Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011-12 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Here's the third Thursday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

And here's the 8:00 to 10:00 two hour competition:

Posted Image

CBS ran a curious schedule last night:
  • 8:00 Big Bang Theory (rerun)
  • 8:30 Rules of Engagement
  • 9:00 Big Bang Theory (rerun)
  • 9:30 2 Broke Girls (rerun)
  • 10:00 Person of Interest
Since they have to run reruns to have enough episodes of regularly scheduled programs to finish out the season, presumably they also derive some data related to scheduling and the strength of programs from this switching around. Whatever the data is, I don't get it.

Fox. "American Idol" won the 8:00 slot last night with no new episode of "BBT" on CBS to challenge it in the first half hour. But "AI" still should worry the Fox suits:

Posted Image

"Touch" seems to have found its rating levels. A year ago "Bones" pulled 3.7 million in the demo and 8.2 million of the 50+ crowd compared to "Touch" with 2.3 (-38%) and 5.9 (-28%).

ABC's schedule is no longer the Thursday powerhouse it was. In the 18 - 49 demo "Missing" ran even with NBC's comedy lineup. And "Scandal" did not gain from CBS running a rerun of another show in "The Mentalist" slot. "Grey's Anatomy" can no longer carry the Thursday schedule on its own.

NBC's Thursday lineup is still beating The CW's lineup.:rolleyes:

"Awake" has found its audience at below 1.0 in the demo and below 2.0 in the 50+ group. :nono2:

The CW. :shrug:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here's the third Friday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was Friday the 13th. The highest demo rating was ...drum roll... 1.7 million. The hour with the most viewers was 8:00. :confused:

CBS got that highest demo rating for its "Undercover Boss" in the 8:00 hour. It ran a "Lionel Richie & Friends in Concert" from 9:00 to 11:00 which gave the 50+ crowd something to watch though the network's regular lineup does better.

Fox's powerful combination of "The Finder" and "Fringe" couldn't get 1.0 million in the demo.:rolleyes:

NBC's "Grimm" saw a significant jump at 9:00, but I fear it was just the demo looking for something other than a 62-year-old Lionel Richie to watch.

ABC won the demo at 10:00, again because the demo looking for something other than a 62-year-old Lionel Richie to watch.

The CW couldn't attract a million total viewers in either hour. :shrug:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

If you are trying to read my posts on this thread and are not getting the ratings tables, I apologize. The problem may be this:

04/15/12

06:46 AM PST: Comcast/XFINITY users unable to connect to some Yahoo! Small Business web sites

Some Yahoo! customers who use Comcast/XFINITY as their Internet Service Provider may have difficulties accessing some Yahoo! Small Business Web Hosting web sites.

Customers impacted by this issue may receive one of the following :

Page Cannot Be Displayed error message
Time Out error message
Delayed page loading

We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it in a timely manner.

10:14 AM PST

While your site may not be viewable for users with Comcast/XFINITY Internet service, we want to assure you that your web site and/or store is viewable to non-Comcast/XFINITY users.

Our engineering team is working with Comcast/XFINITY to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

I even can't see my own web site, grumble, grumble....:mad:

But at least I don't have a small business to generate income.

My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Here's the third Sunday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC. "Funniest Home Videos" at 8:00 was a new episode and won it's time slot in the demo. On the other hand "GBC" dropped at 10:00. That probably was because its lead in was the last hour of "Titanic" the mini-series which sunk taking the network's demo rating for 9:00 down with it. And the network ran a rerun of "Once Upon A Time." It was not a good night for ABC.

CBS. The "60 Minutes" tribute to Mike Wallace pulled in a strong 50+ crowd. On the other hand, that group did not stay for "The Amazing Race" but it won the demo. The 50+ crowd came back for "The Good Wife" but the demo moved on. The premier of "NYC 22" at 10:00 tied for #2 in the demo but carried the 50+ crowd. It wasn't too bad a night for CBS.

Fox. The new episodes of the animated lineup did reasonably well.

NBC. If one totals the viewers over the four hours in the demo, the 50+, and total, NBC won the night in the demo by a large margin and ran a a very, very close second to CBS in the 50+ group, giving it a win for the night. And yet, it won the demo only at 10:00 and the 50+ at 8:00.

Overall, the night is likely to become very competitive during the May Sweeps.

My AV Setup

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Here's the third Monday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This night has become an interesting "dancing with the voice" generational ratings competion.

