Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

this is what makes it so hard to pull the trigger on satellite, constant battles like this. CW in southflorida is affected by this. 90% of the stuff watched in my household is cw, abc family and syfy.

say what we want about cable, but comcast has all these channels. not that i want to donate my son to pay those prices, but i gotta get away from uverse soon. I guess i'll see how this plays out this weekend before making any decisions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

this is what makes it so hard to pull the trigger on satellite, constant battles like this. CW in southflorida is affected by this. 90% of the stuff watched in my household is cw, abc family and syfy.

say what we want about cable, but comcast has all these channels. not that i want to donate my son to pay those prices, but i gotta get away from uverse soon. I guess i'll see how this plays out this weekend before making any decisions.

Cable has battles with channels, too.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#123 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

It took, what, only three messages for the "good for DirecTV" crowd to chime in, as if DirecTV cares about anything other than its bottom line, or if this will prevent, ameliorate or even minutely effect the annual rate increase DirecTV will be "forced" to pass on to consumers in 2013, 2014, 2015 and beyond, in order to keep its profit margins on the ever-increasing upswing. (Since up is the only way ANY public corporation can ever have its profits go; logic and finite demand be damned.)

Obviously, DirecTV will keep trying to pay as little as they can (as any business would), while charging the absolute maximum possible the market will bear (again, naturally), all while doing the math on how much any particular channel loss/price increase will effect their bottom line (i.e. churn). Not how it will effect their customers mind you, but simply DirecTV's own bottom line.

I don't especially fault DirecTV for thinking this way, but I do have to roll my eyes at the continual back and forth and credulity regularly expressed here. Do the people who always chime in "thanking" DirecTV for "taking a stand" and "drawing a line" actually believe the rhetoric that DirecTV, or any corporation, is "fighting for" the consumer's best interest? Or "protecting" us from higher costs?

Beyond the $$$ you represent DirecTV doesn't give a rat's patoot about your "best interests." If it was legal for them to send a guy to your house and physically hang you by the heels and shake you solely to collect the loose change that falls out of your pockets don't think they, and just about other business, wouldn't do it in a heartbeat. The only interests DirecTV--and the channels for that matter--care about, are their own.

And, as someone else astutely and absolutely accurately pointed out, there will be a cost here: the eventual increase, no matter how large or small it is PLUS the escalating marketing war waged by both sides ... And there is zero doubt, no matter how this plays out, that every penny will, one way or another, ALL be passed on to the consumer, i.e. you and I. This slap fight Tribune and DirecTV are currently waging? Funded by us. I guarantee.

I don't even see how these channel disputes always get broken down into 'good guy' and 'bad guy' debates. Why does anyone buy into the P.R. spin? It's laughable on its face. As far as our own self-interest, and those of other non-stock-holding paying customer, they are always BOTH bad guys. Be it the now resolved year-long Versus fight, FOX channel stand-off, Viacom, Disney Jr., Tribune (which personally would mean we would lose our local CW and antenna isn't an option where we live), or a dozen other fights of this type that are now too frequent to recall... If the company I'm paying more and more every year to provide with me TV can't, or won't, provide the channels it promised, I'm the loser. Simply put: They have my money. I don't have my channel. It's getting beyond tiresome.

The arguments about whose 'fault' the negotiation breakdown is are childish and pointless and the public airing of grievances as a way to do business ever-so-annoying. I am beyond sick of the corporate press release regurgitation machine that couches every single carefully calculated financial decision--and that's what all of these "breakdown in negotiation" info spams are--and tries to spin it into a moral argument. One could easily argue that trying to do so is the company's obligation, but for goodness sake, let's be smarter than that and not buy into their pitch, OK? They can try and drag us into their playground game--the discourse of which rarely raises above the "nuh-uh" "yeah-huh" and "I know you are but what am I?" level--but we don't actually have to let them.

Years ago, when I used to regularly read about such stand-off tactics with Dish (and here I will insert a preemptive plea to please, skip the moral relevance arguments about which company is "worse," or does it more often) I was oh-so-happy that I wasn't beholden to that company. Now it seems DirecTV is embroiled in one public channel carriage smack down or another just about constantly. Some directly effect me, some don't. But there's always some loyal, paying customer getting the shaft.

I just want to pay for my service and turn on my TV and tune to whatever channel I was told I am paying for when they took my funds and have it work. Is that too much to ask? (And before someone argues: I assure you, it's not.) I don't want, or need, to know how the sausage is made. To have to write to this entity or call that one or post on this or that Facebook or Twitter page, or sign a petition to express my desire to continue receiving what I'm already signed up and paying for.

