Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

are hd channels any better in the rain yet?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

well for measuring I was figuring if the tv is still showing the program, then it works, is that not good enough?

That would work for "if you get" a signal, but can't work to know how much attenuation you have used.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

i kept forgetting to ask this, if I had it installed, is there anyway to test for rain fade while the installer is here, like spraying a hose over the dish or something?

No. Rain fade is from huge quantities of water (as in multiple miles of dense cloud cover) between the satellite and the dish. Spraying the hose over the dish would not do anything unless one of the RG6 connectors was installed incorrectly, but those either fail immediately (without water) or else they take weeks to months to fail.

I only get rain fade when the storm band runs the same direction as the LOS from my dish to the satellite. Rain overhead does nothing. When storms come from the southwest, then I sometimes loose the signal for a few minutes before the storm gets to my house, but by the time the rain is actually hitting the ground at my house, the signal is back.

Hurricanes, on the other hand, come from the east or southeast. I did not loose the signal through several hurricanes and tropical storms, even though I got more than 8 inches of rain in an hour.

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

No. Rain fade is from huge quantities of water (as in multiple miles of dense cloud cover) between the satellite and the dish. Spraying the hose over the dish would not do anything...

It would depend on how much water you could put on the dish.
Wet towels do work VERY WELL, as I've used them, "but" without a meter or way to measure the attenuation, you have no idea if you're simulating a "light sprinkle" or the "monsoon from hell", making the whole test meaningless.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

i kept forgetting to ask this, if I had it installed, is there anyway to test for rain fade while the installer is here, like spraying a hose over the dish or something?

WHen installed correctly, you should only lose signal in the worst conditions and usually only for short periods of time. Everyone occasionally experiences rain fade, if that is a non-starter for you, you need to stick with a provider that is hard wired and doesnt depend on line of sight to work.

#45 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

are had [HD?] channels any better in the rain yet? My coworker down here in south florida says he switches to SD during the rain, is that the only solution?

Your co-worker is a fool, it's very dangerous to have TV's outside in the rain whether HD or SD. It will ruin your TV. But in any case wet HD is the same as dry HD sans the shock hazard.

;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...