Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011-12 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Nikita picked up for 3rd season. :up: :)

:icon_da:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Here's the third and last competitive Friday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the three-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

Because this is the last Friday before the Upfronts and this week the networks have been announcing renewals for next season, I added the averages column to the ratings.

ABC's cheap-to-produce gave it an 18-49 demo win for the night and a win in every hour except for 10:00 where it tied for a demo win.

CBS, because it wins handily among the 50+ viewers, won the total viewers for the night and in every hour. "CSI: NY" is one of the few CBS shows that still has not been picked up or canceled. Those who have or will watch last night's episode, it's a tough place to leave it.

Fox has canceled "The Finder" but given "Fringe" a final season.

NBC is renewed "Grimm."

The CW has renewed both "Nikita" and "Supernatural."

Friday is becoming a tough night. Over the past three weeks the 8:00 hour has attracted an average of only 22 million viewers, while the same hour on Thursday attracted 40 million. The Friday 9:00 hour 23 million, Thursday 34 million. On the other hand, 10:00 Friday's 20 million compared to Thursday's 21 million isn't bad. The significant viewer loss is in the demo, however, which affects advertising revenue.

The Upfronts begin Monday so most decisions about renewals have been made. You can see a complete status list here which is interesting if for no other reason, CBS has the most shows still undecided.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#63 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I guess I'll be waiting to watch CSI NY then based on the adverts for that episode.

CBS has four undecided that I watch and has cancelled one that I watch, All their renewals I do watch except for The Good Wife. I just couldn't get into it.

NBC has cancelled four shows I watch and kept one that I watch (Grimm), Oh well.

Fox is down to two shows that I watch after cancelling the other two I watch.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#64 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Here's the third Sunday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the Sunday-four-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

In the 1956-57 TV season, we had three primary broadcast TV networks plus a couple of other struggling upstarts. We had 38.9 million TV households. On Sundays "The Ed Sullivan Show" attracted a season average of 14.94 million live viewers.

In the 2011-12 TV season, we had three full schedule broadcast TV networks plus Fox, and The CW which is struggling. In 2012 we have nearly 114.7 million TV households which is 2.95 times the number of TV households. During the past three weeks the most viewers any one show could attract on any Sunday night was 11.44 million.

There is a certain irony that advertisers are focusing on a segment of broadcast TV viewers when as a percentage of people in TV households the number of live+same day viewers has become nearly irrelevant.

Over the past three weeks from 7:00 to 11:00, ABC was the 18-49 demo average winner with 2.4 million, CBS was the average 50+ winner with 7.1 million, Fox averaged 1.9 million in the demo and 2.3 million in the 50+ group while NBC averaged 1.3 million in the demo and 4.4 million in the 50+ group.

These ratings should be considered a disaster in the vast wasteland.;)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#65 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Here's the third and last competitive Monday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

And here's the network averages to compare using the two-hour Fox-CW-prime-time-system" and the three-hour-ABC-CBS-NBC-prime-time-system:

Posted Image

CBS won or tied for the 18-49 demo in every half our except 9:30 last night. On average, for the past three weeks CBS ran a very close second in the demo and a very close third in the 50+ crowd in the 8-10 pm competition and first in the demo and second in the 50+ group in the 8-11 pm competition.

ABC's 8 to 10 pm "Dancing with the Stars" on average for the past three weeks has run a distant third in the demo though it easily won the 50+ crowd with double all others. "Castle" competes well at 10:00.

NBC's "The Voice" gave it a winning two hours this spring. "Smash" was an early renewal. It won't be back until next January and supposedly they are reworking it. Maybe "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing" in this case will be to the show's advantage as its ratings do not imply a winner.

Fox, as mentioned on previous Mondays, rescheduled its Monday lineup often enough to succeed in using "the cumulative effect of nonlinear viewing" to assure its scripted lineup gets low ratings which apparently is the network's goal.

The CW has renewed both "Gossip Girl" and "Hart of Dixie" (the latter being the one CW fluff show on our schedule this year). I don't know why they renewed them, but obviously live+same day ratings are no longer an issue for The CW. Who knows, maybe Fox is seeking to emulate The CW.