NBC. "The Voice" was clearly the 8:00 to 10:00 winner in the ages 18-49 demo averaging 3.7 million or 29.4% of this younger audience. In the 9:00 half hour "Two and a Half Men" offered some competition with 3.7 million versus "The Voice" with 3.9. At 10:00, however, we see a different story with "Smash" continuing its slow decline in the demo.

ABC. "Dancing with the Stars" was clearly the 8:00 to 10:00 winner in the 50+ group averaging 13.5 million or 44% of the older audience. "Castle" won the 10:00 ratings.

CBS came in second in the 8:00 to 10:00 demo competition. However, "Mike & Molly" only tied with "DWTS" at 9:30. "Hawaii Five-0" was a rerun, but it offers an interesting set of numbers. It appears its demo fan base mostly just doesn't watach anything else while the 50+ fans will watch "Castle."

Fox has achieved its apparent ratings target - a lock on 4th place in all age groups.:rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Here's the third Tuesday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC. "Last Man Standing" is slipping in the ratings. "Cougar Town", which already slipped beyond redemption, is slipping more. "Dancing With The Stars Results" was #3 in the demo and #1 in the 50+ crowd, but "NCIS: LA" was a rerun. ABC, apparently following the Fox business model, moved "Private Practice" to Tuesday so that it could get a series low in its ratings, though ironically it was #1 in the demo because "Unforgettable" was a rerun. That was predictable.

CBS won the 8:00 to 10:00 competition in the 50+ crowd (almost double the ABC average) while taking #2 in the demo even though "NCIS: LA" was a rerun. An "Unforgettable" rerun also appealed to the 50+ crowd.

Fox's lineup is now not winning anything in any time slot. In the February Sweeps "Glee" averaged a 3.0/8 demo and "New Girl" a 3.2/8 demo, while "Raising Hope averaged a 2.2/5 demo giving up 31% of the demo lead in. Upon noticing this, Fox immediate rectified the problem by moving "Raising Hope" 8:00 and pairing it with the ratings bomb "I Hate My Teenage Daughter" giving "New Girl" a 1.4/5 lead in which crushed it's ratings thereby achieving Fox's goal of getting rid of those pesky viewers. Soon Fox will have no viewers while charging $1 a month for you to be able to not watch their shows. It's a solid business model.:rolleyes:

NBC, on the other hand, has come back winning the 8:00 to 10:00 demo because of "The Voice". "Fashion Star" is cheap filler at 10:00.

The CW's "Ringer" apparently has found it's numbers at 0.5/1 demo - 1.16 million total. A few years ago, the show would have been cancelled midseason. Now it's about average for the network in a 9:00 slot.

My AV Setup

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Here's the third Wednesday of the Spring 2012 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox, of course, controlled the 8:00 to 10:00 competition with "American Idol", but:

Posted Image

ABC ran a rerun of "The Middle", leaving "Surburgatory" with no lead in though it still did ok. "Modern Family" still continues to do well though it is down from the February Sweeps averages like everything else. "Don't Trust The B---- In Apt. 23" is doing ok, around the Sweeps Averages for "Happy Endings." The first-in-awhile new episode of "Revenge" pulled a series low, but nothing catastrophic.

CBS. Other than "Survivor: One World" which did ok against "AI", CBS ran reruns.

NBC might as well write off Wednesday.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

The CW's "Ringer" apparently has found it's numbers at 0.5/1 demo - 1.16 million total. A few years ago, the show would have been cancelled midseason. Now it's about average for the network in a 9:00 slot.

Oh great! It has FINALLY found its numbers now that it has had its series finale.:rolleyes:

This was the best (very) low-rated show this year, by far. I really enjoyed it, and I couldn't understand why it had such consistently absymal numbers. TV by the numbers says here that it's virtually guaranteed to not be renewed.:( SMG did a good job of depicting the two characters she played so you knew which one she was at any given time without them saying it, which was itself misleading as they were impersonating each other during the course of the show.:)
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Thursday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS had reruns with the exception of "Rules of Engagement" at 8:30. "Big Bang Theory", "Person Of Interest", and "The Mentalist" have all been renewed for next year. Odds are pretty good that "Rules of Engagement" will be renewed for at least 13 episodes to use as schedule filler when needed.

