Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New to Dish, What to Expect?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I ordered Dish today, install is next week. I've had Directv in the past and was happy with the price and service. Unfortunately I have no LOS here for it. Currently I have Comcast and while they are better now with promos, those promos aren't always available and customer service can still be a nightmare.
I just wondered what the general opinion of Dish is here. The ordering process seemed more complicated. He rattled off a bunch of info. It sounds like I can get $10 off each month for the first 12 months but I have to sign up for Blockbuster Express to get it. The first 3 months are free, but do I have to keep it to continue getting the $10 off?
I also told him I wanted to keep using my two series 2 Tivos, but because the hd dvr is a whole room one he assumed I wouldn't need my Tivos. At the end he said I could hook one up to the Dish DVR and for another $7 get a standard receiver for the other Tivo. But when he added that receiver the price didn't change.
Sorry for rambling but I'm a little worried. Maybe the email explaining everything will arrive tonight. It just seemed much smoother with Directv.
So I guess I just want to know how others find the customer service and product compared to either Comcast or Directv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 490 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

You won't be using your Tivos. Time to get over that idea right now.

What you get from Dish will depend greatly on whether you signed up for the older VIP series DVR or the new Hopper/Joey setup.

How many TVs, and are they HD or SD?

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ex-DirecTV sub here. Since you aren't using much Dish hardware, not sure what you mean by product. If you mean programming packages, I appreciate having a lot more basic HD content on Dish. Customer service I rate higher than DirecTV due mostly to the presence of the Dish internet response team (DIRT) on this and other forums. They've provided the best service I've ever had from any company, period. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the cable company in my area consistently ranks worst in customer service of any business year after year. I had a lot of billing problems with DirecTV and great difficulty getting them corrected. I haven't had any such problems with Dish over the same period of time. That's just my personal experience.

#4 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

PokerJoker- there are two t.v.s, one is HD and the other SD, so no Hopper. Not sure what model dvr they are sending but it is a whole room one.
I like my Tivos! They will be good for handling recording conflicts.

mdavej- Your experience makes me feel better.

Thanks for the responses.

#5 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

PokerJoker- there are two t.v.s, one is HD and the other SD, so no Hopper. Not sure what model dvr they are sending but it is a whole room one.
I like my Tivos! They will be good for handling recording conflicts.

mdavej- Your experience makes me feel better.

Thanks for the responses.

if they are sending a whole room dvr it will be the Hopper
u will not be able to use your tivos so forget about them

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Using tivo with Dish does not work well. While you can program tivo with what you want, you still need to set the timers on Dish since tivo does not interface well with Dish's receivers. Also, is ota involved in your setup?

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

The only way you can use your Tivo's is with an antenna for over the air TV. It does not work with Dish services. (You could hook up the TIVO from the receiver and set manual timers, but why?) Hooking the antenna to the Dish receiver makes it part of the Guide and you can record just like a satellite channel. I think you have made a mistake in not getting two Dish DVR's and forget the TIVO. The first DVR is free with Dish. (There is a $6 a month fee but the receiver is no charge, second DVR receiver is $10, $3 more than a standard HD receiver)
Sounds like you have not researched much, go to the Dish site and build what you would want, to see. Look at the receivers etc....

Edited by tampa8, 31 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

The only way you can use your Tivo's is with an antenna for over the air TV. It does not work with Dish services. (You could hook up the TIVO from the receiver and set manual timers, but why?) Hooking the antenna to the Dish receiver makes it part of the Guide and you can record just like a satellite channel. I think you have made a mistake in not getting two Dish DVR's and forget the TIVO. The first DVR is free with Dish. (There is a $6 a month fee but the receiver is no charge, second DVR receiver is $10, $3 more than a standard HD receiver)
Sounds like you have not researched much, go to the Dish site and build what you would want, to see. Look at the receivers etc....

Series 2 TiVo do not have ATSC tuners so the ch3/4 output of the receiver would be the only NTSC signal to the TiVo. The series 2 TiVo was the last TiVo with IR blaster capability for DISH receivers but it can only change one channel on the DISH receiver, if you have a dual tuner receiver only 1 of those tuners can be used.

Call and change your order to be 2 VIP 612 DVRs the second DVR will add $10 and give you the capability of recording 4 satellite channels or if you have OTA you could add 2 more tuners all potentially HD.:):):)

#9 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

I did read up before ordering and as long as the receivers have IR it should work. I explained to the Dish rep what I needed. The only thing is he said I could hook one of the Tivos up to the DVR and use it that way which surprised me.
Like you said, Boba, no OTA with these Tivos and they are single tuner.
From what I understand the Hopper only works between HD tvs so I figured that wouldn't work with my setup and the CSR confirmed that.
Thanks for all the input. I hope this goes smoothly but I'm a little more worried now.

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you have DVR capability, you will get a 722k or 922. Without DVR capability, the receiver is a 222k. The TV connected directly to the receiver will give you HD (if you have HD programming) with TV 2 being SD. When the technician comes to your home, ask him if he would connect these for you. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I did read up before ordering and as long as the receivers have IR it should work. I explained to the Dish rep what I needed. The only thing is he said I could hook one of the Tivos up to the DVR and use it that way which surprised me.
Like you said, Boba, no OTA with these Tivos and they are single tuner.
From what I understand the Hopper only works between HD tvs so I figured that wouldn't work with my setup and the CSR confirmed that.
Thanks for all the input. I hope this goes smoothly but I'm a little more worried now.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

if they are sending a whole room dvr it will be the Hopper
u will not be able to use your tivos so forget about them

On single HDTV systems DISH is still installing Duo HD DVRs (622/722/922 series). The HD feed serves the HDTV, the SD feed serves the other room.

