Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011-12 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Here's the first Sunday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the Sunday-four-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

ABC. While ABC has yet to renew any show for next season, "Once Upon A Time" is likely to be renewed. "GBC" is a question mark. ABC overall did well in the 18-49 demo.

CBS. "The Good Wife" has been renewed. "NYC 22" appears to be a non-starter. CBS is going to have to consider renewing "CSI: Miami" for the Sunday at 10:00 slot, as the show seems to do an adequate job of attracting viewers. I know they would prefer a show with less seasoned actors who work for less money, but....

Fox came in second in the demo in the 8:00-10:00 competition which is its focus. The network has renewed "The Cleveland Show", "The Simpsons",
"Family Guy", and "American Dad". "Bob's Burgers" somehow loses it's lead in - maybe the audience goes out for a burger?

NBC has only one show in the current Sunday lineup to argue about. "Harry's Law" is one of those generation gap shows. NBC has no other scripted show that consistently pulls anywhere near 6.5 million in the 50+ crowd. It would be foolish to cancel the show. But it's NBC....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Here's the first Monday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the three-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

CBS Monday night lineup appears to have been renewed with "Two-and-a-Half Men" being the only question mark. According to news reports today it appears Kutcher, Cryer, and Jones have all but signed. CBS won the three-hour 18-49 demo competition and tied for 1st in the demo in the two hour competition. The only half-hour they lost was at 9:30.

ABC won the the 50+ crowd in every half-hour, and by a substantial margin overall for the night. Given the ratings for "Castle" it's hard to imagine they won't renew it, but have not renewed any shows.

NBC tied CBS in the demo in the 8:00 - 10:00 competition. "Smash" has been renewed.

Fox. "House" is in its final season.

"Bones" has been renewed, but Fox cleverly has placed it at 8:00 Monday so that there will be nearly no following for the show by next fall. In the process, they have given away ratings at 9:00 on Thursday to avoid any chance to make any money for that time slot in the upcoming Upfronts.:rolleyes:

The CW. :shrug:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#43 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

The CW is a real head-scratcher. Some of their shows are pretty good and should be popular in their target younger demographic. But those ratings are just horrible. I know many of them watch shows online, but I don't think that makes up for the low numbers. Have they just completely written off this network or traditional 1 hour dramas???
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#44 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

I agree. The CW has some very good shows, but no ratings to justify the expense. I really don't know what the future of the "network" could be. :(
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#45 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Here's the first Tuesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the three-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

CBS appears to have won both the two-hour and three-hour competitions in all ages for the night. But appearances can be deceiving.

"NCIS" handily won its time slot. "NCIS: LA" came in a close second in the 18-49 demo and handily won the 50+ group in its time slot. Both shows have been renewed.

"Unforgettable" came in second in the 18-49 demo, but not a close second. It did handily win the 50+ group. But by CBS standards the show, which has not yet been renewed, is running a little weak. This final Sweeps period of the season will determine what happens to it - cancel or Friday next year?

NBC ran second in the demo overall last night, but that was due to "The Voice" at 9:00. Still, it's a win financially as viewers were watching three "reality competition" shows which are cheaper to produce.

Fox placed 3rd in the two hour 18-49 demo races where the network wants to compete. "Glee" and "New Girl" have both been renewed but their broadcast TV live+same day ratings are sagging. Fox is where we see "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” demonstrated perfectly. On the other hand, Fox was out front in grabbing money directly from all viewers and is building a strong web "authentication" system.

ABC. The combo of "Last Man Standing" and "Cougar Town" dumped the network deeply into 4th in the first hour 18-49 demo. "Dancing with the Stars Results" was firmly in 3rd and in the running for 4th. And yet, "Private Practice" won the 10:00 demo with ratings not too far below what it pulled on Thursdays at 10:00 during February Sweeps. Perhaps the suits at ABC saw a weakness in the CBS lineup and took advantage of it.

The CW.