Fox's "American Idol" won the 8:00 competition, but the sports and game show network can't ignore the following forever:

Posted Image

"Touch" ran #3 and only because CBS was running reruns. I expect Fox to renew it, but Sweeps ratings may raise some red flags.

ABC has yet to renew a prime time show. But "Grey's Anatomy" is a must renew. There's no ratings reason to renew "Missing" and it will take the Sweeps ratings to see if "Scandal" can stay above a 1.9 demo against "The Mentalist."

NBC has not renewed anything on its Thursday schedule since the only show that pulls more than a 1.9 demo is "The Office". Most certainly, "Awake" is dead pulling The CW level ratings.

The CW has not renewed anything. Maybe they're going to have to rethink their business model. :rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Friday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC won the night in the demo without a clean win in any hour. "Shark Tank" tied for 1st at 8:00, "What Would You Do" tied for 1st at 9:00, and "20/20" was 2nd at 10:00. ABC hasn't renewed any shows for next year yet. Of course, "20/20" will be back. But there is a good chance the other two will be back.

CBS ran reruns the entire night. But they won the 50+ crowd at 9:00 and 10:00. "Blue Bloods" has already been renewed. "CSI:NY" has an uncertain future.

Fox tied for 2nd in the 8:00 to 10:00 with a 1.1 in the demo. "The Finder" tied for 1st at 8:00 and "Fringe" ran 3rd at 9:00. Both shows are among the four drama's with an uncertain status. The other two are "Touch" and "Alcatraz." The only drama that has been renewed for next year is "Bones." Because it's Fox, I have no idea. Based on the network's scheduling needs and I would cancel "Fringe" and renew "The Finder" because of its ratings on Thursday. But they'll probably wait until May Sweeps is over.

NBC. "Grimm" has been renewed. If you haven't recorded it and want to get caught up, you can record six episodes on Syfy next Thursday which would probably be enough episodes along with the upcoming last few of this season.

The CW has not renewed anything. Maybe they're going to have to rethink their business model. Oh, I said that yesterday.:sure:

My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

The CW has not renewed anything. Maybe they're going to have to rethink their business model. Oh, I said that yesterday.:sure:

There was an article in the WSJ the other day about CW and their business model. They are depending some on online streaming.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

There was an article in the WSJ the other day about CW and their business model. They are depending some on online streaming.

Thanks for mentioning that. I looked it up and found CW Network's Rush to Web Rankles Some TV Stations:

When the TV show "The Vampire Diaries" made its debut on the youth-oriented CW network nearly three years ago, Brie Bagwell watched it regularly on her TV. This year, she still watches—but has dropped her pricey cable subscription and checks the show out free online.

...As the CW prepares for its annual presentation to advertisers at next month's TV ad-sales bazaar, the network is increasingly relying on a wave of viewers like Ms. Bagwell. Nearly a fifth of CW viewers are watching on the Web, double from this time last year, the network says, while the average prime-time audience watching CW shows on regular television is down 14% to 1.8 million, according to Nielsen data.

...The "business model was challenged," says Bruce Rosenblum, a CW board member and president of Time Warner's Warner Bros. Television Group. "Maybe this is now beginning to evolve into a different kind of network—a multiplatform, multiscreen network."

The article covers the problem this creates for the local broadcast stations. It also offers this graphic:

Posted Image

The graphic covers "watching TV at any given time of day." My guess is that the viewer loss would be substantially higher for prime time broadcast network regularly scheduled programming.

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Sunday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC. "Once Upon a Time" did well last night as the nework's only regularly scheduled show with a new episode. The "Hallmark Hall of Fame: Firelight" did about as well as "GBC." As mentioned in a previous post, ABC is hold their plans for next year close to the vest. But one would expect "Once Upon a Time" to be renewed which "GBC" is going to have to make it in the upcoming Nielsen Sweeps.

CBS. "60 Minutes" and "Amazing Race" did about average and would expect to see them on the schedule next year. "The Good Wife" has been renewed. Newbie "NYC 22" isn't doing as well as "CSI:Miami." I don't think the Sweeps period will save it.

Fox celebrated it's 25 Anniversary with a reairing of the "Married with Children" and "The Simpsons" pilots and a 25th Anniversary Special. The ratings weren't particularly special.

NBC. "Celebrity Apprentice" did well and "Dateline" is cheap to produce. "Harry's Law' won the 50+ crowd at 8:00 but gets terrible demo ratings. It's hard to imagine it being renewed, but who knows?

