Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

An agreement has been reached. Here Ya Go.

http://www.marketwat...ions-2012-03-31

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 31 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Broadcast stations will not be shut off. DIRECT and Tribune will negotiate a separate agreement for WGN, so the fate of WGN is still in the air.

#143 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Why do they negotiate for months? Just wait until 3 days before the contract expires, and get down to it. It always goes to the last minute anyway.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#144 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

What I find really interesting is that it's on Saturday that DIRECTV announces it accepted the terms offered on Thursday for the broadcast stations. Says to me that DIRECTV really wanted to have WGN included in the deal along WITH the broadcast stations, but Tribune must really be holding out for a MUCH higher rate for WGN.

#145 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Broadcast stations will not be shut off. DIRECT and Tribune will negotiate a separate agreement for WGN, so the fate of WGN is still in the air.

I would be willing to bet that they find some way to keep WGN America :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#146 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Here is the DIRECTV release (Link).

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#147 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Why do they negotiate for months? Just wait until 3 days before the contract expires, and get down to it. It always goes to the last minute anyway.

Just like watching a basketball game. :)

#148 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

http://www.wgntv.com/
Tribune Broadcasting has not reached an agreement or come to terms with DIRECTV on any aspect of its contract, which expires at midnight tonight. Any statement by DIRECTV to the contrary is inaccurate and misleading. DIRECTV subscribers will likely lose WGN-TV at midnight tonight. Click here to tell DIRECTV you want to keep WGN Sports, WGN News, the CW and all your favorite shows. Time is running out!

#149 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Tribune Statement On DirecTV Negotiations

CHICAGO, March 31, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Tribune Broadcasting released the following statement regarding its negotiations with DirecTV:

"Tribune Broadcasting has not reached an agreement or come to terms with DirecTV on any aspect of its contract, which expires at midnight tonight. Any statement by DirecTV to the contrary is inaccurate and misleading."

TRIBUNE is one of the country's leading multimedia companies, operating businesses in broadcasting, publishing, and interactive. The company's broadcasting group owns or operates 23 television stations, WGN America on national cable and Chicago's WGN-AM. In publishing, Tribune's leading daily newspapers include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Sun Sentinel (South Florida), Orlando Sentinel, Hartford Courant, The Morning Call and Daily Press. Popular news and information websites complement Tribune's print and broadcast properties and extend the company's nationwide audience.

SOURCE Tribune Broadcasting

Copyright © 2012 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

#150 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I agree with the earlier posts on that the local affliates shouldn't get money from providers(D*,E*,ATT,FIOS,local Cable company) for signals that they are giving away for free. The providers put more eyes on the stations, they(local channels) could just get the money from advertisers based on the increased number of viewers.
my setup here

#151 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Tribune Statement On DirecTV Negotiations

CHICAGO, March 31, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Tribune Broadcasting released the following statement regarding its negotiations with DirecTV:

"Tribune Broadcasting has not reached an agreement or come to terms with DirecTV on any aspect of its contract, which expires at midnight tonight. Any statement by DirecTV to the contrary is inaccurate and misleading."

TRIBUNE is one of the country's leading multimedia companies, operating businesses in broadcasting, publishing, and interactive. The company's broadcasting group owns or operates 23 television stations, WGN America on national cable and Chicago's WGN-AM. In publishing, Tribune's leading daily newspapers include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Sun Sentinel (South Florida), Orlando Sentinel, Hartford Courant, The Morning Call and Daily Press. Popular news and information websites complement Tribune's print and broadcast properties and extend the company's nationwide audience.

SOURCE Tribune Broadcasting

Copyright © 2012 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

Now, that's an interesting development. I wonder where this is leading.

Mike

µß

#152 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

What a shock I knew they would agree to something. Both parties doing their usual and trying to use us as pawns in their games. :rolleyes:

#153 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118052128
DirecTV, Tribune tussle over deal
Companies in dispute on carriage agreement as contract deadline nears
By Cynthia Littleton
DirecTV and Tribune Broadcasting are sparring over whether the companies have come to a carriage agreement for Tribune's 23 stations.

DirectTV issued a statement Saturday morning indicating that the sides had reached a deal. But Tribune later disputed that characterization.

The sides have been in negotiations for the past few days to beat a midnight Saturday expiration of its previous contract.

The companies have been wrangling for months over a new retransmission consent agreement covering Tribune-owned stations and WGN America to replace a contract that expired at midnight tonight. As of Friday evening, the sides were said to be significantly apart on the fees that Tribune sought in exchange for allowing the satcaster to retransmit its station signals in markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and Washington, D.C.....[redacted]

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 31 March 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#154 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Now, that's an interesting development. I wonder where this is leading.

Mike

So, who's misleading who? I have to think that D* wouldn't out a statement saying they have an agreement when they actually didn't. Talk about opening an pandora's box!
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#155 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

So, who's misleading who? I have to think that D* wouldn't out a statement saying they have an agreement when they actually didn't. Talk about opening an pandora's box!

It is odd that DIRECTV would put out a press release and not have actually come to any agreement. Weird.

Mike

µß

#156 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Same statement on Q13 Fox and JoeTV Seattle.

http://www.telldirectv.com/q13fox/

http://www.joeswall.com/

#157 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hmmm. Interesting development. It looks like the DIRECTV press release says that they agreed to the financial terms proposed by Tribune. That's not the same as Actualy signing an agreement, but usually the signing would closely follow. That is, unless the word financial indicates that there are other non-financial terms that DIRECTV is not agreeing to, that Tribune is still adamant about.
DogLover

My Setup

#158 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Is DIRECTV is trying to pressure Tribune on reaching an agreement for WGN by releasing the statement that the broadcast contract is settled?

Is Tribune reneging on a deal for the broadcast stations?

Did DIRECTV misunderstand the agreement reached Thursday on the broadcast station?

Did DIRECTV's marketing arm again release something too soon?

#159 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Is DIRECTV is trying to pressure Tribune on reaching an agreement for WGN by releasing the statement that the broadcast contract is settled?

Is Tribune reneging on a deal for the broadcast stations?

Did DIRECTV misunderstand the agreement reached Thursday on the broadcast station?

Did DIRECTV's marketing arm again release something too soon?

It's simple PR in trying to absolve your organization of blame if/when the channels are removed. DirecTV can say, "We agreed to pay you what you wanted, but you now want more."

Those non-financial consideration could be about subchannels, length of deal, plus WGN America. Tribune Co. likely wants to include WGN America along with the locals and not make it a separate deal.

#160 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

My thinking is that those in charge at Tribune don't want WGN America seperate and this may be a big reason why a deal isn't done and why tribune's statement came out after Directv stated they had a deal.

It's simple PR in trying to absolve your organization of blame if/when the channels are removed. DirecTV can say, "We agreed to pay you what you wanted, but you now want more."

Those non-financial consideration could be about subchannels, length of deal, plus WGN America. Tribune Co. likely wants to include WGN America along with the locals and not make it a separate deal.

spam firewall