The CW is a real head-scratcher. Some of their shows are pretty good and should be popular in their target younger demographic. But those ratings are just horrible. I know many of them watch shows online, but I don't think that makes up for the low numbers. Have they just completely written off this network or traditional 1 hour dramas???

I agree. The CW has some very good shows, but no ratings to justify the expense. I really don't know what the future of the "network" could be. :(

:scratchin Yep.

My AV Setup

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

For those who, like me, are puzzling over The CW business model, perhaps you'll get some insight from CW President Mark Pedowitz Opens Up about Ratings, Profits and "Vampire Diaries" (Q&A) in which among other things he says:

I would have spent the first six months not looking at ratings. I would have saved myself a lot of aggravation. I had an epiphany in December, when I started looking at the social-media grids like Get Glue, where our shows constantly are in the top 10. Or look at live-plus seven numbers, which we don't get paid for, and we're tripling our women 18-to-34 ratings. You start to realize that these shows are working, but the key -- and part of our development slate this year is going to be an attempt to do this -- is to find a way to get them to come back to view the shows live.

My AV Setup

#47 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

part of our development slate this year is going to be an attempt to... find a way to get them to come back to view the shows live.

Good luck with that. Many of the Iphone, Ipad crowd have all but abandoned the "traditional" modes of receiving television shows. I guess the Authentication process is an attempt to rein in the chaos a bit. Still, that won't prevent the viewers from watching the shows form the WB web site, though I guess THOSE numbers will be counted in some way.

I really don't get it at all. I have a 55 inch television, and I know (much younger) people who watch almost all of their television on their 3", 4", or 5" smart phone screens. That makes the HD debate seem awfully silly. Costco around here is featuring a new 80 inch television, and people are using their smart phones.:shrug:
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#48 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Here's the first Wednesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, Wednesday was the last day of Nielsen May Sweeps week 1 and here are average numbers for the week:

Posted Image

Fox was, of course, the winner of the two hour competition with "American Idol" pulling 4.6 in the 18-49 demo and 11.7 in the 50+ crowd. But, as I've noted before, "AI" is taking a year-to-year ratings hit, with the show last year getting a 6.4 in the demo and a 14.2 in the 50+ group.

The ratings reality for Fox is that without the two hours of "AI" on Wednesday and one hour results show on Thursday, its weekly averages for the two hours it defines as prime time would be 1.9 in the 18-49 demo and 3.4 in the 50+.

In other words, absent "AI" ratings Fox's lineup stinks from a ratings viewpoint.

CBS, without a single must-see-live smash-hit-game-show, still won the weekly demo and 50+ contests in both definitions of prime time. On the other hand, it should worry all the broadcast networks that CBS won the week with an average hourly viewership of less than 11 million. (FYI both "CSI" and "Criminal Minds" have been renewed.)

NBC. Betty White apparently can't draw many more folks than Brian Williams, making Wednesday one of the Rebuilding Network's worst nights. If you pull "The Voice" ratings out of NBC's averages for the week, they still beat The CW. :sure:

ABC. In the ABC and Disney executive suites one should be able to see worried looks and frowns. Mickey Mouse's broadcast network was able to stay ahead of NBC last night.

But when you look at the weekly averages knowing that NBC has some really bad nights, ABC's average ratings for the week aren't looking too good. They also have some real weakness in their lineup.

So far they haven't renewed anything. With regard to some of their shows considered doubtful by pundits, news reports indicate they are discussing a 13 episode order of "Private Practice" which won the demo in its new time slot Tuesday at 10:00 this week.

The CW must have really had to work to find such a ratings loser in "The LA Complex.":nono:

Edited by phrelin, 03 May 2012 - 11:31 AM.

My AV Setup

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Here's the second Thursday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS won the night in the demo and 50+. And yet, only "Big Bang Theory" and "The Mentalist" won the demo in their time slots while only "Person of Interest" and "The Mentalist" won the 50+ crowd in their time slots.