Which brings up the generation split again. The winners for the 50+ crowd were "Harry's Law" at 8:00, "The Good Wife" at 9:00, and "GBC" at 10:00. The winners for the 18-49 demo were "Once Upon a Time" at 8:00, a three-way tie at 9:00, and "Celebrity Apprentice" at 10:00.

My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ratings-wise this seems like a pretty bad season for all five networks. Most the old hits are fading and the new shows are hitting the middle of the range at best. CBS is doing okay, but the rest are in pretty rough shape. It'll be interesting to see the final wrap up of full season ratings at the end of May.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#35 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Monday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns.

NBC won the night in the 18-49 demo with "The Voice" and "Smash". Of course, at 10:00 CBS ran a rerun and ABC ran a "DWTS" special.

ABC won the night in the 50+ crowd with a full night of "Dancing with the Stars".

Fox's "Bones and "House" was able to place third among all ages with CBS running reruns.

Ratings-wise this seems like a pretty bad season for all five networks. Most the old hits are fading and the new shows are hitting the middle of the range at best. CBS is doing okay, but the rest are in pretty rough shape. It'll be interesting to see the final wrap up of full season ratings at the end of May.

In a New York Times article Sunday Prime-Time Ratings Bring Speculation of a Shift in Habits we learn:

It is the police procedural that has network executives scratching their heads this season: The Case of the Disappearing Viewers.

Across the television landscape, network and cable, public television and pay cable, English-language and Spanish, viewing for all sorts of prime-time programming is down this spring — chiefly among the most important audience for the business, younger adults.

In the four television weeks starting March 19, NBC lost an average of 59,000 viewers (about 3 percent) in that 18-to-49 age category compared with the same period last year, CBS lost 239,000 (8 percent), ABC lost 681,000 (21 percent) and Fox lost 709,000 (20 percent).

The article explains that at least one TV exec acknowledges that live viewers don't know when a show is back while those who record see that they have a new episode, something that doesn't surprise us here.

He calls it "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing.” You should read about what he said about he and his son watching AMC's "The Walking Dead."

And, of course, AdAge has an article about Hulu's new series programming:

there was a line down 41st Street. There were celebrities like Adrian Grenier, Seth Meyers and Mario Batali. There were green cocktails. And, yes, there were some new shows. In short, Hulu's big event for advertisers at the Times' Center looked like it was supposed to: a lot like a TV network upfront.

The resemblance is exactly, and explicitly, what Hulu wanted to show the crowd of about 500, including several of the most prominent digital-ad buyers on Madison Avenue and executives from marketers such as BMW and Samsung. "We want you to think of us as a cable-TV network, or a slice of the prime time," said sales chief JP Colaco.

...David Cohen, chief media officer at Universal McCann, said that while digital media has been making its case for TV dollars for a long time, this year feels different. "We have been talking about video across screens for years, but the stars are aligning across a number of dimensions to make the fluidity of dollars more real for agencies and marketers," he said.

Keep in mind Hulu's ownership:

NBCUniversal (32%)
Fox Entertainment Group (31%)
Disney-ABC Television Group (27%)
Providence Equity Partners (10%)

My AV Setup

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Tuesday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns. I'll be curious to see if "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” (see discussion in previous post) will cause problems for "Unforgettable" in the Sweeps, the only Tuesday night show not yet renewed for next year.

ABC has not renewed any shows, as mentioned before. "Private Practice" grew over last week as it overcomes "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” while CBS ran a rerun. Whether "Last Man Standing" or "Cougar Town" will be renewed may depend on the Nielsen May Sweeps.

Fox. "Glee" and "New Girl" have been renewed for next year.

The CW premiered at incredibly low ratings a new scripted show at 9:00, "The La Complex", to demonstrate to critics why all the rest of its 2011-12 lineup should be renewed. :rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

The CW premiered at incredibly low ratings a new scripted show at 9:00, "The La Complex", to demonstrate to critics why all the rest of its 2011-12 lineup should be renewed.

Yeah... It kinda makes the CW long for the days of Ringer, doesn't it? I tried to watch it, wanted to, but had to turn it off after fifteen minutes or so. It was just THAT unwatchable for me! And I really, REALLY liked Ringer, so it isn't the CW.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here's the fourth and final Spring Wednesday before the Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox's "American Idol" easily won the first two hours. But we continue to see this:

Posted Image

As noted in the article I reference in Monday ratings post:

The losses could not have come at a worse time for the networks, which are about to enter the television upfronts, the traditional season when advertising dollars are committed for the fall season.

