Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installation questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm going to be helping a friend wire a new house for Dish network. I'm not familiar with what wires are needed, since I have DirecTV installed at my house. So far, it looks like the recommended setup is four coax from the dish to the house, and one to each TV location. Do they use a splitter or multiplexer to distribute the signal? Also, is Cat5 ever needed for networking any of the receivers? Thanks.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

A lot depends on what kind of receivers will be used... and how the customer wants to use them.

ViP receivers only need one coax run to each receiver just to run the receiver, as long as new DPP technology is used so that the DPP separator can be used for dual tuner receivers.

BUT... if you wanted to use the modulated RF output to drive an SDTV in another room, you would need another run of coax to each room OR you could use the single run IF you use diplexors.

If you want OTA from a singular antenna then you'd need a run of that to each room... though that too could be diplexed onto the SAT cable.

HOWEVER...

IF he gets a Hopper/Joey setup, then you only need one run of coax, can't use diplexors or splitters to run any backfeeds OR OTA... and the Hopper/Joey doesn't currently support OTA anyway but when it does, presumably you only need that ran to the Hopper location.

Basically... there's a lot to consider.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

A lot depends on what kind of receivers will be used... and how the customer wants to use them.

ViP receivers only need one coax run to each receiver just to run the receiver, as long as new DPP technology is used so that the DPP separator can be used for dual tuner receivers.

BUT... if you wanted to use the modulated RF output to drive an SDTV in another room, you would need another run of coax to each room OR you could use the single run IF you use diplexors.

If you want OTA from a singular antenna then you'd need a run of that to each room... though that too could be diplexed onto the SAT cable.

HOWEVER...

IF he gets a Hopper/Joey setup, then you only need one run of coax, can't use diplexors or splitters to run any backfeeds OR OTA... and the Hopper/Joey doesn't currently support OTA anyway but when it does, presumably you only need that ran to the Hopper location.

Basically... there's a lot to consider.

And to top that off for Hopper/Joey the cable needs to be swept tested to 3000mhz.:)

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

And to top that off for Hopper/Joey the cable needs to be swept tested to 3000mhz.:)

Only the cable to the Hopper needs to be tested to 3000mhz (solo node to Hopper or duo node to each Hopper). The cables feeding Joeys doesn't have to be that good (although if split from the node DISH recommends RG-6).

#5 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Can you explain this? I have a 722 that needed 2 RG6 cables (1 to the 722, one to TV2). I am moving and I believe there is only 1 RG6 to where the 722 will be. Can this one cable be used and split at the junction box and sent to TV2?

ViP receivers only need one coax run to each receiver just to run the receiver, as long as new DPP technology is used so that the DPP separator can be used for dual tuner receivers

Edited by James Long, 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM.
quoted spam image removed

#6 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

tech can use a Diplexer pair to share the cable for sat-in and TV2 Out.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#7 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

To accomodate his current needs and provide some degree of "future proofing" its best to get it all in the walls now. From a central structured wiring panel, 2- 3Ghz or better Rg6 cables and 2- cat5 or cat6 cables to each outlet would cover most needs. From the Dish/OTA location to the structured wiring panel, 4- 3Ghz or better rg6 cables. This may seem like overkill, but the additional cost to do it now compared to later is minimal.

#8 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for all of the info. Very helpful. :D

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#9 OFFLINE   cnh

cnh

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have dish network for about 60 days now and would like to buy and install a vip 222k receiver i have a vip 722K and 2-vip 211k already installed by dish techs dish network tells me if i want to install another tuner they would have to install something else on my dish would it be a dpp44 switch i have one but have not installed it yet #121252. I am on sat 61.5, 72.7, 77 .

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

And what is your question ?

You stated what needs to happen - a DPP44 switch will need to be installed, then all 4 receivers will need to be connected to the DPP 44 switch. (all 3 LNB outputs will go to the DPP44 inputs, leaving 1 unused).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...