Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey remote control questions

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

The dish 40 remote is only uhf. The ir option allows you to use a universal remote like a Harmony.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Interesting dilemma that tech support says cannot be remedied at this time. I have 2 hoppers. Both are controlled via my central IR distribution system so I need the ability to set the IR code set used by each hopper.

Anyone know if this is possible and that tech support does not know about it? It would be great if I would not have to upgrade my distribution system to make it addressable rather than the Hoppers.

JD

#23 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

The dish 40 remote is only uhf. The ir option allows you to use a universal remote like a Harmony.

Hmmm...OK. The post I referenced said to change mode AND set to IR in mgmt. So, I thought maybe I was missing part of what I needed.

So, my only problem now is that the IR is different from earlier remotes for Dish, and I don't have the codes. I have a learning remote and hoped to learn them. Any suggestions?

#24 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

I am pretty sure that you can change the IR code ID on the remote until you find the one that matches that of the Hopper. One of my 722 IR remotes has a macthing ID to the Hopper and worked for me. I also know that I could take my old 508 DVR remotes and change the IR ID to control the 722's.

Dig up a manual for your version of IR remote. There are directions on how to change the Remotes IR ID. The old 508 remotes had something like 15 different ID's. The 722 remotes had 32 ID's. Cycle through each of the ID's until it controls the hopper then you can use that remote to teach your universal. If all else fails I have an extra 722 remote I would sell you for $10 and will make sure it is setup to control the Hopper before I ship it to you. Just send me a PM.
Good luck,
JD

#25 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

The IR address must be set to 1. It is the only address the Hopper will work with.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#26 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

I am pretty sure that you can change the IR code ID on the remote until you find the one that matches that of the Hopper. One of my 722 IR remotes has a macthing ID to the Hopper and worked for me. I also know that I could take my old 508 DVR remotes and change the IR ID to control the 722's.

Dig up a manual for your version of IR remote. There are directions on how to change the Remotes IR ID. The old 508 remotes had something like 15 different ID's. The 722 remotes had 32 ID's. Cycle through each of the ID's until it controls the hopper then you can use that remote to teach your universal. If all else fails I have an extra 722 remote I would sell you for $10 and will make sure it is setup to control the Hopper before I ship it to you. Just send me a PM.
Good luck,
JD

I have a 6.0 IR/UHF remote I had purchased for my 722. So, I just put it on TV, and used the instructions to scan through the codes, and none of them worked.

The IR address must be set to 1. It is the only address the Hopper will work with.

So, having scanned through based on how it was set, I think I set it to address 1 (it was on 5), by following the instructions for the 722 remote for changing addresses. I scanned through the codes again, and still no joy.

Give that, jdskycaster, I am presuming that your remote wouldn't work for me.

I called Dish to see if they have an code numbers for me to input, and they didn't.

It is interesting that they have a method to set the Hopper to use IR, but no apparent way to get the codes for the programmable remote.

If any other suggestions come this way, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the responses so far.

[EDIT]
Will no success above, I went into my OLD programming software for my HTM700, and to my surprise, the 722 was listed. So I downloaded that, and it is working. :D

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Edited by ewingr, 07 April 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Not being able to set the IR address is an oversight and limitation of the Hopper for sure.

#28 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm making progress. But I do have another question.

Can anyone tell me which buttons on a 722 remote would operate the color buttons for the Hopper (red, green, yellow, blue)?

#29 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

You'll have to learn from a remote with colored buttons like the 20.0. The pronto hex is posted at remote central if your remote will take it. JP1 is also an option.

#30 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks, mdavej. I'll see if I can find the Pronto code and get that working. I have done so in the past.

I don't have access to a 20.0. So hopefully I'll have success with the pronto codes.

I'll post back on my success ;)

[edit]
I"m not finding the Pronto code. I suspect I don't know what to look for. Can anyone provide me a thought on that? I do not see a Hopper; I don't even see anything newer than a 622.

Edited by ewingr, 07 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

Sorry, you need to look for the 922 pronto codes. HERE they are.

Edited by mdavej, 08 April 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ah...in the forum rather than file download area. Many thanks.

