Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to wire RF Modulator?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I've got a Joey in my bedroom and would like to mirror this to my kitchen TV.
How do I wire in an RF Modulator?
My Joey is currently connected to the TV with the component out of the Joey.
The RG6 cable comes from the Hopper to the Joey.

Thanks
Dish Network Customer since 12/1996
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Connect Yellow/red/white RCA composite cables from the Joey to the modulator. Since you already use Red/white, you need to pick up splitters for those from radio shack or use HDMI to the tv. Next, run a new coax cable from the modulator to the kitchen tv. Then tune to the channel selected on the modulator (3 or 4). Since you have to run a new cable anyway, you could just run RCA directly from the joey to the kitchen and not use a modulator at all and the picture quality will be better.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Since you have to run a new cable anyway, you could just run RCA directly from the joey to the kitchen and not use a modulator at all and the picture quality will be better.

It is much easier to run one coaxial cable than it is to run a coax and two audio cables.

More often than not a modulator is a better solution unless the cable run is short (<15').
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Connect Yellow/red/white RCA composite cables from the Joey to the modulator. Since you already use Red/white, you need to pick up splitters for those from radio shack or use HDMI to the tv. Next, run a new coax cable from the modulator to the kitchen tv. Then tune to the channel selected on the modulator (3 or 4). Since you have to run a new cable anyway, you could just run RCA directly from the joey to the kitchen and not use a modulator at all and the picture quality will be better.

The installer told me to run the composite from Joey to RF modulator and then run RG6 to my TV in bedroom and to TV in kitchen. so the incoming rg6 from hopper would plug into joey and then I would need a splitter to go to both TV's from the coax out of the rf modulator. is this correct?
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Unless something changed recently, the Joey does NOT feature a component output.

You may be best served to connect a modulator to the Joey RCA outputs and run both TVs RF.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

The installer told me to run the composite from Joey to RF modulator and then run RG6 to my TV in bedroom and to TV in kitchen. so the incoming rg6 from hopper would plug into joey and then I would need a splitter to go to both TV's from the coax out of the rf modulator. is this correct?

Yes, that's what I recommend as well.

#7 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Unless something changed recently, the Joey does NOT feature a component output.

You may be best served to connect a modulator to the Joey RCA outputs and run both TVs RF.

My TV now is connected to the Joey via the yellow, red and white cables.
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

OK, that's composite not component. So the installer and harsh are correct. If tuning to ch 3 or 4 doesn't work right away, you'll also need to do an analog channel scan on each TV after everything is connected. If your modulator is like my Dynex, you won't used the antenna connection at all, just the Y/R/W input and the coax to TV output. What model is your bedroom TV? Does it have a DVI input by chance? If so, you can get an HDMI/DVI cable, gain HD and not have use RF for it.

Edited by mdavej, 28 March 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yes, that's what I recommend as well.

can this signal be combined with an ota signal via a backwards splitter & just run 1 cable to the distant tv...much like using the home distribution setup on a 722?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

can this signal be combined with an ota signal via a backwards splitter & just run 1 cable to the distant tv...much like using the home distribution setup on a 722?

That depends on whether you have a local channel that broadcasts on the channels that your modulator can send on. If you've got a strong station on either channel, the modulator signal may be interfered with.

The good news is that since the digital conversion most areas don't have low VHF channels. You need to check with tvfool.com and see of there are any "real" channels in the area of 3-4.

#11 OFFLINE   Snydley

Snydley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I've got a Joey in my bedroom and would like to mirror this to my kitchen TV.
How do I wire in an RF Modulator?
The RG6 cable comes from the Hopper to the Joey.

Thanks

Since you're already using the composite connections for your TV you need to go to a local electronics store and buy 2 composite "Y" cables with 1 male and 2 female ends on each, then connect them to the Joey, the TV and an old VCR or RF modulator for the kitchen TV. I mirrored a Hopper by connecting an old VCR's composite input to the Hopper's composite output, using the RF modulator in the VCR instead of buying a dedicated RF modulator for the setup. You just have to be sure to change the VCR's input to AV1,(or whatever it's called on your VCR), and pressing the TV/VCR button on the remote, or the unit itself, so that it's changed to VCR. This works great and I didn't have to buy a separate RF modulator for the Hopper. Lastly run a coax cable,RG6, to the kitchen TV from the VCR or RF modulator's RF coax output.You can do the same thing with a Joey. Most of us still have an old VCR laying around.

