Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I could care less what Fox pays a cable company.

Could not care less :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I was also confused by that post a while back. Sure its not the other way around where its what the cable company actually pays Fox?

#563 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Simply amazing these morons we're communicating important discussions via email rather than meeting in person.

I'd say this line in one of the emails:

Is pretty damning evidence against DTV. Tribune confirms here that they had an offer out but DTV didn't accept.

That actually refers to the earlier mention of DirecTV accepting the March 29th offer, which Tribune said didn't exist and they [Tribune] wanted the March 28th offer.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#564 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thankfully im not missing anything.....The CW Progrmaming is Crap.

Exactly!

To you...

Yes, The CW has some crap on it. HOWEVER, not all of it is.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm watching more NBC these days due to "The Voice," I'd say that The CW has more hours of programming on IT that I like than NBC... and getting close to FOX in that regard as well. CBS is the only network that TRULY blows it out of the water in that regard...

I don't watch "One Tree Hill" so it's not as painful as other times that it happens, but I'm CONSISTENTLY TICKED OFF whenever there is an HD tag in the GUIDE on my CW affiliate like it is tomorrow night. :mad: Add that to the fact that I've been watching some CW-HD programming I had recorded back when we briefly had CW-HD on my HR24-100 that I'm about to deactivate, and it's just cruel... :mad:

~Alan

#565 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Language evolves! I have decreed that "I could care less" is acceptable and is widely understood to mean the same as the original phrase........

:hurah:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#566 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

What I'm wondering is, what if DIRECTV's FCC complaint isn't just a negotiating tactic. What if Tribune's actually walked in the door knowing they had no power. Wouldn't that just be insane?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#567 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

What I'm wondering is, what if DIRECTV's FCC complaint isn't just a negotiating tactic. What if Tribune's actually walked in the door knowing they had no power. Wouldn't that just be insane?

I don't believe it's a negotiating tactic...

I'm open to the possibility that Tribune might not have been aware of their lack of power, but I don't think that excuses them for the situation. :rolleyes:

~Alan

#568 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

If true, then I wonder why DIRECTV in their official complaint to the FCC refers to WGN as the "last remaining national superstation?" :confused:

Under the line itemized,

COMPLAINT FOR FAILURE TO NEGOTIATE IN GOOD FAITH

2. Tribune owns 23 local television stations in 19 markets nationwide.
Tribune also owns the last remaining national “superstation,” WGN.

Even WGN itself stopped calling itself that. A superstation has to show the same programming out of market and in market. the day WGN stopped doing that they became a cable channel and not a supertation.

BTW if it WERE a superstation D* would be within their rights to start broadcasting it again without a retransmission consent agreement. That would not help them in Chicago with the local feed but it would give much of the country access to WGN America.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#569 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

TBS reconstituted itself as a regular cable station several years ago. It is no longer a superstation.

you are correct but I think that what is in question is whether WGN still is one and whether the tribune owned trio of KTLA, KWGN and WPIX are.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#570 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I could care less about this, as it's just TV after all, but in reality I care quite a bit. Language is important. Caring less and not caring less are two distinct levels of care. :)

I could not care less about those who dismiss the dispute because it's CW. One day you will find a channel that YOU care about is gone. Shoe, meet the other foot. Now walk a mile!

#571 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Other than my rates for WGN, I don't have a horse in this race, but at the least, it's an interesting "inside" look at the negotiating process. Not much was even redacted. Not that I'd call Derek Chang's cell phone asking for certain HD channels to be added :)

#572 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Other than my rates for WGN, I don't have a horse in this race, but at the least, it's an interesting "inside" look at the negotiating process. Not much was even redacted. Not that I'd call Derek Chang's cell phone asking for certain HD channels to be added :)

He'd just tell you what you wanted to hear anyway... :D

Playa's gon' play... :lol:

~Alan

#573 OFFLINE   ColonelJulius

ColonelJulius

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Any more insane than being in bankruptcy for 4 years?
The Tribune Co is a joke.

#574 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Doesn't the Tribune Co provide the guide data for DirecTv? Good thing that must be under a separate agreement, or our guides would just be blank!!!:D
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#575 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

If pressed, I am sure I could find a way to care less. But my current level of not caring seems adequate for the situation of not having CW39 and WGN here in Houston.

Tribune is not winning hearts and minds in this particular household. I think their big stick is the Chicago area blackout and the few missing Fox affiliates. Not hard to believe many other subs have not yet noticed the blackout.

If my post sounds angry, please re-read it with a smile.

#576 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

*ABC & Fox should have some pull to get their stations back on. Count on that pressure if a deal gets done

If it was all My Network & CW programming we might never see a resolution here.

*yes ABC is affected in one of the markets listed, New Orleans...While FOX & CW lead the mapping it'll be pressure from those 2 network's shows (ABC/FOX)that get a deal done and not the others..mainly Fox

Edited by Santi360HD, 03 April 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#577 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Doesn't the Tribune Co provide the guide data for DirecTv? Good thing that must be under a separate agreement, or our guides would just be blank!!!:D

From what I understand Tribune supplies the guide data for many service providers. I would think Direct also get their data from them.

#578 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

*ABC & Fox should have some pull to get their stations back on. Count on that pressure if a deal gets done

If it was all My Network & CW programming we might never see a resolution here.

*yes ABC is affected in one of the markets listed, New Orleans...While FOX & CW lead the mapping it'll be pressure from those 2 network's shows (ABC/FOX)that get a deal done and not the others..

I think you're underestimating the power that sports fans have...

~Alan

#579 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Simply amazing these morons we're communicating important discussions via email rather than meeting in person.

Is pretty damning evidence against DTV. Tribune confirms here that they had an offer out but DTV didn't accept.

E-mails funny :lol: There probably both at fault but each one won't admit it. Direct will cover up whatever to make them look like they are the good guys to the subs. It's just a bunch of corporate idiots playing hardball using the subscriber as a pawn. The subscriber is the one loosing here.:(

#580 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

I think you're underestimating the power that sports fans have...

~Alan

you're right about sports...sort of...

ABC with the NBA Playoffs..and FOX with Major League Baseball, and Fox's TV shows, since FOX is the bigger one affected, I'll stick with them...I feel will outweigh any complaint of WGN's Cubs & White Sox..then again depends where you are..

It really depends where you are. I'm in NYC and I have other options to see the affected WPIX-11 also a CW channel, has the NY Mets also. Im a Yankee fan but I'm not cool with losing any team's telecasts. Also, Im not feeling the loss of WGN America, it was nice to have an option of Cubs or White Sox games, but not anything I'd lose sleep over...

If Fox was affected here in NYC it'd be holy hell that would reign all over manhattan!!! NYC had an issue like this when Time Warner removed the MSG channel and it was Jeremy Lin that brought the impasse to a conclusion..

Which FOX show or sporting event may have pull?? remains to be seen..Does CW have anything 1st run right now that could pressure them as well? That could be their ace in the hole....we'll see

Protected By... spam firewall...And...