Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ive never watched any of them. Would miss WGN America's cubs games, except I get that channel on my secondary provider too.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,410 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Wonder how this might effect negotiations:

From the L A Times,

Tribune President and Chief Executive Eddy Hartenstein is a former CEO of DirecTV.

I think he was a founder of DirecTV. But, they had disputes with Fox after Chase Carey left DirecTV to be COO of Fox.

#23 OFFLINE   Eddie501

Eddie501

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've never quite understood the economics of retransmission fees with ad supported networks. You pull the network, ratings go down, and you get to charge less ad revenue.

Unless they make more money on transmission fees. In that case they should become a pay network & not make me have to see that stupid Geico lizard on every. single. commercial. break.

It seems very much like a cake & eat it too situation. Yet we still pay.....

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I've never quite understood the economics of retransmission fees with ad supported networks. You pull the network, ratings go down, and you get to charge less ad revenue.

We would not be having this discussion at all if the Government would quit protecting the local stations, and allow the sat carriers to offer a set of networks from New York, Denver, and LA like they used to be able to do. Those that wanted the local stations put up an antenna or subscribed to lifeline cable. Its the CON-gress being paid off by the N.A.B. lobbyists that is protecting the local stations by eliminating competition, and forcing us to pay whether we want them or not.

Ad rates are set during sweeps weeks I believe, so these short term greed-fests probably dont affect ad rates much... Now if it drags on for years, like some of Dish/Disney ones, then perhaps it does.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   SChonson

SChonson

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

And nothing of value will be lost!

#26 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

http://directvpromis...ng-negotiation/

Our negotiations with Tribune Broadcasting cover the following channels:
WGN America National Ch. 307
space space space
Local Stations: space space
WGN (CW) Chicago, IL Ch. 6
KDAF (CW) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Ch. 33
KWGN (CW) Denver, CO Ch. 2
WXMI (FOX) Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, MI Ch. 17
WPMT (FOX) Harrisburg-Lancaster, PA Ch. 43
WTIC (FOX) Hartford-New Haven, CT Ch. 61
WCCT (CW) Hartford-New Haven, CT Ch. 20
KIAH (CW) Houston, TX Ch. 39
WXII (FOX) Indianapolis, IN Ch. 59
WTTV (CW) Indianapolis, IN Ch. 4
KTLA (CW) Los Angeles, CA Ch. 5
WSFL (CW) Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL Ch. 39
WGNO (ABC) New Orleans, LA Ch. 26
WNOL (CW) New Orleans, LA Ch. 38
WPIX (CW) New York, NY Ch. 11
WPHL (MNT) Philadelphia, PA Ch. 17
KRCW (CW) Portland, OR Ch. 32
KTXL (FOX) Sacramento-Stockton, CA Ch. 40
KSWB (FOX) San Diego, CA Ch. 69
KCPQ (FOX) Seattle-Tacoma, WA Ch. 13
KZJO (MNT) Seattle, Tacoma, WA Ch. 22
WDCW (CW) Washington, DC – Hagerstown, MD Ch. 50
KPLR (CW) Saint Louis, MO Ch. 11

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

#27 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

And nothing of value will be lost!

tom skilling, cubs, bulls, blackhawks, sox. are BIG.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#28 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I we loose Fox 43 I will be forced to get Dish or go back to cable....Just saying.

#29 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

We would not be having this discussion at all if the Government would quit protecting the local stations, and allow the sat carriers to offer a set of networks from New York, Denver, and LA like they used to be able to do. Those that wanted the local stations put up an antenna or subscribed to lifeline cable. Its the CON-gress being paid off by the N.A.B. lobbyists that is protecting the local stations by eliminating competition, and forcing us to pay whether we want them or not.

Hear yea! hear yea! The truth of it all has been spoken. This LiL crap is purely that. Anybody wondering when they're going to get this or that HD/3D/blah blah/whatever/ they want just start counting the 100's of copies of the same thing that are being forced to be transmitted all over the country, up to space, and back down from space 50% or more of the time, sucking up a TREMENDOUS amount of resources that could have been being used for HD, or ANYTHING truly unique, long, long ago.

