Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use a NETGEAR RangeMax WNDA3100 on the Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bradneal

bradneal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I am having the Hopper installed on Monday. The sales lady at Dish told me that the Hopper had a WIFI receiver built into it. Well now I find out that it doesn't.

Can anyone tell me if the Hopper will work with a NETGEAR RangeMax WNDA3100 broadband connector (or any other broadband adapter, for that matter)?

The receiver is not close to a phone jack or I'd just set my router up there. I currently have one of those A/C Ethernet wall plug things, but it is a really slow connection using that setup, which pretty much renders my sling adapter useless.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

You really need to forget about wifi and have Dish install a HIC by your router and run coax to it.

#3 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I can't say if a USB adapter will work for the Hopper, as I don't have one. I did recently see a different type of item you might consider if your desired solution doesn't work. It is the Belkin Universal A/V adapter. This connects to your wireless network and provides an ethernet port then that most networkable devices should be able to use. A review is available on a recent episode of Tekzilla at Revision3. Look for episode #307.

At about $100 list price (or $62 on Amazon) it is probably a little more expensive than a USB adapter but should provide a bit more versatility. It also provides four ethernet ports so you can hook up more than one device, such as your HDTV.

I tried to post links to the product and review pages but don't have enough posts.

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

The tech will have what it takes to get it connected, be it wifi or using the hopper internet connector.

For general information though, the approved Netgear adapter that will work is the WNDA3100v2 (some others that use the same driver are rumored to work, but I haven't seen it myself)
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#5 OFFLINE   bradneal

bradneal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

You really need to forget about wifi and have Dish install a HIC by your router and run coax to it.

Hi mdavej,
What is a HIC?

Thanks,
Brad

#6 OFFLINE   bradneal

bradneal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

The tech will have what it takes to get it connected, be it wifi or using the hopper internet connector.

For general information though, the approved Netgear adapter that will work is the WNDA3100v2 (some others that use the same driver are rumored to work, but I haven't seen it myself)

Thanks! :)

#7 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

i am using a Netgear powerline adapter to connect my Hopper to the internet, works perfectly

#8 OFFLINE   bradneal

bradneal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

i am using a Netgear powerline adapter to connect my Hopper to the internet, works perfectly

That is currently what I'm using as well. But I think it really chokes the bandwidth, as my Sling usually won't' work when I'm away. Even if I have great connection speed where I am.

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi mdavej,
What is a HIC?

Thanks,
Brad

Puck already answered that (hopper internet connector). It's a hardwired internet gateway from your router to your hopper/joey system. It will be faster, cheaper and more reliable than any wifi or power line solution. If it's possible to get coax to your router, you should really ask the tech to install one. It also appears that DLNA works best in a system with a HIC.

#10 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Dish has a new WIFI adapter that they will install for free. I was having internet connection issues on my Hopper and the tech tried a Wifi adapter and it also did not work. Replaced the Hopper and all is happy on my wired network.

The adapter is USB connected and has a long cable to place it where you want to.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#11 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

If you're not interested in PPV, BBMP, setting up QOS and DISH spying on you; what's the next big reason for having the Hopper connected to the internet?
It's not "PTAT", it's "PTA".
Source: DISH Network

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

If you're not interested in PPV, BBMP, setting up QOS and DISH spying on you; what's the next big reason for having the Hopper connected to the internet?

Sling

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Free movie ! :)

#14 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sling.

Ah, Sling, I forgot about that. Yeah, I suppose others do find that useful.

Free movie ! :)

I have AEP, I see enough movies. :) Wait, you can only watch free movies if you have an Internet connection? Doesn't VOD use direct satellite streaming?

Thanks.

Edited by Blowgun, 30 March 2012 - 09:33 PM.

It's not "PTAT", it's "PTA".
Source: DISH Network

#15 OFFLINE   allyndrew

allyndrew

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I had two (2) Dish Hoppers installed last week. MARVELOUS unit!!!
I also connected my Netgear model WNDA 3100v2 wifi broadband adapter so that we could use our Blockbuster and 'on Demand'. This wifi adapter works great!

#16 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Hopper. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

I had two (2) Dish Hoppers installed last week. MARVELOUS unit!!!
I also connected my Netgear model WNDA 3100v2 wifi broadband adapter so that we could use our Blockbuster and 'on Demand'. This wifi adapter works great!

spam firewall