Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,054 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

My local Fox station, KSWB, is on that list. Also saw in the guide "Important info about your Fox station".

Yeah, I now have the same thing for my local channel 11, WPIX, with channel 11-1 now in the guide "Important Info. about your CW station".

You may have heard messages about the possible loss of your
CW station. For more information, please visit
www.DirectvPromis.com Series.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

I, for one, hope tribune demands WPIX be the national CW feed on Directv. In addition, they demand an HD feed be sold.

Just dreaming....

#43 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Here we go again. Fortunately these negotiations are usually settled at the last minute. But this is becoming an all-too-common situation. Crazy.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#44 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

I we loose Fox 43 I will be forced to get Dish or go back to cable....Just saying.

WHY? Stand behind DIRECTV and support them for negotiating fair retransmission fees and not folding to them and then having to raise prices more than the $3-4 yearly. :confused:

#45 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

of course this would happen, right before opening day...thankfully the first mets game on WPIX isn't until april 21st, the 14th game of the season. hopefully they will figure something out before then...

<< cue the "there are still mets fans out there?" jokes >>

My thoughts exactly. Although seems like I should start stringing up an antenna - just in case.

#46 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hopefully this is just going to be resolved since here in Philadelphia market we are like 99%rs as far as sports coverage. That is we already get shut out of almost all Sixers &Flyers games as well as 100 + of Phillies games because of Comcast .Now if we don,t get Tribune own CH17 we will miss getting at least 40 Phillies broadcasts .

#47 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Don’t get left in the dark
DirecTV is about to turn out the lights on dozens of local TV stations. Don’t let DirecTV take away your favorite shows. Select a station below and learn how you can fight back.

This also from that website. How exactly do you turn off a light that isn't there to turn on? :lol:

#48 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Here we go again. I would miss the 10:00 news on PIX but I'd live. I understand others would miss favorite shows, but the operative word here is "would."

I can only think of one DTV programming dispute that actually resulted in a channel being pulled and that was Versus. For one reason or another DTV always manages to get these things solved, so I won't be calling DTV and I won't be filling out forms or visiting propaganda websites because I'm pretty confident that none of these stations will go dark.

If they do, I'll worry about it then.

#49 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Rinse, Spin, Repeat...

I thought it was Wash, Rinse, Spin and then Repeat. :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Have we ever seen one of these disputes that WASN'T settled? I can't remember one. Somehow, they're always worked out.

G4

#51 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

I would happily pay for a direct feed from the networks (PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CW) and cut the local yahoos out of the mix entirely. Here in Little Rock, you are much more likely to see the entire screen jumbled up with weather garbage (usually tracking a minimal storm that is outside their viewing area) than the show anyway.

#52 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

We will be moving to another provider if WGN is dropped for more than a few days beyond the deadline date. As a sub since '98 we will miss the logical layout of channels and decent customer service but if they don't offer a channel we like to watch, why have the service?

One thing we won't miss is the unfixable HR-22, the Yugo of DVRs.

#53 OFFLINE   MrMiller

MrMiller

• Banned User
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hey guys long time reader.

They have been advertising it like crazy here including a full page ad in today's Hartford Courant. (The Hartford Courant is also owned by the same company)

Anyone else seeing a media blitz in their area due to this situation?

#54 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

It took, what, only three messages for the "good for DirecTV" crowd to chime in, as if DirecTV cares about anything other than its bottom line, or if this will prevent, ameliorate or even minutely effect the annual rate increase DirecTV will be "forced" to pass on to consumers in 2013, 2014, 2015 and beyond, in order to keep its profit margins on the ever-increasing upswing. (Since up is the only way ANY public corporation can ever have its profits go; logic and finite demand be damned.)

Obviously, DirecTV will keep trying to pay as little as they can (as any business would), while charging the absolute maximum possible the market will bear (again, naturally), all while doing the math on how much any particular channel loss/price increase will effect their bottom line (i.e. churn). Not how it will effect their customers mind you, but simply DirecTV's own bottom line.

I don't especially fault DirecTV for thinking this way, but I do have to roll my eyes at the continual back and forth and credulity regularly expressed here. Do the people who always chime in "thanking" DirecTV for "taking a stand" and "drawing a line" actually believe the rhetoric that DirecTV, or any corporation, is "fighting for" the consumer's best interest? Or "protecting" us from higher costs?

