Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Asus RT-N66U

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Does anybody have the Asus RT-N66U router? Wondering if it is possible to detach one of the antennas and attach a different wired one about 30 feet away (I have a main spot where I'd like the router, but I'd like to place an antenna in a window for better coverage)? EXACTLY what kind of cable would I use for this? Antenna recommendations?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

The losses in the antenna cable at 30' would far outweigh the placement of the antenna. You'd be better off (and possibly as cheap) finding an N router (refurb for cheaper) and run cat5 from your current router to the LAN port of the new one - turn off DHCP and set the same SSID / security key and to a different N channel.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

What about 2 cables with an amplifier in between? If not, any problem running Cat6/cat7 cable 30 feet?

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Cat 5 / 6 / 7 can go 300 feet between ethernet nodes. Cable is cheap. In fact, go further than 30' to get the AP centralized to the area you want to cover.

Consumer amplifiers (read inexpensive) at 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz aren't available. There are some 'range extenders' but I'd go the AP route or use dd-wrt and convert a router to a client bridge.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

That would get it where I want it without taking it outside (Which would be IDEAL, but I realize that's not going to happen).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...