“These numbers are going to affect the upfronts,” said Brad Adgate, the senior vice president for research at Horizon Media. “These numbers represent billions of dollars in sales.”

ABC ran reruns in the first two hours except for "Don’t Trust The B____ in Apartment 23". "Revenge" at 10:00 seems to be suffering from "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing.” As noted in previous posts, ABC has not renewed anything, creating its own dramatic scene approaching the upfronts.

CBS ran reruns except for "Survivor". Both "Criminal Minds" and "CSI" have been renewed.

NBC's first hour comedy lineup isn't doing very well, even Betty White's show. "Law & Order: SVU" hasn't been renewed yet, but it's still one of the stronger performers for NBC.

Tonight will be the first night of the Nielsen May Sweeps. This will lead to the "upfronts" which as noted in Wikipedia are meetings hosted television network executives, attended by the press and major advertisers. It is so named because its main purpose is to allow marketers to buy television commercial airtime "up front", or several months before the television season begins. Held in New York, this year's broadcast network upfront schedule is:

Posted Image

Generally, last minute renewals are announced just before a network's upfront presentation begins. Oddly, the Nielsen May Sweeps ratings period will continue for another week after the upfronts.

Those last minute decisions about renewals will depend on ratings we'll see beginning tomorrow for two weeks.

FYI the online sources (Hulu, Youtube, etc.) held the "NewFronts" this week. The cable networks have been holding their "upfronts" over the past three weeks.

My AV Setup

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Here's the first Thursday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages compare using the two-hour Fox-The CW prime time system and the three hour ABC-CBS-NBC prime time system:

Posted Image

ABC. "Missing" is not doing well. "Grey's Anatomy" is down about 10% from last year but won the 18-49 demo at 9:00. "Scandal" tied for the lead in the demo at 10:00. While ABC has not renewed anything yet, my guess is that "Missing" is dead, of course "Grey's" will be renewed, and "Scandal" has a chance at renewal.

CBS won the 50+ crowd for the night. It also won the demo in the three hour competition, but was slightly behind Fox in the two hour competition though it beat Fox in every half hour but 8:30.

All Thursday shows have been renewed except "Rules of Engagement" and I expect they will order something like 13-episodes for next year because it is such a good filler when some other comedy tanks.

There was a hint of "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” impacting on "The Mentalist" which averaged 2.8 in the demo during February Sweeps. I know CBS has already made most of its renewal decisions and is the top network overall, but next year they're going to have to watch out for that.

Fox. The first half hour of "American Idol" pulled "only" 3.6 in the demo compared to "Big Bang Theory" getting 4.0. That an "Idol" episode has consistently lost to a CBS sitcom this year is surprising. "Touch" is getting weak ratings, but is likely to be renewed.

NBC's comedy lineup except for "The Office" is very weak. "Awake" is asleep in all age groups. None of these shows have been renewed yet.

The CW's "Vampire Diaries" is it's strongest show. But none of the network's shows have been renewed yet.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Here's the first Friday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the three-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

One can't help but note that if you compare the two-hour-prime-time totals you find only 53% of Thursday's 18-49 demo present and 68% of the 50+. But at 10:00 78% of Thursdays 18-49 demo is present and 96% of the 50+.

ABC's first two hours of throw-away programming gets mediocre ratings putting it at #2 in the demo race.

CBS wins the night with an average 1.5 demo and a lead in the 50+ crowd in every hour. "CSI:NY" has not yet been renewed or cancelled. "Blue Bloods" has been renewed.

Fox renewed "Fringe" but not because of its ratings. "The Finder" is in the worst possible slot at 8:00 on Friday. At 9:00 on Thursday during February Sweeps it averaged 2.2 in the demo which was higher than "Touch" is getting in that Thursday slot.

NBC has renewed "Grimm", only one of two shows renewed for next year so far.

In passing, I should note that NBC pulled the Wednesday sitcom "Best Friends Forever" from the lineup before the first May Sweeps Wednesday. They really didn't want to see that 0.8 demo rating in the Sweeps period leading to the Upfronts.

My AV Setup

spam firewall