Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey remote control questions

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

post #37 does indeed give out idea for IR codes. P Smith, thank you for pointing it out.
Based on the advise of mdavej, I bought these remotes today on ebay.
Their title on Ebay was:
"Dish Network Remotes 20.0 IR & 21.0 IR UHF TV 1 & 2"
There was no description. I just bought them anyway.

I don't understand what 1 and 2 are.. Are they two sets of IR codes?

Since I have two hoppers in the same room, how do I get the 2nd hopper to work with an alternate IR code?

mdavej? Help please?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Since most Dish receivers, including Hopper, have used exactly the same codes for many years, I'm very surprised your URC doesn't already have them. Just pick the most recent Dish code, and it should work fine.

Although earlier Dish DVRs supported up to 32 addresses, Hopper/Joey only supports address 1. So you can't use 2 different sets of IR codes on Hopper. If you use the remotes you bought for learning purposes (which I still maintain is unnecessary), you'll have to put the key in position 1. Position 2 won't work on Hopper. You'll need some sort of addressable IR distribution system if you have 2 Hoppers in the same room. I'm not happy Dish has limited Hopper to address 1, but it is what it is.

Unrelated to your problem, but good news for harmony users, logitech has just added discrete on and off to the hopper profile, making it complete.

#43 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Again I will state that not making the Hopper work with more than 1 IR codeset is a major oversight. There will be many people that want to rack more than one of this in a central location and use it with IR distribution.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Call CSR and force then to create bug report with the IR addy 1 issue.

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

Call CSR and force then to create bug report with the IR addy 1 issue.

Feature request, not a bug report.

A bug is when something is not working as designed. DISH designed the Hopper to work via UHF or (as an option) IR remote code 1. The Hopper works as designed.

If you would like the design changed submit a feature request.

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

By design all dish boxes has 16 or more IDs. Don't post the funny ... IMOs "as designed". We don't have design specs, but have knowledge from previous models. All of them, what is will be enough to say it is a BUG.

Oh, I forgot to check on you: how many IDs has his father - 922 ? ;) :D

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

When you get the actual design specs for the Hopper/Joey let us know.

#48 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

Since most Dish receivers, including Hopper, have used exactly the same codes for many years, I'm very surprised your URC doesn't already have them. Just pick the most recent Dish code, and it should work fine.

Although earlier Dish DVRs supported up to 32 addresses, Hopper/Joey only supports address 1. So you can't use 2 different sets of IR codes on Hopper. If you use the remotes you bought for learning purposes (which I still maintain is unnecessary), you'll have to put the key in position 1. Position 2 won't work on Hopper. You'll need some sort of addressable IR distribution system if you have 2 Hoppers in the same room. I'm not happy Dish has limited Hopper to address 1, but it is what it is.

Unrelated to your problem, but good news for harmony users, logitech has just added discrete on and off to the hopper profile, making it complete.

Thank you for your help.

#49 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Just to answer P Smiths question, the 922 only could use IR address 1
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#50 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

as suggested by mdavej, if you are using mx 780. just go to the data base and select sat, dishnetwork, dvr921 ( I think. I am not sure which one of the model numbers worked). It works fine with hopper. It even has discrete on/off codes. Even if standby timer is disabled, the hopper goes into standby mode, once a day (when it checks for updates, I think).

i am using this solution for operating two hoppers in the same rack with IR.
I am using two IR emitters. All you need to do is enable IR (in the hopper menu) and use black tape to attach and mask out the little rectangle with power light, completely for both hoppers.
I will use an X10 lamp module, 12 volt power supply and a 12 volt relay with spdt 12 Volt coil relay.
I simply switch the throw of the spdt relay to select which hopper would get the IR code. At any point, only one hopper will get the IR code.
In the URC 780, simply add a code to turn on or off the relay accordingly, into the macro of the source selection button.

I set up the system with the x10/relay above. It works perfectly fine!

Edited by milwaukee111, 22 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

When you get the actual design specs for the Hopper/Joey let us know.

I'm obnoxious waiting same from you as the origin who mention these. :rolleyes:

#52 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

i am using this solution for operating two hoppers in the same rack with IR.
I am using two IR emitters.
I will use an X10 lamp module, 12 volt power supply and a 12 volt relay with spdt 12 Volt coil relay.
I simply switch the throw of the spdt relay to select which hopper would get the IR code. At any point, only one hopper will get the IR code.
In the URC 780, simply add a code to turn on or off the relay accordingly, into the macro of the source selection button. Simple, my dear watson. I am disappointed I didn't think about this sooner!