I pay good, hard-earned money for television, and in the case of DirecTV I pay them a lot, to AVOID this sort of hassle. Cut the B.S. and make the deal. Or, for that matter, don't. But just say come out and say it--that you are dropping such-and-such channel on such-and-such date because you couldn't reach a deal--and allow those that want to, to go elsewhere. Stop threatening customers with channel contract end dates and "tense negotiations" whilst using us as both battering rams (the "write/call/tweet" command) and pawns in your back-and-forth.

Ugh. So frustrated.

You do realize that customers leaving because of higher costs effects the bottom line right? What's good for the customer is good for the company.
Give this a read, perhaps it will enlighten you.
http://voci.com.au/d...atisfaction.pdf

Edited by inf0z, 29 March 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

You do realize that customers leaving because of higher costs effects the bottom line right? What's good for the customer is good for the company.

Very frequently! Certainly over the long term it is.

It seems that our posting couple is pretty anti-capitalist; at least anti big business, at least that seems to pervade many of their posts. [S & M- is that correct?]
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#125 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

This is an industry wide situation...and yes, that includes Comcast. Heck, Comcast's dispute with the Tennis and Disney channels come to mind with the Tennis Channel dispute going to court.

Don't think it's limited to satellite. Cable has the exact same dispute issues.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#126 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

This is an industry wide situation...and yes, that includes Comcast. Heck, Comcast's dispute with the Tennis and Disney channels come to mind with the Tennis Channel dispute going to court.

Don't think it's limited to satellite. Cable has the exact same dispute issues.

Mike

this may be true, but cable isn't missing any channels, cable has bbc america in HD, they have sprout. So while there may be disputes that you hear about, when picking cable its about how much you going to bend over for the cost of it all, at least in South FL you aren't giving up channels unlike when you pick satellite and its what you can live without. Right now Directv seems best as giving up the least compared to Dish if you have kids.

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

this may be true, but cable isn't missing any channels, cable has bbc america in HD, they have sprout. So while there may be disputes that you hear about, when picking cable its about how much you going to bend over for the cost of it all, at least in South FL you aren't giving up channels unlike when you pick satellite and its what you can live without. Right now Directv seems best as giving up the least compared to Dish if you have kids.

I don't think there's a service provider out there who has all the HD channels, cable or satellite. Cable may have the channels you care about in HD but I'll bet their missing channels someone else cares about.

Nobody has it all...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#128 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

CWE 394 is now WNUV out of baltimore, was greyed out but works fine...

Yeah, what's up with 394 being greyed out? It still works.. Looks like this could be a lengthy "dance" with Tribune as they have switched to Baltimore CW!

#129 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

looks like the only channel affected in the detroit market is wgn america, is that correct?

#130 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

If they want to play these games I will play too. Every 2 years I will simply switch providers and get the best deal they have for 12 months.

#131 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Some good news....

http://www.broadcast...etrans_Deal.php

#132 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Some good news....

http://www.broadcast...etrans_Deal.php

That sounds encouraging. :)

Mike

µß

#133 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

If they want to play these games I will play too. Every 2 years I will simply switch providers and get the best deal they have for 12 months.

...that would affect the service provider and not the content provider. You wouldn't be playing even remotely the same game.
DTV = Digital Television

#134 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

...that would affect the service provider and not the content provider. You wouldn't be playing even remotely the same game.

I would be playing the winning game....:lol:

#135 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would be playing the winning game....:lol:

If you look pure at the dollarsigns.... maybe.

But there is something to be said about having to learn new equipment, giving up certain features/channels that others might not have, losing all your DVR recordings again when you switch, having to take time off work to make sure the installer does things right, etc.... And in some cases, it would be convincing the wife that it IS a good thing to switch, and having to learn a new system and channel-lineup is really for the best!

Switching providers is actually quite a pain. If it was real easy, those people who like "basic HD" would have switched to Dish a LONG time ago.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#136 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

If you look pure at the dollarsigns.... maybe.

But there is something to be said about having to learn new equipment, giving up certain features/channels that others might not have, losing all your DVR recordings again when you switch, having to take time off work to make sure the installer does things right, etc.... And in some cases, it would be convincing the wife that it IS a good thing to switch, and having to learn a new system and channel-lineup is really for the best!

Switching providers is actually quite a pain. If it was real easy, those people who like "basic HD" would have switched to Dish a LONG time ago.

Don't Have any DVR and Only one HD receiver.... Not that hard for me!

But I do hope they settle this.

#137 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Just to be clear, this happens Saturday night at midnight,correct?

#138 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Technically it would be 4/1/12 but yes after midnight tomorrow the agreement ends and Tribune can state to remove the channels.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#139 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

It looks like they reset the ticker for 30 more days on Fox http://www.fox43.com/

#140 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

It looks like they reset the ticker for 30 more days on Fox http://www.fox43.com/

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing on that page to indicate any type of extension.

spam firewall