As I noted last week, all CBS Thursday shows have been renewed except "Rules of Engagement" and I expect they will order something like 13-episodes for next year because it is such a good filler when some other comedy tanks. And it appears that "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” on "The Mentalist" was not long term as live viewers discovered it was back from rerun hiatus.

ABC. "Missing" will be missing next year. "Grey's" won the demo at 9:00 and will be renewed. "Scandal" is holding its own. It will be interesting to see if ABC orders a full season or 13 episodes of this newcomer.

Fox. "American Idol" continues to run #2 in the demo behind "Big Bang Theory". Compared to last year, it was down in the demo 36% and in the 50+ crowd down 24%.

The combination of "Idol" being down plus "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” resulted in "Touch" compared to last year's "Bones" being down in the demo 36% and down in the 50+ 39%. Still, for a Fox scripted show "Touch" is hanging in there.

NBC. "Awake", which I think is an interesting show, is a ratings nightmare. The Thursday comedy lineup should be axed except for "The Office."

The CW tied for 4th in the demo in the 8:00 hour! :sure:

My AV Setup

#50 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

If the May sweeps numbers are so important why are so many CBS shows having their season finales halfway through the month?

Edited by frederic1943, 04 May 2012 - 07:36 PM.

37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

If the May sweeps numbers are so important why are so many CBS shows having their season finales halfway through the month?

CBS has made decisions about most current shows and has announced them. Only a few are left.
  • IMHO renewals are still possible for "CSI:NY" and "CSI:Miami".
  • IMHO "A Gifted Man", "NYC 22", and "Unforgettable" are toast.
  • IMHO "Two and a Half Men" will get a full season, "Rules of Engagement" likely will get 13 episodes and "Rob" won't be renewed.
Fox has made most of their decisions and announced many. ABC has yet to announce anything, but probably has made most of their decisions. NBC and The CW are still deciding in a panic.

Basically, by the end of next week, the decisions about all shows will have to be made. As I posted on April 26:

Tonight will be the first night of the Nielsen May Sweeps. This will lead to the "upfronts" which as noted in Wikipedia are meetings hosted television network executives, attended by the press and major advertisers. It is so named because its main purpose is to allow marketers to buy television commercial airtime "up front", or several months before the television season begins. Held in New York, this year's broadcast network upfront schedule is:

Posted Image

Generally, last minute renewals are announced just before a network's upfront presentation begins. Oddly, the Nielsen May Sweeps ratings period will continue for another week after the upfronts.

Those last minute decisions about renewals will depend on ratings we'll see beginning tomorrow for two weeks

My AV Setup

#52 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Here's the second Friday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC's ratings showed a significant 18-49 demo gain as it won every hour.

CBS won the 50+ group in every hour but "Undercover Boss" took a hit in both the demo and the 50+. "CSI:NY" is still a possible renewal, but....

Fox. "The Finder" and "Fringe" both went down slightly in the demo. Again, "The Finder" did fine on Thursday at 9:00, but the Friday at 8:00 slot may kill the show. Then again, they did renew "Fringe" for a final season of 13 episodes.

NBC has renewed "Grimm."

My AV Setup

#53 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Here's the second Sunday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the Sunday-four-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

ABC won the 18-49 demo in all time slots but 10:00. "Once Upon A Time" will be renewed, though ABC has yet to announce any renewals. "Desperate Housewives" is in its final season. "GBC" is not running stronger in the demo than "Pan Am" did in the last week of October and first two week s of November when NBC had "Sunday Night Football" and CBS had "CSI: Miami". Speculation is that ABC is looking to pick up six new dramas. Whether "GBC" will be replaced is unknown, but....

CBS won the 50+ crowd for the night. But "NYC 22" isn't likely to be picked up.

Fox's animation night shows have been renewed except for "Bob's Burgers".

NBC is the great unknown heading into the Upfronts. Whether "Harry's Law" could be picked up solely on it's 50+ crowd ratings is ...well... probably not a good bet. Of course, "Sunday Night Football" will fill Sunday nights during the first part of the 2012-13 season, so who knows what they'll do with the second part.

