Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#851 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

You can try and make that argument for the cable channel, but for the locals, no. It is obviously tribunes fault in this instance, and in full. I don't really say that usually, but this is the exception to the rule. Local stations are free, and they should be thrilled if they are able to get any money for them at all, and should take what they can get and run. There is also zero excuse for them forcing the stations down while negotiating, when obviously they where very close to a deal. It was obviously a negotiating tactic by tribune, or most likely their creditors that have no legal say in the matter as of yet anyway, as can be seen in the emails sent to DIRECTV form tribune in the FCC complaint.

I know that everyone here is saying that the locals should not ask for compensation but they have the legal right to and they do indeed command a fee in the marketplace. whether we like it or not it is simply a reality.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#852 OFFLINE   kenhilton

kenhilton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

does anyone know if the CWE 394 is going to go back to CW out of DC? not a huge deal but liked the reruns of two and a half men at 6pm. just noticed it is still CW out of Baltimore

#853 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

That's what I meant by "deal". I wasn't talking specifically about a formal contract.

The original post made it sound like since there was no agreement carriage was forbidden and there was nothing either side could do about it. While I don't see this whole thing in the stark black and white terms that others do I think it is clear that tribune was preventing carriage perhaps because they thought they woulld get abetter deal by doing so. They were perfectly within their rights to do so but Tribune still prevented carriage.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#854 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

MSG / MSG+
YES
SNY
Fuse
ESPNews HD
Disney Channel HD
Disney XD HD
ABC Family HD

Thanks..

#855 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

On what? You state you're not subscribing to either sat. service.

I'll come back when I eventually move.

#856 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Tribune pulled the plug, not DirecTV. DirecTV agreed to a deal prior to the deadline.

what part of "doesnt matter which side pulled the plug" from my original thread,do you not understand??...they were absent, and a message indicated the pull..so technically the channel wasnt black screen DARK..do you deny that Hoosier??

playing politics is one thing..being factual is another!! cmon now...

#857 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

There really is not much to learn through this experience other than we should expect things like this to continue and continue and continue in the future.

I am a bit surprised at the sheer effort put in by both sides whenever these arguments come about....I expect both sides to issue PR puff pieces and to be bias...but it seems like even if the blackout is for days....we have twitter wars, etc....

I mean, just get the darn deals done and stop trying to sway the public so much.

#858 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

what part of "doesnt matter which side pulled the plug" from my original thread,do you not understand??...they were absent, and a message indicated the pull..so technically the channel wasnt black screen DARK..do you deny that Hoosier??

I can't find my decoder ring. What? It does matter. Tribune pulled the plug and flubbed this whole thing up.
DTV = Digital Television

#859 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,044 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

I think it does make a difference as since if its the media company that caused it, Tribune in this case, can pull the same tactic with other providers.

#860 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,794 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

I think it does make a difference as since if its the media company that caused it, Tribune in this case, can pull the same tactic with other providers.

It's a certain guarantee that Tribune WILL pull the same tactic with other providers. And other station owners will do the same when their contracts come for renewal. This madness will continue until Congress steps in.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#861 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,130 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

It's a certain guarantee that Tribune WILL pull the same tactic with other providers. And other station owners will do the same when their contracts come for renewal. This madness will continue until Congress steps in.

While I agree with what you're saying about Tribune and other providers may I remind you that Congress is the opposite of Progress.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#862 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,044 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Hopefully with one formal complaint to the FCC, I'd hoe they'd drop their tactics.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...