Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper, Buyer Beware!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

there was no need for that title
next time do your home work and ask questions before u upgrade:rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Three people wanting to watch 3 things and recording 2-3 other things... I don't know why your expectation would be anything other than what happened.

The same would have happened on your ViP 722 if you used it the same way.

You need another Hopper. Right now Hoppers don't "see" each other but Joeys can see either Hopper, so if your 3 tuners on one Hopper are recording, you can switch your Joey to the other and should be fine.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't have got a two-Hopper setup in the first place if you have 3 people who actively watch TV that often.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can understand the OP's dilemma. The advertising is at best, misleading. However, he should have explained his needs to the agent taking the order so this would have never happened. His complaint is just the reason we went with two Hoppers and two Joeys. This setup will give the OP six tuners, eventually. It will yield a fully meshed system where everything is linked. Content sharing will be transparent. What you're buying is not a "NOW", rather you're buying a future system. Granted, hopefully not too far in the future, but still a future system.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#24 OFFLINE   Tim_Carson

Tim_Carson

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Like others, I'm not getting the problem:

You have three tuners, three things scheduled to record ... what did you expect to happen? Is there no 2 min count down timer before the scheduled recording starts (like on a 722/622) on the display of the tuner currently used in live mode? :confused:...

I'll try one more time to explain what happens.

The only way you can use this system is to manually set each recording.
You can't use the "Seek and Record" feature unless you review the shows it selects for you on a regular basis, say once a day.

For example, you have it set to record only two shows, "The Big Bang Theory" and "Community".
You haven't seen all of the Community's, so you want it to record all of those and only new Big Bang.

It will start recording "Community" and "The Big Bang Theory" at 8:00PM pst on Thursday night.
Suppose you are watching "Thursday Night Football" Live on the third TV.
If any other channel decides to air a re-run of "Community" at either 8:00, 8:30 or 9:00 it will interrupt your Live Football Game and switch over to record the re-run.
You get no warning, just BAM!, you lost all of the live buffer for the last couple of hours of the game and are now fumbling the buttons trying to get back to see if they scored or not.

What Dish just finished telling me is that I can't use the Seek function anymore and I have to manually set it to record anything I want to record.

I think the old way was much better, but again that's just my opinion.

#25 OFFLINE   Tim_Carson

Tim_Carson

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Three people wanting to watch 3 things and recording 2-3 other things... I don't know why your expectation would be anything other than what happened.

The same would have happened on your ViP 722 if you used it the same way.

You need another Hopper. Right now Hoppers don't "see" each other but Joeys can see either Hopper, so if your 3 tuners on one Hopper are recording, you can switch your Joey to the other and should be fine.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't have got a two-Hopper setup in the first place if you have 3 people who actively watch TV that often.

No, the 722Vip's would just record the three shows on their respective "Tuner Two's" and you could still watch their "Tuner One's" with no interruptions.

This is also how it works with UVerse and DTV/TIVO Dual Tuners because you can tell them which tuners to use for recording.

#26 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Bottom line seems to be, you need more tuners. Adding an additional Hopper would accomplish this and eliminate most of your issues. Maybe a DIRT member can assist you in getting that done.

#27 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yea, I'm not getting it either. Why don't you just record the game? Problem solved.

#28 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

...The only way you can use this system is to manually set each recording.
You can't use the "Seek and Record" feature unless you review the shows it selects for you on a regular basis, say once a day.

For example, you have it set to record only two shows, "The Big Bang Theory" and "Community".
You haven't seen all of the Community's, so you want it to record all of those and only new Big Bang.

It will start recording "Community" and "The Big Bang Theory" at 8:00PM pst on Thursday night.
If any other channel decides to air a re-run of "Community" at either 8:00, 8:30 or 9:00 it will interrupt your Live Football Game and switch over to record the re-run.
You get no warning, just BAM!, you lost all of the live buffer for the last couple of hours of the game and are now fumbling the buttons trying to get back to see if they scored or not.

What Dish just finished telling me is that I can't use the Seek function anymore and I have to manually set it to record anything I want to record.

I think the old way was much better, but again that's just my opinion.

If you set timers from the guide they will not record on another channel. You are building yourself a monster by using seek for any thing other than to make sure that you don't miss something starting (or restarting) outside the guide range. Once seek triggers a program, you are better off converting it to a guide timer. Think of all the shows running in syndication on multiple channels. Dish is wrong to tell you not to use seek, but you are complicating things by using it where there are better options. Use the Dish receiver the way it was designed. And, you do need another Hopper if you need that many tuners.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

The only way you can use this system is to manually set each recording.

I see four ways ...
1) Turn on PTA and allow the receiver to catch programs on the big four channels during prime time.
2) Find a program in the guide, select it and choose to "Record This" or "Record Series Timer" (similar to the name based recordings on previous receivers).
3) Use "Seek and Record" to record based on title or description (similar to DISHPass on previous receivers).
4) Press "Record" while watching something. (Caution, you can not "record from beginning" as on other receivers.)

