Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newly scanned subchannel will not show up in guide

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I searched and didn't find anything exactly like my situation so here goes. Was adjusting the antenna and did a rescan of locals with my 722. One station has a new subchannel. It is found when scanned but will not show up in the guide. I tried to add it to the custom list I use but it is not in the list of channels. I tried to input the channel numbers manually and the tuner goes to the main channel. Main channel is 47-1, when I input 47-2 it just goes to 47-1. Not sure why it will not tune it if it was found during the channel scan.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

After you ran the scan, did you save the results to the 722 receiver? The new channels need to be saved to the receiver. All OTA channels will appear in YELLOW on the Guide. Please let me know. Thanks.

I searched and didn't find anything exactly like my situation so here goes. Was adjusting the antenna and did a rescan of locals with my 722. One station has a new subchannel. It is found when scanned but will not show up in the guide. I tried to add it to the custom list I use but it is not in the list of channels. I tried to input the channel numbers manually and the tuner goes to the main channel. Main channel is 47-1, when I input 47-2 it just goes to 47-1. Not sure why it will not tune it if it was found during the channel scan.

#3 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

There is no option to save. When I scan it tells me how many channels it found, I click "ok". On the local channels menu page there is no "save", here are the options, Scan Locals, Add Locals, Edit Name, Delete, Select All, Done, Cancel, Help. There is no save available. If I am missing something let me know.

#4 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

The help menu says that "done" saves the scan. I have done that several times, the new subchannel shows up in the list of scanned local channels on the local channels menu page, but does not show up in the all channels guide or in the list of channels available to add to a custom list.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

You want to add the channels once the scan is completed. What model receiver do you have - 722/722k, 222k, 612, etc..? Thanks.

The help menu says that "done" saves the scan. I have done that several times, the new subchannel shows up in the list of scanned local channels on the local channels menu page, but does not show up in the all channels guide or in the list of channels available to add to a custom list.

#6 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

My receiver is a 722 as stated in my first message. I deleted all the local channels and started from scratch. I checked after deleting them that they were not in the guide. I rescanned and selected all the channels I wanted to add, went to add locals, clicked done, clicked done on the local channels menu page. Went to the guide - all channels, ALL of the channels that I scanned showed up EXCEPT for the new subchannel that I am trying to add. So I am scanning and adding them correctly if the rest show up in the guide. The tuner scans the 47.2 subchannel, it shows in the list of scanned channels on the local channels menu page, it shows a signal strength of 77 when I select it from the list on the local channels menu page but it WILL NOT show up in the guide. I really don't get what is going on. If the tuner sees it, it should be added to the guide. The tuner will not even tune to it by entering the channel number manually from the remote.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

When you say not in the guide, do really mean the list of all channels that you pick to add to a guide?

Do you or did you ever use channel locks, could it be hidden/locked somehow?

One other trick, when you see it gets added when you do a scan, that screen - go to edit to give it a name probably what I think it is, METV. Even if it already says that when it gets scanned, put it in manually. (Or any name you want - the premise is to manually name it.)

Edited by tampa8, 01 April 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

It is not showing up in the guide named "all channels", nor is it in the list of channels to be added to a customized list. I have used locks in the past but never on OTA channels and it should show up somewhere shouldn't it? I did rename it ME TV and it still would not show up. Really don't get it, especially since I deleted all the OTA channels, rescanned and added all the scanned OTA channels and every one shows up except that one. I guess I will keep playing with it and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'll keep thinking too.....

Have you reset the receiver - do a hard reset, while it's on, unplug it, wait about 15 seconds or so, and plug it back in. The daily updates does not do the same thing as a hard reset.

Edited by tampa8, 02 April 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Any progress?

#11 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

There is a chance that your local station is just sending out the PSIP data for the sub-channel, but the channel isn't actually on the air.

What is the local station in question?

#12 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

There is a chance that your local station is just sending out the PSIP data for the sub-channel, but the channel isn't actually on the air.

What is the local station in question?

It's there, it's ME TV.......

#13 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

The channel is WSYM 47.2 (ME TV), Lansing, Michigan. I am going to check and see if the tuner in my TV will see it and allow it to be viewed. I honestly cannot figure out why it won't show up on the 722.

#14 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I connected my antenna to my Sony HDTV (which hasn't been connected to the antenna for at least 2 years). Using the tuner in the TV, the channel in question(47.2) had been previously scanned and tuned to it instantly. Not quite sure what the deal is with the 722 and why it doesn't like that channel. I am going to continue playing with it as it has become a challenge now to see if I can get it to work. I did notice that although it shows in the list of scanned channels on the local channel screen, when you go to the add locals it only gives you the option of adding the main channel, not subchannels.

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Ok, with that information it won't let you add that subchannel, I thought it would but just didn't show up, then delete just that one main channel, exit, go back and manually add that channel. (Don't scan) Rename both the main channel and the sub-channel. See if you can add it.

Edited by tampa8, 07 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I deleted the main channel, manually added it back without scanning. Renamed both the main and subchannel. The subchannel will still not show up in the list of channels in "all channels" or in the list of channels to be added to custom guide lists.

#17 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Now that you have done that, do a check switch. I forgot that part.....

#18 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I did a check switch and no change, still no 47.2 available although it is found when a scan is done.

#19 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Tough one...... :confused:

#20 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Really strange huh? Has me puzzled too. The channel itself isn't that important, it is SD and doesn't look that good on my TV but thought it might have some interesting old shows on sometimes. Now I just want to know why it won't show up, the challenge has become more important than the channel itself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...