Edited by Snydley, 30 March 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Old thread, but I need to mirror my Hopper to another room, prewired with coax. Don't have an RF Modulator, but the VCR idea got me thinking. Can I hook up my Panny recorder via component, and then use the RF out on the recorder to the other room? Kills 2 birds... and don't need to buy a Modulator.

Since you're already using the composite connections for your TV you need to go to a local electronics store and buy 2 composite "Y" cables with 1 male and 2 female ends on each, then connect them to the Joey, the TV and an old VCR or RF modulator for the kitchen TV. I mirrored a Hopper by connecting an old VCR's composite input to the Hopper's composite output, using the RF modulator in the VCR instead of buying a dedicated RF modulator for the setup. You just have to be sure to change the VCR's input to AV1,(or whatever it's called on your VCR), and pressing the TV/VCR button on the remote, or the unit itself, so that it's changed to VCR. This works great and I didn't have to buy a separate RF modulator for the Hopper. Lastly run a coax cable,RG6, to the kitchen TV from the VCR or RF modulator's RF coax output.You can do the same thing with a Joey. Most of us still have an old VCR laying around.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Try and tell us if it working for you ;).

#14 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

most vcr's will do that for you, but you have to leave the vcr powered on and set to line 1, or whichever input you hooked up to.

#15 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Old thread, but I need to mirror my Hopper to another room, prewired with coax. Don't have an RF Modulator, but the VCR idea got me thinking. Can I hook up my Panny recorder via component, and then use the RF out on the recorder to the other room? Kills 2 birds... and don't need to buy a Modulator.

I believe you mean the composite (yellow, red, white), component would be Red, Green and Blue for video and red, white for audio. Most vcr's do not have component connections, but the setup you describe should work.

#16 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

You're right... I saw the RGB on my recorder and "thought" they would work... but they are outs not ins. Yellow it is since the Hopper has no S-video. Had too many other things to do today, will try it tomorrow. Should be a great way to feed video to all other prewired coax in the house (garage, outdoors, kitchen)... if I had that many TV's :rolleyes: Would seldom get used, so having the DVD recorder on isn't a big deal.

I believe you mean the composite (yellow, red, white), component would be Red, Green and Blue for video and red, white for audio. Most vcr's do not have component connections, but the setup you describe should work.

#17 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm all for doing things on the cheap, but an RF modulator is only $10 and has a stronger signal for the kind of distribution you're talking about.

One place you can save a few bucks is remotes. Since you'll need new remotes at all those locations, you can usually pick up 32.0's on ebay a lot cheaper than new 40.0's.

#18 OFFLINE   rtroeh

rtroeh

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Assuming the tv near the Joey has both composite and coax inputs, is it better to split the composite before the modulator, or split the coax after the modulator?

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Afer modulation

#20 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Regarding the 'backwards splitter' to be used as a combiner to add a modulator channel to OTA, I have had much better performance using a high frequency splitter as a combiner (2400 MHz) instead of a regular splitter (900 or 1000 MHz). There is less loss and/or a more efficient coupling of the 2 inbound signals to the output.

Also, if all your OTAs are UHF, and your modulator is a channel 3 or 4 unit, a simple (although harder to find) VHF/UHF band splitter works great too.

As for combining your signals before or after any RF amp you have, you'll just have to try both and see what works best. One nice thing about quite a few of the new ATSC HD sets is a pretty good signal strength meter in the TV menu somewhere. it can be a very handy feature when doing work on your OTA system. Just leave meter on, and modify your set up one step at a time and review your results as you go. You make a mistake, and you'll know immediately and can fix it. If you change 10 things all at once and nothing works you might be troubleshooting a while before you find that one coax connector with the little whisker in it, or the short center conductor that is killing your set up.

The Sammy's just have 8 or 10 bars (don't recall off hand) but some Sonys have real nice ones with 0-100 scale, and even S/N ratio or capture (again don't recall precise menu terminology).

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Assuming the tv near the Joey has both composite and coax inputs, is it better to split the composite before the modulator, or split the coax after the modulator?

"Splitting" line level usually involves using a distribution amplifier so I generally don't recommend it unless your distances are short enough to avoid modulating.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...