Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Direct Couldn't or Wouldn't Match Dish - Gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

I called to schedule my cancellation this morning, but I was more than willing to listen to what DirecTV wanted to offer to keep my business.

Although they came close on the pricing ($5 more per month), these key points made me decide and go head with the move to Hopper/Joey.

1. DirecTV would not guarantee that I would receive a newer and more capable primary DVR. I've come very close to shooting the HR20 on numerous occasions. I don't have to manually defrost my refrigerator and I don't think I should have to manually jump through hoops to make my DVR work properly.

2. 4 rooms with Hopper/Joey - Direct only offered 3 rooms, one of which would have to remain SD.

Into the unknown....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Don't forget to update your profile.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I give it two weeks before he crawls back to D*

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

I was a Dish customer for seven years before I went to DirecTV in 2007.
I've been with both. I'm crawling back now. :P

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

I was a Dish customer for seven years before I went to DirecTV in 2007.
I've been with both. I'm crawling back now. :P

I've been with both too, and may be following you in the very near future. I'm not watching Doctor Who in D*'s glorious SD this year! :)

There are plenty of things to like and dislike about both services, neither has a lock on 'nearly perfect' by a long shot!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I called to schedule my cancellation this morning, but I was more than willing to listen to what DirecTV wanted to offer to keep my business.

Although they came close on the pricing ($5 more per month), these key points made me decide and go head with the move to Hopper/Joey.

1. DirecTV would not guarantee that I would receive a newer and more capable primary DVR. I've come very close to shooting the HR20 on numerous occasions. I don't have to manually defrost my refrigerator and I don't think I should have to manually jump through hoops to make my DVR work properly.

2. 4 rooms with Hopper/Joey - Direct only offered 3 rooms, one of which would have to remain SD.

Into the unknown....

You could have easily ordered a specific receiver online and had DirecTV credit you the amount upon activation. Enjoy that Dish Network HD-Lite!

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

If DirecTV could have given you a good price on the HR34, that would have been a guarantee.

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Looks like another thread headed into the toilet.

Marlin Guy, good luck to you.

I found DirecTV just as "responsive" during a call recently asking about the added line item on my bill and U-verse pricing.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

You could have easily ordered a specific receiver online and had DirecTV credit you the amount upon activation. Enjoy that Dish Network HD-Lite!

He'll probably enjoy it just fine, just like most do. It ain't all that observable you know?

As to the credit deal, is that a certainty? From what I read here in lots of different posts, it is about the same crapshoot that the pricing on a HR34 for existing customers is. Some get it, some don't, with usually no rhyme or reason that is discernible.

Lloyd

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Dish will do the same 2 years from now if you try to get them to match DirecTV's new customer deals. Seems crazy not to try to keep current subs since new subs are so expensive, but that's how the game works.

I can tell you first hand that Dish's new Hopper/Joey system is fantastic, as is their basic HD lineup. Forums are loaded with posts from former DirecTV subs who just hopped over and are quite pleased. I think you'll be pleased as well.

Lparsons, my son and I are also really looking forward to Doctor Who in HD again this season. That's one of the major reasons I switched from DirecTV to Dish a few years ago. I'm very glad I did. DirecTV has a lot of catching up to do in basic HD to make me come crawling back.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm assuming you know of both the benefits and limitations of the Hopper/Joey system right? If you get 3 Joey's, not all boxes can watch something live independently, the deal with PrimeTime Anytime etc.

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Dish will do the same 2 years from now if you try to get them to match DirecTV's new customer deals. Seems crazy not to try to keep current subs since new subs are so expensive, but that's how the game works.

I can tell you first hand that Dish's new Hopper/Joey system is fantastic, as is their basic HD lineup. Forums are loaded with posts from former DirecTV subs who just hopped over and are quite pleased. I think you'll be pleased as well.

Lparsons, my son and I are also really looking forward to Doctor Who in HD again this season. That's one of the major reasons I switched from DirecTV to Dish a few years ago. I'm very glad I did. DirecTV has a lot of catching up to do in basic HD to make me come crawling back.

Both D* and E* are pretty pathetic when it comes to existing subs, but in all honesty D* is a bit better with programming credits and such in my experience. I shift premiums around a fair bit and often they offer some sort of short credits to get me to not drop something.

I switched to D* 'cause my adult son wanted NFLST so he could watch his sainted San Diego Chargers, but he doesn't want to pay for this upcoming season, and I get more than enough football on the channels I don't have to pay extra for. But I'm more interested in the basic HD and if truth be told, I probably shouldn't have switched.

Come August of this year, I'll have been with D* a year and the rebates all expire. I can then pay the $240 ETF and still pocket another $240 if I switch. I most likely will.

Lloyd

#13 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

I say its best to switch, no point in being dissatisfied with old outdated equipment. If Directv doesnt care if hes a customer, then switch.

If he comes back in two years, hes guaranteed directvs latest equipment and will be happy once again.

Services on both are about the same, unless you need your $800 a year sports package, thats just nonsense

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

If he comes back in two years, hes guaranteed directvs latest equipment and will be happy once again.

Uh, no you are not guaranteed the latest equipment, nor even new boxes unless you go through a retailer. If you order online with D*, you get what's on the truck.

Lloyd

#15 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Services on both are about the same, unless you need your $800 a year sports package, thats just nonsense

I have NHL CI, MLB EI, NFL ST, & NBA LP... I didn't even pay $800 for all four combined.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

"The same..." not from what I've seen.
As for buying the sports, it all depends on your preferences. Would never switch to Dish. I would probably not be happy with your viewing preferences.

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Uh, no you are not guaranteed the latest equipment, nor even new boxes unless you go through a retailer. If you order online with D*, you get what's on the truck.

And when the truck shows up you can always refuse the service.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#18 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you want specific equipment, get it yourself. Don't screw the installer.

#19 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm assuming you know of both the benefits and limitations of the Hopper/Joey system right? If you get 3 Joey's, not all boxes can watch something live independently, the deal with PrimeTime Anytime etc.

Not an issue at all in my home. Just the wife and I. We watch most programming together in the den or in our bedroom. I want to be able to watch tv when I'm working in my new home office and she wants to be able to watch something or play music while on the treadmill in the utility room.

I'll use the sling adapter to stream the news to my PC while eating lunch when I eat lunch at home.

#20 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

That is exactly what the DirecTV CS rep said on the phone.
I told them that I knew exactly what I was getting with Dish, and I am not going to play installer roulette.

spam firewall