Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper + how many Joeys

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Just saw a post where the writer quoted a hopper + 3 joeys. Exactly how many Joeys can one hopper run. I was told 2 from my installer but I pointed out on the brochedure it shows one hopper and 3 joeys. So what is the max joeys per Hopper....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

If Hopper and all 3 Joeys used at the same time, not all can watch four independent live feeds. There are only three, two would have to share a feed or watch something prerecorded.

#4 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

I was supposed to get 3 joeys but my installer said he could only connect 2 joeys per hopper..That I would have to purchase another Hopper...My chat with dish before the install said I would be receiving 3 joeys but I only got 2. I only needed 2 at the install because my 4th tv is a non HD and since she (Sales rep)said 3 joeys, I thought when I buy a hd to replace the other I would already have the joey waiting for it... .
Wanna hear something funny, Installer hooked up my joey out in my garage and it was not working correctly and he told me that the TV was not able to receive a signal through the brick wall. I am a electrician, my Dad worked on tv`s his whole life, installed antennas and the first Satellites, so I have plenty of knowledge on whats going on, he was just blowing smoke, then proceeds to tell me my coax cable wire was not big enough. In the end everything was working correctly once he stopped watching (sharing)the TV in the house, he had the joey set to what was showing in the family room...
It just keeps getting better and better all the time.......

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Do you know if the installer was a contractor or a DISH employee? The Hopper can handle up to 3 Joeys. If you were suppose to get 3, then 3 should have been installed. Please PM your account information to me so I can assist you further. Thanks.

I was supposed to get 3 joeys but my installer said he could only connect 2 joeys per hopper..That I would have to purchase another Hopper...My chat with dish before the install said I would be receiving 3 joeys but I only got 2. I only needed 2 at the install because my 4th tv is a non HD and since she (Sales rep)said 3 joeys, I thought when I buy a hd to replace the other I would already have the joey waiting for it... .
Wanna hear something funny, Installer hooked up my joey out in my garage and it was not working correctly and he told me that the TV was not able to receive a signal through the brick wall. I am a electrician, my Dad worked on tv`s his whole life, installed antennas and the first Satellites, so I have plenty of knowledge on whats going on, he was just blowing smoke, then proceeds to tell me my coax cable wire was not big enough. In the end everything was working correctly once he stopped watching (sharing)the TV in the house, he had the joey set to what was showing in the family room...
It just keeps getting better and better all the time.......

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Contact the DIRT team. You should have received the 3 Joeys, with no extra charge, and the 3rd Joey will run the 4th TV just fine using the RCA output (with an adapter if necessary).

DIRT beat me to it!

#7 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Felix (ID: KZR): If you go with 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys then your monthly bill will be for $73.99 plus taxes.

Michael : then its 99.99 \
Michael : afgter 12 months
Felix (ID: KZR): Let me check that for you.
Michael : so I can get hopper plus 3 joeys for 73.99
Michael : ok
Felix (ID: KZR): Yes, for the 1st year and after that there will be a $20 increase.

Edited by Hawgster, 27 March 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

pm sent

#9 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

The hopper can have 3 joeys. Just your basic rg59 can run a joey. The explanation of 1 joey must watch a recorded program or watch whatever one of the other units is watching is problem. Most people don't understand you cannot watch 4 live shows with your hopper 3 joey system.So if you want a 4 room setup a 2 hopper 2 joey setup is the better setup unless you CLEARLY understand the hopper 3 joey setup.
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

The standard four room is one Hopper and three Joeys ... but yes, many here do not conform to standards and spring for the second Hopper.

#11 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

If the Hopper is set to record prime time shows, then am I correct that during prime time it can only support two HD sets to watch live HD independently?

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

If the Hopper is set to record prime time shows, then am I correct that during prime time it can only support two HD sets to watch live HD independently?

It depends on what they want to watch. If you want to watch prime time live you can. You can have different Joeys watching different prime time networks at the same time, while all four channels record and the other two tuners are available for live or recording. The old "watching what you're recording" feature is still there.

If you want to watch three non-PTA channels live at the same time during prime time you'll need a second Hopper to add tuners.

#13 OFFLINE   wildnphx

wildnphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

It depends on what they want to watch. If you want to watch prime time live you can. You can have different Joeys watching different prime time networks at the same time, while all four channels record and the other two tuners are available for live or recording. The old "watching what you're recording" feature is still there.

If you want to watch three non-PTA channels live at the same time during prime time you'll need a second Hopper to add tuners.

:new_popco:new_popco:new_popco

Protected By... spam firewall...And...