Edited by Racer88, 26 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I love the comments like "nothing will be lost" or "who will notice". Because you don't watch doesn't mean no one watches it, so let's not generalize.

I watch four shows on CW: Ringer, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, and Nikita. If Tribune tells DIRECTV to pull the channel if negotiations falter, I can always watch on my cable-card TiVo or on Windows Media Center, but I prefer to watch on DIRECTV.

Hopefully this is not a protracted negotiation ...

#31 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

The Fox stations are a bigger deal than the CW ones obviously. If people can't watch their American Idol heads are gonna roll!(Not that I care two licks about American Idol, but it is the reality of the situation.)
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#32 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I watch some of them and if they left -I will watch something else. Sooner or latter the breaking point (cost) will be reached by the consumer. Drop them and see what happens - The stations will lose eye balls and will only hurt themselves in the long run.

The Business plan (of carrier fee's) is just about over -with a new streaming device being added every day. Folks will vote with their pocket book at some point.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#33 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I hope DirecTV holds their ground. I don't understand why they should have to pay a local station to do them the favor of re-broadcasting it on DirecTV.

Go ahead and pull the stations money hungry tribune company. I will find other ways to watch the programs if I really want to watch them.

This is such BS. If they start paying these local stations to re-broadcast all that's going to do is raise everyone's rates.

DirecTV keep fighting. I'll listen to the few Cubs games that are even left on Channel 9 on the radio or in my case just watch them OTA.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#34 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

The odd reality of these disputes is that both sides need each other. If the station isn't on DirecTV, they're at a distinct disadvantage. At the same time, if the station isn't on DirecTV, DirecTV will take a lot of heat from subscribers. I guess it's just a question of who's got the most to lose?

Have we ever seen one of these disputes that WASN'T settled? I can't remember one. Somehow, they're always worked out.

#35 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

The odd reality of these disputes is that both sides need each other. If the station isn't on DirecTV, they're at a distinct disadvantage. At the same time, if the station isn't on DirecTV, DirecTV will take a lot of heat from subscribers. I guess it's just a question of who's got the most to lose?

Have we ever seen one of these disputes that WASN'T settled? I can't remember one. Somehow, they're always worked out.

We just had one two months ago involving WHDH and WLVI in Boston and WSVN in Miami - it lasted about 2 weeks.

#36 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

See http://www.chicagotr...0,7543897.story

Tribune television stations in 16 markets across the country, including WGN in Chicago, are threatening to cut off programming to millions of DirecTV subscribers after negotiations over retransmission fees broke down Monday.

The contract is set to expire March 31 and Tribune Co. is seeking compensation from the satellite TV provider to carry its programming, something it does not receive. Without resolution, the plug will be pulled Saturday at midnight.**

Queue the commercials of DirecTV saying "it is all Tribunes fault" and Tribune saying "it is all DirecTV's fault". Each side will throw a few million at convincing the public the OTHER one is the bad guy, and then see them make a deal at the last minute.

And then they will shove us customers with the bill.

Nothing to see here, this happens all across the country, with all providers, all broadcasters, and all stations.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#37 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

There's been a few. I think there was one in Washington state not that long ago.... but the reality is that if they don't solve it within a week or two, DirecTV will start losing customers, and the station will start losing advertisers (who were promised an x amount of viewers).

They both want the best deal. And it all depends on who can hold out the longest when they are both stubborn.

I, for one, am glad DirecTV doesn't always roll over and pays what the stations want. Because in the end, it will come out of OUR wallets. Let them stew for a few weeks, there are more important things in life to worry about.

Looks like I will lose KTLA5 in Los Angeles. Bummer. But survivable.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#38 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

of course this would happen, right before opening day...thankfully the first mets game on WPIX isn't until april 21st, the 14th game of the season. hopefully they will figure something out before then...

<< cue the "there are still mets fans out there?" jokes >>

#39 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Better check my WGN OTA feed
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#40 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

My local Fox station, KSWB, is on that list. Also saw in the guide "Important info about your Fox station".
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

spam firewall