Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sluggish GUI. Hardware or Habit Changes?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aziz

aziz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Folks:

Sluggish GUI. What kind of changes have you made to accommodate? Did you replace with a new hardware or just change your viewing habits? I did the latter.

It seems that you have to buy a new hardware just to keep up with the latest firmware. What did you do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Folks:

Sluggish GUI. What kind of changes have you made to accommodate? Did you replace with a new hardware or just change your viewing habits? I did the latter.

It seems that you have to buy a new hardware just to keep up with the latest firmware. What did you do?

I cleared my playlist of unneeded recordings, deleted unneeded series links and out of season series links, and changed most season links to keep at most three episodes.

It feels much more responsive access times for guide and playlist. Might just be perception.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'd changed settings on my receiver for scrolling effects etc. I ended up getting new hardware, but one wasn't really planned, and my HR34 was for non speed reasons.

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Folks:

Sluggish GUI. What did you do?

I did this just a few minutes ago ;)

#5 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Agreed! My almost 5 year old HR20-100 can barely keep up with all these software updates anymore. It's like trying to install all the latest cool games and software apps on a 10 year old PC. Good luck running those with an outdated OS, processor and memory. The new GUI looks great and is a nice improvement but is still performing some basic functions very SLOWLY :nono2:

D* should at least offer existing customers guaranteed replacement model upgrade DVRs with the latest hardware models. None of this "can't guarantee which DVR model you will get if you upgrade" crap! I have a free HD-DVR upgrade credit and I want a new HD-DVR but if I buy from somewhere else I'm afraid I won't get the $200 credit from D*.

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Folks:

I try to use my H25 as a front end for my HR21s and HR22. Otherwise, I try to practice my patience. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#7 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I didn't do anything (have one HR21 and one HR23) and things are definitely not what I expected. The boxes just don't seem able to keep up with the HDGUI. We shouldn't have to change our recording habits ("I'm sorry, sir, but don't expect your car to go fast.") to get a box that runs well without frustrating delays.

#8 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

The boxes just don't seem able to keep up with the HDGUI.

EXACTLY!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

I havent done anything but b***hed so far. I WILL be adding an HR24 and relegating my HR23 to the bedroom soon. That was always the plan anyway.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Folks:

Nah, OLD hardware does the trick! I just watch more TV on my R15's (which respond lightning-fast) and less on my lethargic R22. ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall