Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Our First Night With Hopper & Joeys

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Why did I suffer SOOOO LONGGGG with my old D* HR20?

I LOVE this thing!

When I press a button, the system performs instantly!
FFWD and skip work like they're supposed to!
I thought I wouldn't use Prime Time Anytime, but I'm already watching stuff I never would have recorded, because it's there. :lol:

So far, this has been like upgrading from a Pentium II to an i7 Quad Core ! :D

Can you tell that I like it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

That is great. Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Excellent!!

#4 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I LOVE this thing!

I thought I wouldn't use Prime Time Anytime, but I'm already watching stuff I never would have recorded, because it's there. :lol:

The infamous HR20, why didn't you try to upgrade to the newer D* box before? Did D* try to get you to stay?

#5 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

The infamous HR20, why didn't you try to upgrade to the newer D* box before? Did D* try to get you to stay?

In my case, the infamous HR20 was the sole reason I switched to Dish!

Marlin, you're being way to kind when you say that it's like upgrading from a Pentium II to an i7 Quad Core. Commodore 64 to i7 Quad Core and I feel a need to apologize to any C64 enthusiasts out there. :D

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

:)

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

:)

Yep ... when your team is doing well you feel like cheering ... and such cheering is perfectly acceptable in a DISH forum. :D

#8 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

In my case, the infamous HR20 was the sole reason I switched to Dish!

Marlin, you're being way to kind when you say that it's like upgrading from a Pentium II to an i7 Quad Core. Commodore 64 to i7 Quad Core and I feel a need to apologize to any C64 enthusiasts out there. :D

I suppose I can ask you the same questions, did you try to upgrade to the newer D* boxes? Did D* try to offer you newer boxes to get you to stay?

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Excluding the HR24 the HR20 was the fastest DVR from D*. From reading here and there it appears that the HR21, HR22 & HR23 were slower.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#10 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I suppose I can ask you the same questions, did you try to upgrade to the newer D* boxes? Did D* try to offer you newer boxes to get you to stay?

I sure did! They had nothing better to offer me at the time. I should note that I've been with Dish for two years now. I had been a D* customer for over ten years and had no other reason to switch except that slow as molasses DVR. In the end, I didn't feel valued as a customer and the switch to Dish ended up being the right thing for me. The 722 was such an improvement! Much better as a DVR (faster) and as total system when taking into consideration the 2nd TV output and EHD capabilities.

I honestly haven't looked back so I don't know if D* has improved their DVRs or their HD programming. At the time I switched, I was overjoyed with the quantity of HD channels that Dish had. Dish felt so much more like a HD first provider while D* left me the impression of being a SD provider with HD tacked on.

Now that my two year commitment is up with Dish, I may take another look at D*. I am somewhat excited about the new Hopper/Joey system but am taking a wait and see before I jump in with another 2 year commitment.

#11 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I gave D* every opportunity to make me happy, and they refused to do so.
They would not guarantee me that I wouldn't get another HR20, so I politely turned down their proposal.

#12 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I sure did! They had nothing better to offer me at the time. I should note that I've been with Dish for two years now. I had been a D* customer for over ten years and had no other reason to switch except that slow as molasses DVR. In the end, I didn't feel valued as a customer and the switch to Dish ended up being the right thing for me. The 722 was such an improvement! Much better as a DVR (faster) and as total system when taking into consideration the 2nd TV output and EHD capabilities.

I honestly haven't looked back so I don't know if D* has improved their DVRs or their HD programming. At the time I switched, I was overjoyed with the quantity of HD channels that Dish had. Dish felt so much more like a HD first provider while D* left me the impression of being a SD provider with HD tacked on.

Now that my two year commitment is up with Dish, I may take another look at D*. I am somewhat excited about the new Hopper/Joey system but am taking a wait and see before I jump in with another 2 year commitment.

as far as HD dish is still the leader,so i would just stay with dish

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I LOVE this thing!

It's just dual threads CPU 750 MHz ie 0.75 GHz compare to 3 GHZ of i7.

#14 OFFLINE   fourhokiefans

fourhokiefans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Two weeks tomorrow and all is GREAT!:)

#15 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

1 week , works like a champ

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Compared to a Pentium II it feels like an i7.
He wasn't trying to identify the actual processors of either unit. :rolleyes:

EG: "This has been like upgrading from a Vega to a Bugatti Veyron." One doesn't need to know the engine sizes or specific specs to understand the feeling.

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I sure hope the guys at DirecTV are noticing this trend. The speed issues continue to get worse and they have to realize people aren't going to just put up with it. As far as others stating that we should ask for new equipment...they should know it is not that easy and will usually result in an extended contract. I am giving them until the end of MLB this year. If things are greatly improved, I'll seriously consider moving along.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Compared to a Pentium II it feels like an i7.
He wasn't trying to identify the actual processors of either unit. :rolleyes:

EG: "This has been like upgrading from a Vega to a Bugatti Veyron." One doesn't need to know the engine sizes or specific specs to understand the feeling.

It always coming to the size of the engine when you start counting seconds from 0 to 60 mph.:rolleyes: Perhaps only blondes wouldn't settle with that.
You fall off on a double count: when he brought CPU analogy (technical !) and when you start thinking you know what he is thinking :lol:

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

It always coming to the size of the engine when you start counting seconds from 0 to 60 mph.:rolleyes: Perhaps only blondes wouldn't settle with that.
You fall off on a double count: when he brought CPU analogy (technical !) and when you start thinking you know what he is thinking :lol:

:lol:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...