Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV has lost and got back Tribune stations due to retrans dispute

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

This is getting fun.
I might make some popcorn for more stuff like this!

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=660948

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

wgn america seems to be the sticking point.
http://www.chicagotr...0,3337996.story
The disagreement over the agreement seems to hinge on terms for WGN America, Tribune's national cable network.

#163 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

wgn america seems to be the sticking point.
http://www.chicagotr...0,3337996.story
The disagreement over the agreement seems to hinge on terms for WGN America, Tribune's national cable network.

The sticking point is Direct TV apparently negotiating in good faith, Tribune is not. I believe Direct TV 100%....... Maybe they should take my earlier advice, tell Tribune to go away. See how the bankruptcy court likes that.

#164 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

The sticking point is Direct TV apparently negotiating in good faith, Tribune is not. I believe Direct TV 100%....... Maybe they should take my earlier advice, tell Tribune to go away. See how the bankruptcy court likes that.

If wgn disappears tonight, I'll be pissed, but will deal with it for a while...at least until the Hawks and Bulls playoffs start. Then I will be super pissed and look to change providers if we start missing playoff games. Maybe it is time to look at basic cable from Comcast so I can have all my locals on a DR plan when each of them have issues like this.

I believe both are negotiating in good faith for their side...to each his own. I am not choosing sides, but the end result ALWAYS means higher prices for the customer.

#165 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

DIRECTV Responds to Tribune Statement

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- We're extremely perplexed as Tribune management and DIRECTV had a handshake deal on Thursday with an agreed upon rate for their channels. Their actions are the true definition of "bad faith" in every sense of the term.

We can't help but wonder whether Tribune's ability to negotiate a reasonable retransmission agreement with DIRECTV is being undermined by the complexities and competing interests in their lengthy bankruptcy process. Despite our best efforts to compensate Tribune fairly for both WGN America and the local stations, it seems they are focused on unduly benefitting their creditors rather than viewers. Threatening station blackouts to extract an exorbitant fee for all of Tribune's content may provide an improved return for certain banks and hedge funds, but is not in the interest of its viewers and is not a cure for bankruptcy.

If the local stations and WGN America do come down at midnight, it will be 100% Tribune's decision to take them away from customers. To come so close and then renege on terms that affect millions of customers defies Tribune's long history of protecting the public interest. However, we hope Tribune does the right thing and honors their word, keeps the channels on and puts customers before creditors.

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=660948

#166 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

If there was an agreement to keep them on, and Tribune has unilaterally backed out to make fools of the negotiators at DTV, I believe the channels should be yanked for good.

#167 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

If there was an agreement to keep them on, and Tribune has unilaterally backed out to make fools of the negotiators at DTV, I believe the channels should be yanked for good.

You can't take at face value what either one of them are putting out.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#168 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 920 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Maybe they are holding out to finish contract terms for DirecTV to carry the SupperStation package like Dish Network has today.

KTLA (Los Angeles), WPIX (New York), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston) and WWOR (New York)

Oh wait, just dreaming in HD again, it will never happen.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#169 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

See what I mean about playing games ....Dish network 250 channel package and free DVR and Free HD coming up Monday. Fox soccer channel too!

#170 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

See what I mean about playing games ....Dish network 250 channel package and free DVR and Free HD coming up Monday. Fox soccer channel too!

Dish doesn't play games? DirecTV has Fox Soccer Channel.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#171 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Dish doesn't play games? DirecTV has Fox Soccer Channel.

Read my past postings. I will get rid of Dish after 2 years if they mess with my service and go back to D TV and get one of those wonderful deals for new newbies.
You don't need to get the sports pack to get the Soccer channel on Dish. This way I will always getting good deals at a good price. Game on!:hurah:

#172 OFFLINE   or8ital

or8ital

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm unable to get the local CW channel over the air in my area. It is not owned by Tribune but Directv is telling me this is due to this dispute. Is that true?

It won't display it as an available station and of course, as a result, won't show it in the guide. I can't even tune to it manually.

#173 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like the same thing that happened with Versus, but that was settled at the last minute. I don't that D* is so big that they would chance losing one of their top super stations over this. Somebody will blink. :up_to_som

Peace Whoga
"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

#174 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm unable to get the local CW channel over the air in my area. It is not owned by Tribune but Directv is telling me this is due to this dispute. Is that true?

It won't display it as an available station and of course, as a result, won't show it in the guide. I can't even tune to it manually.

No, makes no sense at all. Suspect it's just a story some CSR made up to get you off the phone. More likely it just is not in DirecTV's off-air guide, and DirecTV has basically stopped adding stations to the guide because of size constraints. If it is not in the guide, then unless you have an H20 receiver, or the new HR34 with an AM21N, you won't be able to receive it

#175 OFFLINE   or8ital

or8ital

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

No, makes no sense at all. Suspect it's just a story some CSR made up to get you off the phone. More likely it just is not in DirecTV's off-air guide, and DirecTV has basically stopped adding stations to the guide because of size constraints. If it is not in the guide, then unless you have an H20 receiver, or the new HR34 with an AM21N, you won't be able to receive it

I have hr34 but with am21. Not am21n. Would that make a difference?

#176 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I just entered 9-1 so I can make sure I'm watching WGN OTA and this is the image that shows up on my screen:

Posted Image

You have to make sure you have both 9-1 channels in your guide. Just a heads up!

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#177 OFFLINE   bonscott

bonscott

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Good thing this is not football season. No nfl on fox tomorrow would cause a major problems

#178 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Good thing this is not football season. No nfl on fox tomorrow would cause a major problems

What about the Nascar race?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#179 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Playing games? There is a very distinct difference between DirecTV and Dish Network retrans disputes - DirecTV resolves them and Dish Network doesn't.
DTV = Digital Television

#180 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

I haven't slept in 2 weeks worrying about losing my Tribune channels.

As of 9:20 EDT tonight, I can breathe easier, knowing all is indeed well.

spam firewall