Sigh...however, I find them not to work. Reading through that thread, near the bottom they indicated that the Yellow and Blue are incorrect for a 922, and are for a 722. I don't find any of them to work for me for the Hopper.

I thought maybe it was because I pulled them into the Pronto Edit as a TS1000, so I tried again as a TSU2000. That did not work either.

I'll try joining that forum and see if I can come up with something.

In the meantime, maybe something else will come along here.

Thanks again.

[EDIT]@mdavej
BTW...I'm not sure what you mean by 'JP1 is also an option'. Mqybe I need to chase that.

#33 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Part answered in another forum.

JP1 means you can send those codes from a cheap cable, radio shack or one-for-all remote you may already own. If you think you have such a remote, post the model, and I can post the procedure.

The colored button codes are identical across all Dish products. So find one good set for address 1, you've found them all. Some never worked on the 922 due to a defect in the 922 itself.

#34 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your help.

What I'm going to do first is try downloading various Pronto files from Remote Central for Dish. I'm not sure which ones should have the colored buttons. Only one I've heard is the 922, which you told me about, and the one found didn't work.

I do have 1 AVS Gear HA-IR01SV Infrared remote, which has the 4 colored buttons. This is a link to that remote on Newegg.

I'll post back how it goes.

#35 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

That model won't work. If you're willing to spend a couple of bucks, there are many solutions: 20.0 remotes are less than $10 shipped on eBay, and JP1 remotes are even less. You could buy and return an RCA RCRP05B for $15 just about anywhere and learn the codes. If you end up doing that, I can post the procedure. You could even borrow a cable, Dish, or harmony remote from someone.

#36 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I really appreciate your feedback. Just curious...are you on AVS Forum by same user name? I am communicating on this topic there too, and same user name is communincating with me.

Question: Have you personally used the 20.0 remote on a Hopper, and the 4 colored buttons, with success? The reason I ask is that I am game to spend the money for one if it will work. However mdavej on the AVS forum gave me the hex codes for it, and they don't work. I have a in the AVS thread outlining what has happened.

I appreciate your help and efforts.

#37 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yep, both are me. And yes, I have personally used the 20.0 on the hopper and used it to teach another remote I use with the hopper. But that's also how I came up with those pronto codes. Just make sure you set it to address 1. I don't remember the exact steps, but they're in the 722k manual. Whatever you buy will probably be on address 1 anyway. I just sold my last 4 20.0/21.1 remotes on eBay for next to nothing. I'm sure plenty of others are doing the same. If you want instant gratification, you can pick up the RCA I posted anywhere. That's the main remote I use for my home theater, including the hopper. It can send the colored button codes and discrete on/off very easily. But I'll have to post the procedure.

Edited by mdavej, 09 April 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

OK.

I just went on eBay, and found a 20.0 remote, and purchased it. Only $8.50.

So, I'll use that and learn the codes from it.

Appreciate your help very much.

#39 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I have two hoppers installed in the same rack hooked up to two displays, via a matrix hdmi switch. Basically, I get to watch either hopper in either room.

I would like to use my universal remote (urc mx 780 - IR) with the two hoppers. I have enabled IR on the hoppers, via set up menu. How ever, I can not get each of the remotes to output IR - i see no lights on the IR receiver (part of the IR blaster system), when I press the hopper related buttons.

Q1. Is it possible to make the hopper work with IR codes? If so, how do I get those IR codes? Can I buy an earlier model remote, perhaps?

Q2. How do I use two different sets of IR codes on the two hoppers being in the same room?

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

I have two hoppers installed in the same rack hooked up to two displays, via a matrix hdmi switch. Basically, I get to watch either hopper in either room.

I would like to use my universal remote (urc mx 780 - IR) with the two hoppers. I have enabled IR on the hoppers, via set up menu. How ever, I can not get each of the remotes to output IR - i see no lights on the IR receiver (part of the IR blaster system), when I press the hopper related buttons.

Q1. Is it possible to make the hopper work with IR codes? If so, how do I get those IR codes? Can I buy an earlier model remote, perhaps?

Q2. How do I use two different sets of IR codes on the two hoppers being in the same room?

Isn't post#37 above has the answer ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...