Once someone requests a second HDTV output the system changes the order to Hopper/Joey. Or one can request whole home technology and get the Hopper/Joey up front.

#12 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Ray and James for your help.
If I understand correctly I'll only have one tuner in HD? The only way to have two in HD would be to get a stand-alone dual tuner DVR?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Ray and James for your help.
If I understand correctly I'll only have one tuner in HD? The only way to have two in HD would be to get a stand-alone dual tuner DVR?

All tuners will be able to record HD ... the outputs are where the limits lie.

TV1 output can be HD ... TV2 output will downconvert any HD to SD.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I ordered Dish today, install is next week. I've had Directv in the past and was happy with the price and service. Unfortunately I have no LOS here for it. Currently I have Comcast and while they are better now with promos, those promos aren't always available and customer service can still be a nightmare.
I just wondered what the general opinion of Dish is here. The ordering process seemed more complicated. He rattled off a bunch of info. It sounds like I can get $10 off each month for the first 12 months but I have to sign up for Blockbuster Express to get it. The first 3 months are free, but do I have to keep it to continue getting the $10 off?
I also told him I wanted to keep using my two series 2 Tivos, but because the hd dvr is a whole room one he assumed I wouldn't need my Tivos. At the end he said I could hook one up to the Dish DVR and for another $7 get a standard receiver for the other Tivo. But when he added that receiver the price didn't change.
Sorry for rambling but I'm a little worried. Maybe the email explaining everything will arrive tonight. It just seemed much smoother with Directv.
So I guess I just want to know how others find the customer service and product compared to either Comcast or Directv.

Comcast and Directv cost more. Dish has more HD channels.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I see, that's good news.
Thanks again!

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Shame on that CSR. Both the Hopper and Joey have an SD composite output. If it's for an older TV with no A/V input, the composite can be run to an RF modulator.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#17 OFFLINE   atti

atti

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Shame indeed. He gave me a price for one dvr and one standard receiver. I realized to work the way I want it to I'd need a second standard receiver for the other Tivo. When I called to add that I discovered he had never included the first one. Instead of an extra $7 I was looking at $14 more.
I cancelled my order. Need to give this more thought.

#18 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

The first receiver is included with your programming package.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#19 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Directv since early 1996:
(never a leased piece of EQ Ever - Alll owned since day one with all upgrades done by my hands and @ MY costs)

Question:
Standard cost for 2 hopper 1 joey system @ time of order?
(new cust. )
(leased).

Thanks in advance.

#20 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

1st Hopper plus up to 3 Joeys are free. 2nd Hopper is $199. So you're looking at $199 installed.

#21 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

1st Hopper plus up to 3 Joeys are free. 2nd Hopper is $199. So you're looking at $199 installed.

Thanks,
Is that price in stone /negotiable?

I tried to run a "mock order" per their website and it wont let (2) hoppers in,
it seems.
Didnt feel like listening to the CSR push or sale noise, so i asked here.

What about price after install ( 1-hop/2 joe ) & "hopper" as upgrade in future- say this fall?
Cheaper as New cx? Same as upgrade? ect ect. $$

Btw
I cant find a thing id miss except ESPNu HD .. BUT
find plenty i would gain! :)

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

That's just what's been published. Negotiable depends on luck, but I've haven't heard of many doing any better than that. Like DirecTV, anything added later will be more expensive than it would have been with the initial install because you will have to pay for another service call if you don't have the protection plan. Plus you won't be eligible for any free upgrades for 2 years (I think). So I wouldn't count on doing better later, but you never know.

I didn't have any trouble getting what I wanted from my local installer, which I used instead of the web. I'd give 2 hoppers another try by other means if I were you.

Best advice is to PM a DIRT member like Ray C here. They will give you the best deal and the best advice without pushing anything. They are Dish employees and can setup the order and appointment as well.

#23 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks again,
ill see what DIRT says and then maybe call the local outfits in comparison.
( theres 2-3 "indy" dealers very close by )

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks,
Is that price in stone /negotiable?

What do you have to negotiate with? As a new customer there is already a large investment in getting you equipment and getting it installed. You might get some free PPVs or Blockbuster for a few months or HBO/Cinemax for a few months but those are common offers. DISH does not go crazy with the freebees.

#25 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Installed? Cost of such?
Ive got enough stuff here to outfit the local DNS (satellites unlimited) and a local D" HSP at one time.

Trust me some under paid/trained kid wont be using a drill here And as i stated ive never "leased" a piece of EQ in my life (but had D" since "96)
nor have i had a so called "professional Installation" near this property.
It will be done Including mast/dish WITH alignment And all wire.
-with MY hands and my meters / toners prior

= Just Bring me the node and the IRD's and just Maybe that HIC to make networking work properly it seems.

As for the posted/recommended 3ghz wire/barrel "orbit" considering the MOCA technology.?
hmmm...do you need Plenum rated ? Belden?
On hand and in the 1000' rolls with all fittings ect. ;)
In otherwards i wont be one spending 6 per month on the Protection plan.

Im just wondering what the price is (2nd hop) under this new age "lease" of todays sat companies since the web wont show it. Also going on these posts i see everything under the sun in upgrade and new install prices when 2 hoppers are concerned. (tis the norm)

I pay "them" (what ever sat company/provider) to provide TV service SIGNAL,
nothing else once i get the service.

Wish i could just go get the Ird's Under the "new lease model" pricing and activate it myself BUT "that tape" is in the way.

As for IRd's?
Got plenty (meaning PLENTY) from both providers.
Just no joey or Hop hop..

....Ohhh and/but i do need an account number :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...