.

Amazing what N.A.B. money can accomplish.

It would be less expensive to just put up a 10' C band dish, and watch DNS free.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68880

Edited by Davenlr, 01 April 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#355 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Lost the Mets game.

So did the Mets.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#356 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Lost the Mets game.

Opening Day is on SNY so everyone should be able to see that at least.

The first WPIX game is a couple of weeks into the season.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#357 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

$50 from DIRECTV will get you an am21. Ad if you called in and complained enough about it, they might be willing to give you one for free for all this mess. Heck, I might call in just to see if they are doing anything like that.

And and your wife would have zero chance of getting out of that contract for free.

the antenna is another 30 or more, not to mention, shipping times etc. and as I said in another post, you don't know my wife, she would be gone and their would be no fee. at any rate, it sucks all around for everyone. But I fully agree that the stations can't bully the content providers or things will get out of hand quickly.

#358 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,046 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

the antenna is another 30 or more, not to mention, shipping times etc. and as I said in another post, you don't know my wife, she would be gone and their would be no fee. at any rate, it sucks all around for everyone. But I fully agree that the stations can't bully the content providers or things will get out of hand quickly.

Unless your wife works at DirecTV, she wouldn't get you out of the ETF. The TOS is there for a reason. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#359 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Technically, that is not true. Even if you are in the stations grade A service area, if you pay for, and can prove, that your location is not able to receive a signal, you can get DNS. The catch, however, is the government never set up an independent testing network in place, and what you would end up needing to do was hire an independent contractor with government approved signal measuring equipment, and take their results, and go to court with the TV station and get a court order to force the station to give you a waiver.

Amazing what N.A.B. money can accomplish.

It would be less expensive to just put up a 10' C band dish, and watch DNS free.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=68880

average viewers like me cannot afford all of that:nono2:

#360 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

well, there is no shipping from Directv for the am21, but yeah, if you don't have an antenna, you may need to get one. Although, if you live in the right spot, a paperclip would do :)

I am sure she gets her way a lot, but this would not be one of those cases... The only thing I have never heard of anyone getting around in terms of fees with Directv. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...