The only option I have not found from previous receivers is a time based recording. Any one else find that?

If your search terms are vague you will get too many hits ... just like with DISHPass.

My "Daily Schedule" extends to 4/7 ... A daily review is not needed. I usually review my schedule twice a week to skip programs I did not want to record.

Do you have PTA disabled? These programs should be recording on your PTA tuner.

The live buffer is not a couple of hours long ... it is only an hour. If you want to watch more than an hour delayed and protect yourself set a timer. This is what I have been doing for NASCAR for years. You can watch it while it records - and if you get interrupted the show will be there later.

If you're not recording what you are watching you only have the hour buffer (or less if you changed channels). You will get a warning before the channel changes (just like before) but it can be missed if you're out of the room when it pops up. The solution is the same as before ... record important stuff.

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

The only option I have not found from previous receivers is a time based recording. Any one else find that?

James, do you mean you can't record, as I do, "The Daily Show" every weeknight at 10:00 pm Pacific Time as opposed to recording new episodes or every episode?

Given the unreliability of the guide, that is a critical option to have.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

James, do you mean you can't record, as I do, "The Daily Show" every weeknight at 10:00 pm Pacific Time as opposed to recording new episodes or every episode?

Given the unreliability of the guide, that is a critical option to have.

You can still set this critical recording (and Colbert as well). I have them set as "Monday-Friday" recordings and they skip Friday when the name is not correct. They do not record the other times of the day with this setting.

What I have not found is the ability to set a timer for a channel and a length of time. On the 622 I can pick a channel and set a start and finish time. I don't see that option.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

You can still set this critical recording (and Colbert as well). I have them set as "Monday-Friday" recordings and they skip Friday when the name is not correct. They do not record the other times of the day with this setting.

What I have not found is the ability to set a timer for a channel and a length of time. On the 622 I can pick a channel and set a start and finish time. I don't see that option.

Ok, thanks. I rarely set a recording using that feature. But I have. It's good to know what's not there when considering the Hopper.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

To be fair a good sales person should have asked enough questions to get the information so that they knew that this setup would not be good for the customers needs. I'm also sure that there's a huge push to get these out in the field too in the sales department. The OP could have done more research as well but I put this more on the sales person. If a new customer is upset within the first 2 weeks, due to equipment or programming, then the person who dealt with their order didn't do something properly. I believe this is true with any company FYI not just DISH and all companies are guilty of this at times.

This system is a step backwards for a lot of people who are used to every box having a tuner. I would call DISH or ask a DIRT member here if there is any order correction policy, and follow the advice of others who said to get a second hopper, or deal with the CEO email and state your case to get out of your agreement if you're saying that it was misrepresented to you if that was the case.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I said this before. Dish should not be selling these things to new customers. Dish is advertising them like they are the new iPad. But they aren't the old iPad with some upgrades and glitches.

Are you being cynical again. ;)

Seriously, I hear what you're saying. The thing of it is, the display should of had a blinking something or other letting the user know that a timer was about to fire in 3 minutes (which was better when the warning was 5 minutes). I couldn't imagine something as basic as some sort of flashing notification being omitted from the early firmware. That would be pure, uncut, stupid on DISH's part.
It's not "PTAT", it's "PTA".
Source: DISH Network

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

No, the 722Vip's would just record the three shows on their respective "Tuner Two's" and you could still watch their "Tuner One's" with no interruptions.

This is also how it works with UVerse and DTV/TIVO Dual Tuners because you can tell them which tuners to use for recording.

No they wouldn't... unless you had 3 ViP 722 receivers (and thus 6 tuners).

If you are comparing a Hopper (3 tuners) with 3 ViP 722 receivers (6 SAT tuners + 3 OTA tuners) then you aren't making a fair comparison at all.

You simply cannot do what you are trying to do with a single Hopper UNLESS all the stuff you wanted to set timers for was part of the PTA (primetime anytime) in which case you'd be recording 4 channels worth of content with one tuner and have 2 "free" tuners to watch live on the other Joeys.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#36 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

I am also shocked it does not have an abort popup option. How could they miss that? The quick fix might be to record the live show anytime you don't want interruption of the live show.

I do agree it was naive for the OP to think one Hooper could do the job of his previous three 722s. But still, no popup and abort option?

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

I am also shocked it does not have an abort popup option. How could they miss that?

The Hopper HAS a warning popup that allows you to stop the interruption.
DISH didn't miss it.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

How OP missed it ? :confused:

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Several people have missed it. The Hopper provides a warning.

And you CAN "go back without spending 2 minutes pressing buttons/unplugging boxes to stop the DVR." Press STOP, press RECALL, you're back. :)

#40 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Several people have missed it. The Hopper provides a warning.

And you CAN "go back without spending 2 minutes pressing buttons/unplugging boxes to stop the DVR." Press STOP, press RECALL, you're back. :)

Well then I hope OP reads this before he pays DISH $500 and switch back to Uverse.:)

spam firewall