Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

with the HMC dvr, how many shows can I watch?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

as subject says, with the HMC DVR, it says it can record 5 shows. if I have 4 tvs, does that mean if one has the HMC and 3 have HD receivers that I could record 4 shows on the HMC dvr, watch tv on that TV as well and still have independent channels on the other 3 tvs or is it 5 channels to every tv and thats it?

I gotta figure out what to do soon as 3 streams on uverse is really not cutting it. I had to stop recording my wifes show so I could watch tv last night.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

The HR34 (HMC) has 5 tuners (3 more then HR2x receivers) and can record 5 shows simultaneously, thus you can record 5, while also watching 1 recording at the TV that's attached to the HR34. You can also do Picture-in-Picture with the HR34, thus you can actually watch 2 recordings, while recording 5. The key point being that 5 tuners can be active at any point in time.

For the remote TVs, those with either a DirecTV H2x, HR2x, or another HR34, you can have up to 3 of those remote TVs streaming a recording from the HR34 through Whole-Home MRV, thus 5 recordings simultaneously at the HR34 while 3 recordings are being streamed to other MRV capable receivers. The remote H2x, HR2x, and HR34's also still have access to as many "live" channels at their respective TVs as they have tuners, either 1 (H2x), 2 (HR2x), or 5 (HR34).

For RVU, and RVU capable TVs (no DirecTV receiver or tuner), they can stream a recording from the HR34 (same as any other receiver), but when an RVU client is active it does "borrow" one of the HR34 tuners, thus one less tuner would be available to the HR34, for a maximum of 3 RVU clients active to one HR34 at one time. There are no DirecTV provided tuner-less RVU client receivers available at this time.

Edited by Sixto, 30 March 2012 - 05:57 AM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

yes, but HMC aside, those 3 other tv's can they watch a completely independent live channel even if I'm recording 5 channels on the HMC box?

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

Yes, as long as those remote TV's have an H2x, HR2x, or HR34, they can independently watch as many "live" channels as they have tuners, either 1 (H2x), 2 (HR2x), or 5 (HR34).

Have also added the RVU situation to the post.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

yes, but HMC aside, those 3 other tv's can they watch a completely independent live channel even if I'm recording 5 channels on the HMC box?

Regardless of whether you have an HMC or not, all others active receivers functioning normally.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Just keep in mind, if you get an install with 1 hr34 and three non DVR receivers, you'll be at 8 tuners. Thats not a problem, but if you later swap out a receiver for a DVR it won't be a simple swap out. They'd need to replace the equipment on the dish, etc. A normal install has an 8 tuner limit and they don't install the 16 tuner version unless its needed at install. Again, not a big deal, but something to keep in mind in terms of expansion.

#7 OFFLINE   dexware

dexware

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I was watching a show on the HR34 that had 5 or 6 episodes of one program. The HR34 was playing only one of the episodes of the 6. The H25 wanted to watch another episode of the same show but it showed all of them as locked. It said the playlist was in use or something like that. I thought it was odd that you couldn't watch a different episode of another show that the HR34 was already watching.

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I was watching a show on the HR34 that had 5 or 6 episodes of one program. The HR34 was playing only one of the episodes of the 6. The H25 wanted to watch another episode of the same show but it showed all of them as locked. It said the playlist was in use or something like that. I thought it was odd that you couldn't watch a different episode of another show that the HR34 was already watching.

The HR34 should allow up to 3 streams, no matter what the HR34 is doing.

It's either a bug, or you had 3 other streams going (including nomad).

#9 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Just keep in mind, if you get an install with 1 hr34 and three non DVR receivers, you'll be at 8 tuners. Thats not a problem, but if you later swap out a receiver for a DVR it won't be a simple swap out. They'd need to replace the equipment on the dish, etc. A normal install has an 8 tuner limit and they don't install the 16 tuner version unless its needed at install. Again, not a big deal, but something to keep in mind in terms of expansion.

understood, at this point I can't see needing more than 4 tv's going so that should work out fine.

I just wanted to make sure I was correct as I believe with Dish and the hopper you get 3 streams unless you get 2 hoppers, and with UVERSE that I have now, you get 3 streams of HD for everything so last night I had the fun experience of being told I have no streams and had to cancel a recording. thank god the wife wasn't trying to watch things as well.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

understood, at this point I can't see needing more than 4 tv's going so that should work out fine.

I just wanted to make sure I was correct as I believe with Dish and the hopper you get 3 streams unless you get 2 hoppers, and with UVERSE that I have now, you get 3 streams of HD for everything so last night I had the fun experience of being told I have no streams and had to cancel a recording. thank god the wife wasn't trying to watch things as well.

Right, the Hopper can record more than 3 things, but it's limited to network primetime. And I think any Joeys in use use a Hopper tuner. The same would be true if someone had any RVU clients connected to the HR34. That doesn't apply if you have DirecTV receivers on them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...