Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC gives "Grimm" as second season

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,545 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Apparently I missed this last week. From The Hollywood Reporter:

NBC has renewed Grimm for a second season.

The freshman fantasy procedural has been a quiet surprise on Friday nights for the network, averaging a 1.5 rating in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-to-49 demographic and 4.8 million total viewers.

The drama with a fairy tale twist from Buffy scribes David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf has been a steady performer for the network against established genre fare Fringe (Fox) and Supernatural (The CW) in the 9 p.m. time slot.

I'm pleased to see this. As weird crime procedural fantasies go, this one has developed quite well.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Glad to hear this.

#3 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Well deserved.

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

NICE!!! Can't wait to see the season finale! Hopefully there's a nice twist now that it's coming back next season!

#5 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

I enjoyed this series initially but gave up on it about half way through the season. It's got a good concept, but I thought some of the actors were weak and the writing was a bit too predictable. (Reminded me of what were called the MOTW-Monster of the Week episodes on X-Files.) The killer bees episode was particularly bad.

If they take a few risks in the writing and work on getting better actors, I'd gladly come back.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Like the characters in the show, especially the wolf that helps the cop, but plot-wise it is terribly.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,545 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I feel like this show, like a lot of shows, needed time to let the characters develop and to find an approach to the weekly story arc.

The primary character Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) works for me. So does the reformed blutbad (big bad wolf) Eddie Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) who provides just the right amount of amusing "I don't think you want to do that" comments. And Captain Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz) represents that villain you aren't quite sure about.

I think they are struggling with the Juliette Silverton (Bitsie Tulloch) character as Burkhardt's girlfriend.

I think they are working to develop a good show, not a great show, but a good police procedural with the fantasy twist.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I agree that Monroe is awesome, and that Juliette is weak.

But I sense that they're building something with Juliette, and that she will find out soon about the secret.

#9 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

I agree that Monroe is awesome, and that Juliette is weak.

But I sense that they're building something with Juliette, and that she will find out soon about the secret.

I'm wondering if she doesn't already know? I don't *THINK* she's had a scene by herself yet where she either confirms or denies that she knows. A couple good twists I can think of is either she's the Captain's sister and is "Keeping an eye on him." I can't seem to figure out if the Captain is helping him or what he's up to (Seems to be back and forth). Even better, she's a Reaper that fell in love with him. Or maybe she doesn't even know she's a reaper, or one of the creatures. Quite a few possibilities they could go with.

#10 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I like that they actually film the show in Portland Oregon. I'm getting really really tried of Vancouver filling in for just about anywhere.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

They have the facilities and tax credits. It's hard to compete with it.

#12 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm wondering if she doesn't already know? I don't *THINK* she's had a scene by herself yet where she either confirms or denies that she knows.

I believe they've made it pretty clear that no other (living) human knows Burkhardt's secret.

A couple good twists I can think of is either she's the Captain's sister and is "Keeping an eye on him."

I like her a lot better as the innocent, unknowing love interest who has to deal with the burden of the knowledge she's about to gain (like at the end of Journeyman).

I can't seem to figure out if the Captain is helping him or what he's up to (Seems to be back and forth).

The 3/30 episode seems to confirm that he's not trying to help any of the humans.

Even better, she's a Reaper that fell in love with him.

There's no indication of that at this point. And she'd have to be part of the Grimm bloodline to be a Grimm -- and that raises some, um, uncomfortable issues. Unless there's another bloodline with the same abilities.

Or maybe she doesn't even know she's a reaper, or one of the creatures. Quite a few possibilities they could go with.

How would she keep her identity as part of the wesen secret from Burkhardt? Also, is "reaper" the correct term? Are you mixing the Grimm fairly tales with the grim reaper (a la Dead Like Me)?

#13 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I believe they've made it pretty clear that no other (living) human knows Burkhardt's secret.

I like her a lot better as the innocent, unknowing love interest who has to deal with the burden of the knowledge she's about to gain (like at the end of Journeyman).

The 3/30 episode seems to confirm that he's not trying to help any of the humans.

There's no indication of that at this point. And she'd have to be part of the Grimm bloodline to be a Grimm -- and that raises some, um, uncomfortable issues. Unless there's another bloodline with the same abilities.

How would she keep her identity as part of the wesen secret from Burkhardt? Also, is "reaper" the correct term? Are you mixing the Grimm fairly tales with the grim reaper (a la Dead Like Me)?

No, they're Reapers. His Aunt Marie killed one in the first episode, and the Captain dealt with one later who tried to go after Nick (Which is why I question whether he's helping Nick or what he's up to).
And as far as keeping it a secret from Nick, the Captain is doing that just fine (I know, I don't think they've actually 100% CONFIRMED he's a Wesen. He still could TECHNICALLY be a human working for/with them for some unknown reason).

#14 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

From the Wikipedia article "Creatures Of Grimm" http://en.wikipedia....atures_of_Grimm

The Reapers of Grimm (also Hässlich) are troll-like wesen, usually dressed in black trench coats. Hässlich in German means ugly, so they are called the ugly ones. Their weapon of choice is a large scythe with an inscription. In the pilot episode, the Reaper Hulda carried a scythe that read Erntemaschinen der Grimms, which translates to "Reaping machines for the Grimms." In "Lonelyhearts", the unnamed Reaper's scythe reads Vernichter der Grimms, "Destroyer of the Grimms". This particular Reaper was admonished and maimed by Captain Renard, who seems to hold some sort of authority over them. In "Of Mouse and Man", Monroe is beaten by a group of Reapers as a warning that his alliance with Nick is upsetting the status quo. First seen in "Pilot".
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#15 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Wow, okay. Guess I missed a little bit along the way.

#16 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

They have the facilities and tax credits. It's hard to compete with it.

True dat. Looks like I'm stuck with VLF Syndrome.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...