Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dirt team advice on upgrade options

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Paul,

Please PM me your account number and verify your 4 digit PIN number so I can review the options available to you. Please let me know. Thanks.

I was wanting to upgrade to the new hopper with the slingbox built in.
I see new customers are getting free dvr and joeys. I know this is not available to me a customer of 18 years. But What would be available to me.
My other family members have switched to the other company.
Looking at a hopper and two joeys.
Paul Bennett

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I will tell you what Dish will give you if you want to upgrade to the hopper......they will waive the fee and the install cost and if you push it they will give you a very very very very small credit on your bill. Your better off switching to Directv and getting the Genie. You will get $35 off for 12 months, $10 of for the next 12 months, and 3 months free of 45 premium channels, plus free equipment and install in up to 4 rooms. Either way your doing a 2 year committment you should at least get a better programming discount if your going to commit. Dish treats their existing subs like crap.....my experience. I love my Genie and 2 clients. At least look into Directv before you commit to anything.....it won't cost you anything to do so.

#23 OFFLINE   llamabrad

llamabrad

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

We currently have 4 TV’s with 3 receivers (722k, 722, 612). I called dish support to get a replacement for one the receivers that was malfunctioning. I tried to ask about upgrading to the Hopper /w sling system (2H, 2J) to maintain the number of tuners we have/use instead of replacement. But, they quoted me $400 to upgrade! We have had these receivers for a while (well outside contracts). Are there not any equipment upgrade deals for loyal customers, or those deals reserved for new customers only?

Brad

#24 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I tried to ask about upgrading to the Hopper /w sling system (2H, 2J) to maintain the number of tuners we have/use instead of replacement. But, they quoted me $400 to upgrade!

It's the Hopper/w Slings that will cost you. They are going for $200 each on upgrade. The regular Hopper is only $50. Do you need both Hoppers to have Sling?
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#25 OFFLINE   llamabrad

llamabrad

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's the Hopper/w Slings that will cost you. They are going for $200 each on upgrade. The regular Hopper is only $50. Do you need both Hoppers to have Sling?

Only one needs to have the sling feature. However, I was more after the built-in wifi. Out receivers now are not near an ethernet connection. I know dish has usb wifi adapters, but unless theirs are good, I have had bad luck with usb wifi anything.

Still, even with 1H w/s, 1H wo/s, 2J, based those numbers wouldn't that still be $250 for rental equipment? When I use the online order function to simulate a new customer, the first Hopper with sling is free, (assuming a fee for second hopper) with 18 Month agreement. Do they not extend anything like that to upgrading customers?

#26 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Only one needs to have the sling feature. However, I was more after the built-in wifi. Out receivers now are not near an ethernet connection. I know dish has usb wifi adapters, but unless theirs are good, I have had bad luck with usb wifi anything.

A regular Hopper can get it's internet from the Hopper w/sling with Bridging enabled.

Still, even with 1H w/s, 1H wo/s, 2J, based those numbers wouldn't that still be $250 for rental equipment?

Yes...better than $400.

Do they not extend anything like that to upgrading customers?

Nope. You could try the old I'm going to leave routine...not sure how far you'd get.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#27 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Just rec'd notice from Dish today that as of 2/14 the price of upgrades to Hopper w/ Sling will be cut in half to $100 for customers who qualify for Plan A and $100 + tech visit fee (either $15 or $95 depending on having protection plan) for Plan B.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#28 OFFLINE   shan4350

shan4350

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Just rec'd notice from Dish today that as of 2/14 the price of upgrades to Hopper w/ Sling will be cut in half to $100 for customers who qualify for Plan A and $100 + tech visit fee (either $15 or $95 depending on having protection plan) for Plan B.

How do you qualify for plan A?

#29 OFFLINE   shan4350

shan4350

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I will tell you what Dish will give you if you want to upgrade to the hopper......they will waive the fee and the install cost and if you push it they will give you a very very very very small credit on your bill. Your better off switching to Directv and getting the Genie. You will get $35 off for 12 months, $10 of for the next 12 months, and 3 months free of 45 premium channels, plus free equipment and install in up to 4 rooms. Either way your doing a 2 year committment you should at least get a better programming discount if your going to commit. Dish treats their existing subs like crap.....my experience. I love my Genie and 2 clients. At least look into Directv before you commit to anything.....it won't cost you anything to do so.

Did you have to sign up a 2 year agreement with Directv?

I have been a customer with Dish with 625 since 2005, never upgraded. Now bought a nice 55 inch HDTV and need HD which is not supported in my old 625 receiver. Am thinking your suggested path maybe better / cheaper option.