My AV Setup

#54 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Inside Wall Street: CBS storms back into prime time
The No. 1 broadcasting network in the US is seen as big turbo-charged winner.

http://money.msn.com...47-49cdf5de0762

"CBS's prime-time lineup is very strong," notes Martin, topped by three different CSI series, The Mentalist, The Good Wife, several solid comedy shows, and Survivor.

The broadcast network cycle, says Martin, is measured in decades, with the network that is on top staying up there for a long time. Many of CBS's most popular shows are not old, with several of them less than three-years old, which implies another decade of relevance, says Martin.

As Phrelin keeps saying :D CBS and its Scripted lineup rule.

Atorino says CBS remains the only network to see year-on-year gains in all three key measures: ratings, households and demographics. With CBS's success in prime time and signs of recovery in TV advertising demand, Atorino says, CBS is set to perform well again this year.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#55 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Very interesting article.

I'm not so sure that "the broadcast network cycle is measured in decades" any more, but it is clear that on a year-to-year basis the other networks consistently are having trouble breaking the CBS dominance. In their effort to win in the short term, they are not picking winning scripted programming, but are using reality/game show content instead.

Sunday's 9:00 EDT airing of HBO's "Game of Thrones" pulled a live-plus-same-day 2.0 18-49 demo. No reason exists to not watch a later airing, record it and watch some other day, or watch it through HBO GO. People pay $13± a month for this premium channel.

I realize the advertising-based economic model for TV is different. But there is a market out there for creative scripted programming, albeit if you have to appeal to the 18-49 demo it is complicated. But CBS is wisely keeping a close eye on the 50+ group which is a group of people who likely won't watch on demand TV on a smart phone. They (we) do buy stuff.

My AV Setup

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Here's the second Monday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. Since we're talking about CBS today, I'll start with their Monday night since Monday fits right in with the discussion. The three other networks put their strongest programming up against CBS in the 8-10 competition. Indeed NBC's "The Voice" won the 18-49 demo and ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" won the 50+ crowd. But CBS ran a very strong #2 in the 18-49 demo with sitcoms that will continue that strength the entire 2012-13 season, just as they did this season from September 2011 through now. But....

ABC's "Castle" is finishing strong in the 10:00 slot, beating "Hawaii Five-0" across the board. This 10:00 contest a good example of how things can go if you look at the Nielsen 2012 Fall Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

"Castle" was running #3 last fall against the NBC newby "Smash" which premiered the first week of that sweeps period. Apparently "Hawaii Five-0" did not attract those who have abandoned "Smash" but "Castle" did attract them.

My guess is that ABC, which so far hasn't announced any renewals, will renew "Castle" unless their crazy.

NBC has already renewed "Smash" but they may have waited too many episodes to get rid of the show's creator, a playwright, who misunderstood the appeal of the show, thinking that her own and others in the biz she knows had really interesting personal lives that would make good TV.

Fox handily beat The CW by using "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing” to make sure their entire scripted lineup is completely destroyed. In this case Fox has demolished "Bones" which last year during the equivalent week on Thursday at 9:00 pulled a 3.4 in the demo and 7.6 in the 50+ crowd.

The CW. Attracting a million total viewers is getting to be tough for "The Cute Women" network. The "Gossip Girl" women aren't that popular, but "Hart of Dixie" women are, apparently. But then we record and watch the latter as much for the music as the light stories.:sure:

Edited by phrelin, 08 May 2012 - 11:18 AM.

My AV Setup

#57 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

My guess is that ABC, which so far hasn't announced any renewals, will renew "Castle" unless their crazy.

NBC has already renewed "Smash" but they may have waited too many episodes to get rid of the show's creator, a playwright, who misunderstood the appeal of the show, thinking that her own and others in the biz she knows had really interesting personal lives that would make good TV.

Castle is easily my favorite non-Game of Thrones show, and Smash is losing me quickly, regardless of my experience in theater. I think they absolutely waited too long.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#58 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

As I was "out-of-office" yesterday, I'm posting both Tuesday and Wednesday ratings today.

