Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

This is an industry wide situation...and yes, that includes Comcast. Heck, Comcast's dispute with the Tennis and Disney channels come to mind with the Tennis Channel dispute going to court.

Don't think it's limited to satellite. Cable has the exact same dispute issues.

Mike

this may be true, but cable isn't missing any channels, cable has bbc america in HD, they have sprout. So while there may be disputes that you hear about, when picking cable its about how much you going to bend over for the cost of it all, at least in South FL you aren't giving up channels unlike when you pick satellite and its what you can live without. Right now Directv seems best as giving up the least compared to Dish if you have kids.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

this may be true, but cable isn't missing any channels, cable has bbc america in HD, they have sprout. So while there may be disputes that you hear about, when picking cable its about how much you going to bend over for the cost of it all, at least in South FL you aren't giving up channels unlike when you pick satellite and its what you can live without. Right now Directv seems best as giving up the least compared to Dish if you have kids.

I don't think there's a service provider out there who has all the HD channels, cable or satellite. Cable may have the channels you care about in HD but I'll bet their missing channels someone else cares about.

Nobody has it all...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#128 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

CWE 394 is now WNUV out of baltimore, was greyed out but works fine...

Yeah, what's up with 394 being greyed out? It still works.. Looks like this could be a lengthy "dance" with Tribune as they have switched to Baltimore CW!

#129 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

looks like the only channel affected in the detroit market is wgn america, is that correct?

#130 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

If they want to play these games I will play too. Every 2 years I will simply switch providers and get the best deal they have for 12 months.

#131 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Some good news....

http://www.broadcast...etrans_Deal.php

#132 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Some good news....

http://www.broadcast...etrans_Deal.php

That sounds encouraging. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#133 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

If they want to play these games I will play too. Every 2 years I will simply switch providers and get the best deal they have for 12 months.

...that would affect the service provider and not the content provider. You wouldn't be playing even remotely the same game.
DTV = Digital Television

#134 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

...that would affect the service provider and not the content provider. You wouldn't be playing even remotely the same game.

I would be playing the winning game....:lol:

#135 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would be playing the winning game....:lol:

If you look pure at the dollarsigns.... maybe.

But there is something to be said about having to learn new equipment, giving up certain features/channels that others might not have, losing all your DVR recordings again when you switch, having to take time off work to make sure the installer does things right, etc.... And in some cases, it would be convincing the wife that it IS a good thing to switch, and having to learn a new system and channel-lineup is really for the best!

Switching providers is actually quite a pain. If it was real easy, those people who like "basic HD" would have switched to Dish a LONG time ago.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#136 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

If you look pure at the dollarsigns.... maybe.

But there is something to be said about having to learn new equipment, giving up certain features/channels that others might not have, losing all your DVR recordings again when you switch, having to take time off work to make sure the installer does things right, etc.... And in some cases, it would be convincing the wife that it IS a good thing to switch, and having to learn a new system and channel-lineup is really for the best!

Switching providers is actually quite a pain. If it was real easy, those people who like "basic HD" would have switched to Dish a LONG time ago.

Don't Have any DVR and Only one HD receiver.... Not that hard for me!

But I do hope they settle this.

#137 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Just to be clear, this happens Saturday night at midnight,correct?

#138 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Technically it would be 4/1/12 but yes after midnight tomorrow the agreement ends and Tribune can state to remove the channels.

#139 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

It looks like they reset the ticker for 30 more days on Fox http://www.fox43.com/

#140 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

It looks like they reset the ticker for 30 more days on Fox http://www.fox43.com/

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing on that page to indicate any type of extension.

#141 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

An agreement has been reached. Here Ya Go.

http://www.marketwat...ions-2012-03-31

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 31 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

µß

#142 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Broadcast stations will not be shut off. DIRECT and Tribune will negotiate a separate agreement for WGN, so the fate of WGN is still in the air.

#143 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Why do they negotiate for months? Just wait until 3 days before the contract expires, and get down to it. It always goes to the last minute anyway.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#144 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

What I find really interesting is that it's on Saturday that DIRECTV announces it accepted the terms offered on Thursday for the broadcast stations. Says to me that DIRECTV really wanted to have WGN included in the deal along WITH the broadcast stations, but Tribune must really be holding out for a MUCH higher rate for WGN.

#145 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Broadcast stations will not be shut off. DIRECT and Tribune will negotiate a separate agreement for WGN, so the fate of WGN is still in the air.

I would be willing to bet that they find some way to keep WGN America :)

DirecTV Subscriber 1998-2014, 2015-present

Entertainment ~ NFLST

(1) H24  

SL3 LNB

#146 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Here is the DIRECTV release (Link).

Mike

µß

#147 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Why do they negotiate for months? Just wait until 3 days before the contract expires, and get down to it. It always goes to the last minute anyway.

Just like watching a basketball game. :)

#148 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

http://www.wgntv.com/
Tribune Broadcasting has not reached an agreement or come to terms with DIRECTV on any aspect of its contract, which expires at midnight tonight. Any statement by DIRECTV to the contrary is inaccurate and misleading. DIRECTV subscribers will likely lose WGN-TV at midnight tonight. Click here to tell DIRECTV you want to keep WGN Sports, WGN News, the CW and all your favorite shows. Time is running out!

#149 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

http://www.marketwat...ions-2012-03-31

Tribune Statement On DirecTV Negotiations

CHICAGO, March 31, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Tribune Broadcasting released the following statement regarding its negotiations with DirecTV:

"Tribune Broadcasting has not reached an agreement or come to terms with DirecTV on any aspect of its contract, which expires at midnight tonight. Any statement by DirecTV to the contrary is inaccurate and misleading."

TRIBUNE is one of the country's leading multimedia companies, operating businesses in broadcasting, publishing, and interactive. The company's broadcasting group owns or operates 23 television stations, WGN America on national cable and Chicago's WGN-AM. In publishing, Tribune's leading daily newspapers include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Sun Sentinel (South Florida), Orlando Sentinel, Hartford Courant, The Morning Call and Daily Press. Popular news and information websites complement Tribune's print and broadcast properties and extend the company's nationwide audience.

SOURCE Tribune Broadcasting

Copyright © 2012 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

#150 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I agree with the earlier posts on that the local affliates shouldn't get money from providers(D*,E*,ATT,FIOS,local Cable company) for signals that they are giving away for free. The providers put more eyes on the stations, they(local channels) could just get the money from advertisers based on the increased number of viewers.
my setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...