Sounds like something you would find in a game of mousetrap.:icon_dumm Too much of a cluge for my tastes and X10 modules are notoriously unreliable depending on your house and wiring. I hope you do not decide to work for Dish as a design engineer.

There are elegant solutions to this problem but they involve using an addressable IR routing receiver which adds significant cost when you already have a whole house IR distribution system in place.

#53 OFFLINE   rld37

rld37

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I am now a customer of D* for 17 years and contemplating a change to Dish. I do not have a Dish account and guess that is why I can't find what the cost of additional 40.0 remotes is. Can someone tell me what Dish charges for these? Is cost what is causing a lot of users to go to other remotes especially IRs. Is there an advantage for IRs. I thought Uhf would serve me better. I have a couple of universal WR7 and several Universal R7. I think these would work for IR on the Hopper. Am I right?
What is the cost of the new 40.0 remotes?
Are they lighted?
Do they have adequate and workable capabilities for controling TV, DVD and Aud receiver?
Would appreciate any help and advice.

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am now a customer of D* for 17 years and contemplating a change to Dish. I do not have a Dish account and guess that is why I can't find what the cost of additional 40.0 remotes is. Can someone tell me what Dish charges for these? Is cost what is causing a lot of users to go to other remotes especially IRs. Is there an advantage for IRs. I thought Uhf would serve me better. I have a couple of universal WR7 and several Universal R7. I think these would work for IR on the Hopper. Am I right?
What is the cost of the new 40.0 remotes?
Are they lighted?
Do they have adequate and workable capabilities for controling TV, DVD and Aud receiver?
Would appreciate any help and advice.

Check the doc http://www.google.co...8Lod4MYLViU-wjQ

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Oh, I forgot to check on you: how many IDs has his father - 922 ? ;) :D

Just to answer P Smiths question, the 922 only could use IR address 1

Interesting!

By design all dish boxes has 16 or more IDs.

All is a dangerous word. :D

#56 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Same as "by design". :D

#57 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

It's a bug if the end users have a problem with its "design".

Where I last worked, we called them "problem reports" and did not differentiate bugs from requests for enhancement. The were filtered by the end user representatives and CSRs first. If the PRs were forwarded by them, we (in software development) worked on them.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#58 OFFLINE   rld37

rld37

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Check the doc http://www.google.co...8Lod4MYLViU-wjQ

Thanks for the reference to the google document. Good information there I had not seen. The document describes the HIC but fails to use it in the drawing. It also says that MSRP on the 40.0 remote is $20 but that retailers may charge $14. (Q1)Can anyone tell me what Dish charges for these remotes. The document does not show remotes coming with Joey. (Q2)Is that true that you have to buy or provide your own remotes with the Joey? (Q3)I see in this thread that a lot of people are buying or using old IR for use with the system. (Q4)Is there an advantage to using IR? I had planned to use the Hopper in an ajoinng room by using a RF remote. (Q5)Does the 40.0
remote adequately work with other componets such as TV, DVD and Sound system? Any answers would be appreciated. Please bear with me as I have been out in desert with D* for 17 years.

#59 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

1. $20

2. No

3. No good reason to do that except for teaching a universal

4. No. The only reason to use IR is for compatibility with a universal

5. Compared to DirecTV remotes, they're more than adequate. They can control all your other devices completely because unlike DirecTV remotes, they can learn any missing functions. But if you are expecting macros or backlighting, they are inadequate.

Other benefits of these remotes compared to DirecTV include a locate function and simultaneous IR and RF. So you can use Dish remotes in one room and a universal IR remote in another at the same time.

If $20 is too much, the older model 32.0 works exactly the same (minus backup/restore capability) and is around $10 used on ebay.

In my case I have the one Hopper feeding several other TV wirelessly (no Joeys), so I bought several additional 32.0 remotes for different rooms. I've also enabled IR so I can use universal remotes. If you are getting a Joey for each TV, you don't need to buy any additional remotes.

#60 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

How do you do that? Your "other TVs" are all wireless?

In my case I have the one Hopper feeding several other TV wirelessly (no Joeys), so I bought several additional 32.0 remotes for different rooms. I've also enabled IR so I can use universal remotes. If you are getting a Joey for each TV, you don't need to buy any additional remotes.

spam firewall