Here's the second Tuesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS suits, having renewed almost everything for next season, should be sitting back waiting to see how the Upfront sales go. But Tuesday's 10:00 show "Unforgettable" is a big question mark in the renewal discussion in the executive suite. The fact that it jumped in the 18-49 demo ratings when "The Voice" season finale was on NBC had to stir some anxiety.

ABC hasn't renewed anything, but we now know that "Cougar Town" will be on TBS next year. "Private Practice" will be renewed but whether it will be renewed as a final season is not clear.

Fox has renewed "Glee" and "New Girl", both of which did better last night than last week.

NBC's "The Voice" is a powerhouse for them while "Fashion Star" had better be cheap to produce.

Here's the second Wednesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

NBC has renewed "Law & Order: SVU". I don't know what they're going to do with Betty White nor Brian Williams' prime time fiasco.

CBS has renewed "Criminal Minds" and "CSI".

ABC will probably renew their entire Wednesday lineup, but they're holding things "close to the vest" so far?

Fox continues to see a year-to-year slide in "American Idol" dominating ratings. Last year it pulled 6.9 in the demo and 15.5 in the 50+ crowd, compared to this year's 4.4 and 11.7.

My AV Setup

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Here's the third and last competitive Thursday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because this is the last Thursday before the Upfronts and this week the networks have been announcing renewals for next season, I added the averages column to the ratings. Thursday is the most competitive night this spring, so it's interesting to see what the ratings look like.

ABC announced some renewals today. Not surprisingly "Grey's Anatomy" was among them and "Missing" was not. So what about "Scandal" in the scheme of things?

The Spring Sweeps has to be compared to the Fall Sweeps with the understanding that total viewership is down, and the 18-49 demo for the 10:00 Thursday slot is down 20%. When one compares "Scandal" ratings to "Private Practice" ratings that factor has to be considered. While total demo ratings are down 20%, ABC using "Scandal" has seen a drop of only 14% and while "Private Practice" pulled only 29% of the total viewers "Scandal" is pulling 32%. IMHO "Scandal" is competitive. Whether ABC will think it is, who knows?

"Grey's Anatomy" won the 9:00 hour in the demo.

CBS has renewed everything but "Rules of Engagement" which they probably will also renew. What's interesting about Thursdays is that CBS won the two hour competition overall, tying in the demo with Fox but pulling more 50+ viewers. And yet it did so winning only the 8:00 half hour slot with "Big Bang Theory." CBS also won the three hour competition winning the 10:00 hour with "The Mentalist".

Fox managed to screw up a winning hand.

There is probably nothing they could have done about "American Idol" dropping from year-to-year or it getting clobbered by "Big Bang Theory." But you know something's wrong when you realize that last year "Idol" pulled a 6.3 demo and 15.3 in the 50+ group compared to last night's 3.9 and 11.2. That's a 38% drop in the demo which is what Fox is all about.

And a year ago "Bones" pulled a 3.4 in the demo compared to "Touch" with 2.0, a 41% drop. As a comparison, ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" last year pulled a 3.2 in the demo compared to this year's 3.4. So Fox's suits can't claim "fewer viewers" this year as an excuse. They're stuck with being labeled really, really stupid.

NBC's plans for next year are truly confusing. I know their Thursday comedies are cult favorites, particularly with the "New York smart crowd." But with the possible exception of "The Office" these shows pull terrible ratings. I know they need more episodes of these shows for syndication, so I guess they'll focus on other days to try to become a competitive network. "Try" is the critical word if one looks at "Awake's" ratings which would be weak on The CW.

The CW's only show of the week that has ratings to mention in passing is "Vampire Diaries" which in the demo competes well against ABC's "Missing." That, of course, says more about ABC.:sure:

Edited by phrelin, 11 May 2012 - 11:44 AM.
typo

My AV Setup

#60 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Nikita picked up for 3rd season. :up: :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...