Beyond the $$$ you represent DirecTV doesn't give a rat's patoot about your "best interests." If it was legal for them to send a guy to your house and physically hang you by the heels and shake you solely to collect the loose change that falls out of your pockets don't think they, and just about other business, wouldn't do it in a heartbeat. The only interests DirecTV--and the channels for that matter--care about, are their own.

And, as someone else astutely and absolutely accurately pointed out, there will be a cost here: the eventual increase, no matter how large or small it is PLUS the escalating marketing war waged by both sides ... And there is zero doubt, no matter how this plays out, that every penny will, one way or another, ALL be passed on to the consumer, i.e. you and I. This slap fight Tribune and DirecTV are currently waging? Funded by us. I guarantee.

I don't even see how these channel disputes always get broken down into 'good guy' and 'bad guy' debates. Why does anyone buy into the P.R. spin? It's laughable on its face. As far as our own self-interest, and those of other non-stock-holding paying customer, they are always BOTH bad guys. Be it the now resolved year-long Versus fight, FOX channel stand-off, Viacom, Disney Jr., Tribune (which personally would mean we would lose our local CW and antenna isn't an option where we live), or a dozen other fights of this type that are now too frequent to recall... If the company I'm paying more and more every year to provide with me TV can't, or won't, provide the channels it promised, I'm the loser. Simply put: They have my money. I don't have my channel. It's getting beyond tiresome.

The arguments about whose 'fault' the negotiation breakdown is are childish and pointless and the public airing of grievances as a way to do business ever-so-annoying. I am beyond sick of the corporate press release regurgitation machine that couches every single carefully calculated financial decision--and that's what all of these "breakdown in negotiation" info spams are--and tries to spin it into a moral argument. One could easily argue that trying to do so is the company's obligation, but for goodness sake, let's be smarter than that and not buy into their pitch, OK? They can try and drag us into their playground game--the discourse of which rarely raises above the "nuh-uh" "yeah-huh" and "I know you are but what am I?" level--but we don't actually have to let them.

Years ago, when I used to regularly read about such stand-off tactics with Dish (and here I will insert a preemptive plea to please, skip the moral relevance arguments about which company is "worse," or does it more often) I was oh-so-happy that I wasn't beholden to that company. Now it seems DirecTV is embroiled in one public channel carriage smack down or another just about constantly. Some directly effect me, some don't. But there's always some loyal, paying customer getting the shaft.

I just want to pay for my service and turn on my TV and tune to whatever channel I was told I am paying for when they took my funds and have it work. Is that too much to ask? (And before someone argues: I assure you, it's not.) I don't want, or need, to know how the sausage is made. To have to write to this entity or call that one or post on this or that Facebook or Twitter page, or sign a petition to express my desire to continue receiving what I'm already signed up and paying for.

I pay good, hard-earned money for television, and in the case of DirecTV I pay them a lot, to AVOID this sort of hassle. Cut the B.S. and make the deal. Or, for that matter, don't. But just say come out and say it--that you are dropping such-and-such channel on such-and-such date because you couldn't reach a deal--and allow those that want to, to go elsewhere. Stop threatening customers with channel contract end dates and "tense negotiations" whilst using us as both battering rams (the "write/call/tweet" command) and pawns in your back-and-forth.

Ugh. So frustrated.

Edited by susanandmark, 27 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#55 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

It's this simple with me. No WGN =no baseball= No Directv. I will be looking at U-verse or Dish. You don't charge me more and give me less.

#56 OFFLINE   kp1783

kp1783

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

so does this void my contract with Directv if they lose WGN ? that was one of the channels originally touted when I signed up...

#57 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

so does this void my contract with Directv if they lose WGN ? that was one of the channels originally touted when I signed up...

Nope.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#58 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

It does NOT void your contract...(Link)

"...we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time"

Sorry.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#59 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

It's this simple with me. No WGN =no baseball= No Directv. I will be looking at U-verse or Dish. You don't charge me more and give me less.

Since it usually takes a day or 2/3 to arrange an installer to come set it all up (about 4-6 weeks for U-Verse actually since there is line provisioning needed to be done, etc), I presume you already have made the call to Dish Network?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Switch for your wallet, but don't switch for a dispute. Disputes usually get resolved, especially these kind, and there is no guarantee Dish won't have the same dispute next.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#60 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

No it doesn't. So it's up to you to decide whether WGN is worth the ETF.

Meanwhile, in California KTLA started jumping up and down: http://www.telldirectv.com/ktla/
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...