My AV Setup

#66 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well with the reveal of the cancelled and renewed shows, I have discovered these things about myself.

1) ABC is my most watched channel with 6 shows
ABC cancelled 3 other shows I had also watched
2) FOX is my next most watched channel with 3 shows
FOX cancelled 4 other shows I had also watched. Guess my opinion does not matter.
3) NBC is my third most watched channel with 3 shows
NBC cancelled 3 other shows I had also watched
4) CBS is my least watched channel with 3 shows
CBS cancelled only 1 other show I had watched

So comparing that to Phrelin's rating report, it looks like I am almost exactly opposite the general population. CBS, which tends to get the most viewers, is my least watched. FOX on my chart is above both NBC and CBS.

What did we learn? Do NOT depend on my tastes when picking a show. :(

#67 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Here's the third and last competitive Tuesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

NBC has an early summer 18-49 demo winner in "America's Got Talent" which means profits for the network. "Fashion Star" at 10:00 was just a cheap filler.

CBS. "NCIS" is America's most popular scripted program. Nothing else even comes close as Mark Harmon get's a little older each year.

"NCIS: LA" has also become a total viewer winner, even beating "Dancing with the Stars Results" in the 50+ age group. Last night's two hour finale reminds us that a scripted show can get above a 3.0 in the demo at the 10:00 hour.

ABC suits are going "whew" as they get rid of rating disaster "Cougar Town" without alienating its fans because TBS picked it up. "Private Practice" doesn't look like it would hold up too well against serious competition. Whether CBS' new show "Vegas" and NBC's "Parenthood" will be that competition next fall remains to be seen.

Fox's "Glee" did pretty well over a two hour period last night. That should worry the suits at Fox as the show did as well as "New Girl" in recent weeks.

The CW. "The LA Complex" is the worst ratings disaster I've seen from The CW. Of course, the are going to have some Summer shows, so things could get worse.:rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#68 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Here's the third and last competitive Wednesday of the 2012 Nielsen May Sweeps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC's much vaunted Wednesday two-hour sitcom lineup is looking pretty weak. "Modern Family" which averaged 4.1 in the 18-49 demo. The other three slots averaged a 2.0 which left the network at #3 in the demo in the 8:00-10:00 competition and they didn't do any better with the 50+ crowd. "Revenge" at 10:00 did ok, but it isn't exactly a powerhouse going into the 9:00 Sunday slot next fall.

CBS is sticking with its lineup next fall because its strong enough to compete against Fox's "The X-Factor" and "American Idol". In fact, CBS shows tied "The X-Factor" last fall several times.

At 10:00 the aging "CSI" still held the lead this year. But both ABC and NBC are throwing new shows at it in the Fall.

Fox has to be worried about "American Idol". In the comparable week last year it pulled a 7.2 demo, 15.8 50+, 23.04 total viewers. This year its down 37% in the demo and 24% in the 50+ group. The problem for Fox, and indeed for all the broadcast networks and their advertisers, is that the 18-49 demo will continue to quit watching live+same day TV in droves. Fox, of course, has already established that to make up for nobody watching their stuff it will tax everyone subscribing to cable, telco, or satellite TV a buck a month.:sure:

NBC has decided to make another futile attempt to get sitcom viewers in the 8:00-9:00 Wednesday slot next year and to run the aging "L&O:SVU" at 9:00. They will be trying "Chicago Fire" at 10:00. This year their Wednesday lineup was a complete failure.

The CW's lineup every night seemed like a complete live+same day ratings failure. So except for "The Vampire Diaries" at 8:00 on Thursday, next year all renewed shows will be on a different night and/or time with several new shows added. I don't see that altering the live+same day ratings, but apparently they don't matter too much for The CW as their fans are in the demo that don't watch shows on TV, but instead stream them on smart phones, tablets, and computers.

This is my last ratings post for the 2011-12 TV season even though, ironically, the Nielsen 2012 May Sweeps continues.

No meaningful information about nightly ratings will be available. Virtually all decisions about renewals have been made by the networks, the 2012-13 season lineups have been announced, and except for tonight CBS has run the season finales of every show.

Next September we'll see how well this lineup attracts viewers:

Posted Image

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...