Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey remote control questions

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

How do you do that? Your "other TVs" are all wireless?

MyWirelessTV

Realize this strictly mirrors a receiver. If you need independent viewing at each TV, you need Joeys.

Of course if you can run wires, that's best. But it wasn't practical in my case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   rld37

rld37

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks very much mdavej!

#63 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

It's a bug if the end users have a problem with its "design".

That is a "training issue". :)

Where I last worked, we called them "problem reports" and did not differentiate bugs from requests for enhancement. The were filtered by the end user representatives and CSRs first. If the PRs were forwarded by them, we (in software development) worked on them.

Where I work we have problem reports and change requests. It is sometimes difficult to get end users to know the difference.

If something is not working the way it once did or the way we (who know how it should work) say that it should work that is a problem report. In a DISH related example, this would be someone saying "my receiver does not exit the screen saver when I press the power button or press select". The receiver is supposed to exit the screen saver - it is not doing what it is supposed to do.

If a user wants something to work differently that is a change request. In a DISH related example, this would be someone saying "my receiver does not exit the screen saver when I press the 7 button or any other number key on the remote". While it would not be wrong to have a "wake on any key press" feature (other than accidental waking) not waking on "7" isn't an example of something that is broken.

Problems are usually solved, requests may not be satisfied. That is the primary difference.

There is certainly a greater importance (in both my and DISH's worlds) on resolving problem reports - bugs - before going after feature requests. Would you rather have DISH work on a problem such as "receiver shuts down every 30 minutes without warning" or a request such as "add Hulu app"?

Allowing other codes for IR remote control is a good feature request. Since that feature was not on the 922 I would not promise that feature would ever be added (and even if it was on the 922, features can vary). Allowing TV2 on older receivers to be controlled via IR (for Slingbox use) was a feature that sat in the "please add" queue for years. That too was a good feature request.

#64 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

btw, answer is simple.. if you are using mx 780. just go to the data base and select sat, dishnetwork, dvr921. It works fine with hopper. thanks to mdavej for the suggestion.

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

My take of the inability to use variable IR address for H2k is: its [922] predecessor's position on the market. Small quantity, different code-base from other ViP DVRs, lack of support due new development [813]. So, the IR addy was abandoned and didn't fixed now, for the Hopper 2000.
Sad thing is the new model pushed with persistence for new setups and mean the quantity threshold already triggering, we will see more requests to set different IR addresses for the H2k.

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

The design of the Hopper system is to place receivers at each television location. A single code IR receiver does not break that system of one receiver per location and allows for third party remotes in each location.

Multiple code remotes were useful for UHF remotes where if not set to different remote channels one could easily change the neighbor's receiver channels. This explicit setting of remote channel is no longer needed with the remote pairing used on the Hopper system. And unless one lives in a glass house one should not have to worry about the neighbor's IR remote.

I am glad that DISH went with UHF remotes for the Joeys ... it allows the receivers to be placed out of sight instead of needing to consider where a IR signal would reach the tuner. As a "bonus feature" one can control a Joey from another room ... which brings "multi-room" use back into the realm of possibility (using DISH remotes).

The ability to tie multiple DISH remotes to the same Hopper or Joey supports multi-room use using DISH remotes. But the intended use of Hoppers and Joeys is in separate rooms connected to separate individual TV sets.

Once DISH ties the Hoppers together on a two Hopper system I believe this will be less of an issue. Completing that part of the designed use of the Hopper system has to be a greater priority than adding additional remote codes. I'd say that supporting OTA would be a greater priority than adding additional remote codes. That doesn't mean nothing else will be added before the Hoppers are tied together or OTA is introduced, nor that anything introduced before those key features is more important. DISH just doesn't follow our priority list.

#67 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

The remotes are UHF. They are paired with one Hopper or Joey. The Hopper/Joey can have more than one remote paired. DISH will sell you additional remotes.

The ability to tie multiple DISH remotes to the same Hopper or Joey supports multi-room use using DISH remotes. But the intended use of Hoppers and Joeys is in separate rooms connected to separate individual TV sets.

Once DISH ties the Hoppers together on a two Hopper system I believe this will be less of an issue. Completing that part of the designed use of the Hopper system has to be a greater priority than adding additional remote codes. I'd say that supporting OTA would be a greater priority than adding additional remote codes. That doesn't mean nothing else will be added before the Hoppers are tied together or OTA is introduced, nor that anything introduced before those key features is more important. DISH just doesn't follow our priority list.

These two answers seem to contradict each other. Can I use two UHF remotes one one Hopper/Joey or not. I have several slaved rooms that I'd like to have an additional remote in for ease of use.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#68 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

You can link more than 1 remote to a Hopper/Joey. I have a 40.0 and 32.0 linked to my Hopper. Thanks.

These two answers seem to contradict each other. Can I use two UHF remotes one one Hopper/Joey or not. I have several slaved rooms that I'd like to have an additional remote in for ease of use.

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Both answers say you can have more than one DISH remote per Hopper/Joey. The issue being discussed in the second answer relates to IR control, not UHF control. Placing multiple Hoppers/Joeys in the same room and expecting to use IR control is not supported.

#70 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Both answers say you can have more than one DISH remote per Hopper/Joey. The issue being discussed in the second answer relates to IR control, not UHF control. Placing multiple Hoppers/Joeys in the same room and expecting to use IR control is not supported.

Actually I have a Hopper and Joey in the same room but have only enabled IR in the Hopper and have no issues between them.

On the remote question, I have five 40s to run one Hopper and two Joeys. I can't seem to pair the fouth and fifth without unpairing the primary. I also have a 21 and multiple 6.2s but don't know how to pair them. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

You're trying to control one Hopper or Joey with all five remotes?

#72 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

You're trying to control one Hopper or Joey with all five remotes?

I would like two remotes on each Joey.

#73 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, I figured it out. You have to unpair the first and repair both at once.
Thanks for the help guys.

#74 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Is there periodic communication between the remote controls and the Hopper/Joey that might drain the batteries? I have one Joey that tends to be unplugged for long periods of time. When I powered it back up yesterday, I had to replace the batteries in the paired remote. They were completely dead. The remotes that are paired with the other receivers which are plugged in all the time still have fully charged batteries.

#75 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

The remote works via Zigbee (or at least it did last I understood) so it may be 'seeking' or 'pairing' and when it doesn't find, it seeks again. So possibly.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#76 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

I learned something today. If you'd like to add a second remote to the Joey, when you are at the Sys Info screen, you must point the remote at the Joey and have a direct view. My new second remote would not pair and I didn't know why. My Joey and the TV it controls are in different rooms. So as a last resort, I tried pointing the new remote at the Joey to pair it,and it worked!
  • rcloward likes this

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Perhaps the pairing process verified the remote by IR channel too ?

#78 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Sometimes you do need to hold the remote pretty close to the Joey to get it to first pair. This is especially true with 32.0 remotes. Pairing is done via UHF

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

I know it's done via RF, but the point is you don't need to be close, if IR is not involved somehow. Perhaps as secondary channel ...

#80 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

You do have to be close. But IR isn't involved in any way whatsoever.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...