Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Our First Night With Hopper & Joeys

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

If I need it i will, but until then I want....

what else can u do?
hint: get your own internet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Main reason My Wireless function is turned off in the router and everything is wired.

wireless is safe if u have it protected by WEP or WPA encryption

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,336 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

wireless is safe if u have it protected by WEP or WPA encryption

WEP breaking in 15+ minutes ... Only WPA/WPA2 is safe for now.

#44 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

if only I had a better internet signal from my neighbor I could use the internet features.

There area number of outdoor wireless access points, repeaters, bridges, etc. that are fairly easy to install and setup. Ubiquiti Networks, TP-Link, and others have good products. Choose Power Over Ethernet (POE) for easier installation.

#45 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

tyvm

#46 OFFLINE   robinandtami

robinandtami

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I got one hopper and three joeys installed this past saturday. This was done as a free upgrade to a 722k and two regular HD boxes. This is actually my first DVR (aside from a WMC HTPC) because Direct repeatedly refused to upgrade me for free after years with them, and I made the mistake of having the 722K installed in my wife's living room (she never used the DVR functions :nono2:.)

The install went very well. The hopper initially had a pink screen until it finished with the firmware update and rebooted. The installer said this was common... but that if it didn't go away after the reboot we would have to bypass my Onkyo 709 receiver and go straight to the tv with the HDMI. That would have been a no go for me. It did clear up upon reboot though. I think that maybe the installer was not completely up to date on HDMI AVR's and video pass through. The last joey did take quite a bit longer to find the hopper than the first two did... but it came around.

So far I am very happy with the system. The PTAT is a great little feature that even the wife has found easy enough to use. I love the whole home DVR. Now I can pause a show in the living room, go get ready for bed... and pick it back up in the bedroom after I finish my nightly hygeine routine. No more trying to finish my brushing and flossing in a two minute commercial break :lol:

I do have a couple of questions though.

The DLNA will see the media on my PC but will not actually play it. This isn't a huge deal because I have other connected devices in my entertainment unit that can do this... I'm just picky and like things to work. Why does the Hopper require some type of DLNA server like Play On... when my other streaming devices do not?

Can someone tell me more about the little kangaroo icon that sometimes appears in the bottom right hand corner of my screen on the hopper? Does this have something to do with which tuner I am using?

Has anyone had issues with programming their Harmony remotes? I have three... a 550, an xbox model, and a 900. I've turned on the IR, and used the hopper profile for programming all three. The 550 programmed a red button automatically. The Xbox model allowed me to go into the customize buttons menu and program a red button for myself... but on the 900 I can not get a red button even in the customize buttons menu. It does not appear in the drop down box of available button choices.

#47 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I did have one thought about the neighbor sharing their internet connection.

I have to wonder if that is against their terms of service with the ISP?

The neighbor is in effect reselling the Internet connection for free thus costing the ISP a possible customer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,336 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Just one: Close the thread.

Or stop posting off-topic. That would be more appropriate.

#49 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I just had two hoppers and two joeys installed last Friday to replace two 722s. Then I was gone all weekend so it's still fairly new.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the ability (finally!) to adjust screen size to match the display. I LOVE IT!! :) With the 722, I always missed the edges of the menu and just had to live with it. When the hopper powered up and I saw an extreme amount of over scan, I broke out into a cold sweat. I started digging into the settings and found this option. I ended up adjusting all four TV's and they all benefited.

Other pros:
- Speed. Faster than the 722's and light years ahead of my old "D" system.
- HD guide is nice.
- Better guide integration with Blockbuster.
- Better guide integration with external hard drive.
- Four channel recall.
- All the hopper/joey integration designed into the units.
- Will look forward to hopper to hopper integration.
- Apps. I have used and like weather, Facebook, and Pandora. Even Blackjack.

Cons:
- Sling adapter is flaky and/or doesn't work at all.
- I never liked the Dish remote. I Hate how the upper navigate/select area is sectioned off from the DVR section. My URC 850 is laid out much better and is a lot easier to use. I haven't quite figured out where to map the four colored buttons yet. :confused:
- Where's the IR window? My URC is working without the repeater being placed over the window. I haven't researched this yet. It seems to be operating using the RF built into the URC and/or hopper. I am getting some interference though because the operation is not consistent.
- Recordings off the hard drive take a couple tries before they will play.

That's my $.02 so far. :D

#50 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Your Sling Adapter should settle down and become more stable. I have a Sling Adapter connected to my Hopper and my connection is pretty stable. It can take 30 - 60 seconds sometimes for the DVR content to display. I will sometimes establish a Live TV connection and then go back to the DVR recordings. I am consistently able to view Live TV and DVR content from my iPad, Android, PC, or laptop.

If you were recently installed, it can take 24 - 48 hours for all updates to occur. Please let me know if you are still experiencing problems. Thanks.

I just had two hoppers and two joeys installed last Friday to replace two 722s. Then I was gone all weekend so it's still fairly new.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the ability (finally!) to adjust screen size to match the display. I LOVE IT!! :) With the 722, I always missed the edges of the menu and just had to live with it. When the hopper powered up and I saw an extreme amount of over scan, I broke out into a cold sweat. I started digging into the settings and found this option. I ended up adjusting all four TV's and they all benefited.

Other pros:
- Speed. Faster than the 722's and light years ahead of my old "D" system.
- HD guide is nice.
- Better guide integration with Blockbuster.
- Better guide integration with external hard drive.
- Four channel recall.
- All the hopper/joey integration designed into the units.
- Will look forward to hopper to hopper integration.
- Apps. I have used and like weather, Facebook, and Pandora. Even Blackjack.

Cons:
- Sling adapter is flaky and/or doesn't work at all.
- I never liked the Dish remote. I Hate how the upper navigate/select area is sectioned off from the DVR section. My URC 850 is laid out much better and is a lot easier to use. I haven't quite figured out where to map the four colored buttons yet. :confused:
- Where's the IR window? My URC is working without the repeater being placed over the window. I haven't researched this yet. It seems to be operating using the RF built into the URC and/or hopper. I am getting some interference though because the operation is not consistent.
- Recordings off the hard drive take a couple tries before they will play.

That's my $.02 so far. :D

#51 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the response Raymond. I'm at work right now and gave it a try using Firefox with the latest extension/plugin. I can see the hopper and see the recordings, but as soon as I try to play a recording I get this message, "Your device isn't correctly registering with our service. Wait five minutes, then try again. If this recurs, reboot your device or router if you can. Then try again. (Error 6)" I had tried earlier today and got the same message. I have not had a chance to reboot anything at home yet.

spam firewall