Edited by shan4350, 13 February 2013 - 05:45 AM.
mistyped 622 instead of my old 625 (2005 receiver)

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Did you have to sign up a 2 year agreement with Directv?

I have been a customer with Dish with 622 since 2005, never upgraded. Now bought a nice 55 inch HDTV and need HD which is not supported in my old 622 receiver. Am thinking your suggested path maybe better / cheaper option.

Wrong ! It is support up to 100" HDTV :D

#31 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks, that is great news for those of us wanting to upgrade.

I'm guessing that they made the upgrade so expensive for existing customers in the beginning to make sure they had plenty of HwS in stock for new customers (which are a higher priority.) And that the drop in upgrade cost is due to having their inventory built up now.

Just a supposition.

#32 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Can I speak to a DIRT team member as well...why is your customer service so damn poor and you guys don't even care about your long term customers that been with dish for 15+ years. I was looking to upgrade my current dish on the roof which is rusting away since it rains here. The representative goes we can charge you a upgrade fee a 100 dollars, what is wrong dish. I am ready to change over to directv sooner or later cause you don't care about your customers. I am also leasing your dish dvr 525 still already paid what the receiver cost when it was brand new 300, still paying $5. I should own this thing by since I already paid its full retail value. Since I paid 300 and you guys still own since it why don't you upgrade me to hopper for free. If you DIRT team cares about their customer then listen to us and do something for your long term customer, before guys lose customer to directv.

#33 OFFLINE   shan4350

shan4350

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

P Smith - Sorry I have 625 receiver not 622. I mistyped in my earlier response. For clarity, what I meant was - it does not have HDMI outputs nor can it receive HD TV.

In terms of support, I can and have currently connected my 55 inch 3D LED TV using AV outputs from 625 receiver. The picture does show on the TV, but offcourse it is not even close to how an HDTV should look.

#34 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

How do you qualify for plan A?

It depends on things like how long you've been a Dish customer, what programming package do you subscribe to, how good are you at paying your bill on time, do you have the protection plan and your credit score are all considered in determining whether you qualify for Plan A, B or C. The only way to find out is to call Dish and ask what you qualify for. Once again though the new rates don't take effect until tomorrow (2/14).

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#35 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

ya i did a 2 year deal with directv to get my deal but i would have to with dish to get the hopper free as well but dish was only gonna give me $60 off in programming so screw them directv gave me much more in programming i get $35 off a month for 12 months i save more in 2 months than what dish was gonna give me total!!! then in my 2nd year i get $10 off a month for 12 months so thats $420 off in the first year and $120 off in the 2nd year that's $ 540 off with direct vs $60 off with dish network both require a 2 year committment both have great dvr's either the hopper or in my case the genie and i also got all the premium channels (45) free for 90 days as well. so you do the math. and if you love the nfl like i do im getting nfl sunday ticket this fall for $199 oh yeah baby!

#36 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

not to mention i bundled with century link and got 15mps for $40 for 12 months as well.

#37 OFFLINE   shan4350

shan4350

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

It depends on things like how long you've been a Dish customer, what programming package do you subscribe to, how good are you at paying your bill on time, do you have the protection plan and your credit score are all considered in determining whether you qualify for Plan A, B or C. The only way to find out is to call Dish and ask what you qualify for. Once again though the new rates don't take effect until tomorrow (2/14).

Thanks so much. I have been a customer for 8 years, paying over $100/month on time. Also, couple months back I realized they were charging me an extra $10/month in error. They acknowledged and promptly removed but I was never refunded for last 3 years of $10/month error charge. My fault I did not validate each charge sooner but nevertheless on the edge to go to Directv instead. Lets see. Thanks for all the information

#38 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

do it... do it...

#39 OFFLINE   llamabrad

llamabrad

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I called to upgrade and complained about being charged for one the hoppers(sling) when new customers get one for free. They transfered me to loyalty then waived the $100 for the first hopper(sling). I still paid $50 for the second standard hopper, but I expected that. Dish needs to work on making this process easier.

#40 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

I called to upgrade and complained about being charged for one the hoppers(sling) when new customers get one for free. They transfered me to loyalty then waived the $100 for the first hopper(sling). I still paid $50 for the second standard hopper, but I expected that. Dish needs to work on making this process easier.

Dish clearly doesn't care about it customers new or long term, I tried this technique before and the csr I have spoken weren't as nice as the one you have and I have the everything pak if its still called that. I am ready to drop dish already

Protected By... spam firewall...And...