Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV.com with DIRECTV Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Better late than never... DBSTalk has obtained insider access to DIRECTV Everywhere over DIRECTV.com and we're proud to give you this first look!

DIRECTV Everywhere First Look

Special thanks to David Ortiz and Sgt. Slaughter for First Look material.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,945 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ah, swe... Dang! I keep wanting to use that word, but given the author, it's confusing!

And a very nice job it is, too! I've got the app, just waiting for my area to get blessed.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

A couple questions.

1. Is there an additional fee for this service?
2. First Look says "If a title is selected for viewing and the on-demand purchase is made through the web site, the content can also be viewed on TV without additional cost" Does that work in reverse? Can I rent on Receiver and finish on other device?
3. Never ending question about the Library. can you sort titles by "Free"? I know you can't do this on the Receiver. (yet?)

#4 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

A couple questions.

1. Is there an additional fee for this service?

There is no additional fee. Of course you'd need to subscribe to the Premium that the content was from, or else just view Audience Channel content.

Considering you can't opt out of it, I don't see them ever charging extra.

I'm hoping this will be expanded to other channels in the future.

#5 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Is this available for everyone at this point? I logged on to the DTV website using my Mac and it says beta "Watch online", but there's no way to download the software.
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Is this available for everyone at this point? I logged on to the DTV website using my Mac and it says beta "Watch online", but there's no way to download the software.

I downloaded the software a week ago, but I am not yet "authorized" to use it. There was a link in another thread to the download.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yes you can select only free titles. However at this time it's not smart enough to check against your programming package so, for example, Starz content is included even if you don't have Starz.

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

It mentions it can use a standard PC or MAC browser with a program to be downloaded an installed, but also mentions iPad. Is DIRECTV Everywhere played through the iPad browser or a dedicated app installed from iTunes?

Any news on having this available for Android tablets?

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Special thanks to David Ortiz and Sgt. Slaughter for First Look material.

Congratulations to the team involved for another great "First Look."

DirecTV Everywhere is not my cup of tea, but I still found the document very informative to read. :)

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, I was able to download and use the software after finding it in the forum. I'm not wild about the video quality, but maybe it's something on my end. I have a MacBook with Verizon Fios internet. It should be good, but I'll probably stick with buying stuff from iTunes and downloading it to my iPod Classic when I travel.
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Very Nice guys and just one more thing Directv gives us to make our HD Experience more enjoyable wherever we are.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Is DIRECTV Everywhere played through the iPad browser or a dedicated app installed from iTunes?

On the iPad, you would use the dedicated app. The player used by directv.com is Flash based, so it doesn't work on an iOS device.

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Personally I'm curious if this works on Linux. I didn't have the time to test it. It probably does.

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

here is the link. http://www.directv.c...tainment/player
I'm going to download it when I get home.

http://support.direc...id/3426/kw/3426

What do I need to watch movies and shows online on my laptop, tablet or phone?

To enjoy movies and shows instantly on your laptop, tablet, or phone (coming soon) you need the following:

Computer:
A PC running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, with any of the following web browsers: Firefox 3.5+, IE 8 (32-bit)+, Safari 4.x+, or Chrome 17+.
Macintoch computer running Mac OS X 10.6+, with Firefox 4.x+ or Safari 4.x+.
You will also need the following FREE software.
DIRECTV Player: This software is designed to optimize your viewing experience. Once installed, it will be available for all of your videos. Installation is quick and easy. Install DIRECTV Player now
Adobe® Flash® Player: You'll need to have the latest version of the Adobe® Flash® Player. Most likely your computer will already have this installed. If it does not, just click here.

Note: Streaming video is currently in beta and may not be available to all customers.

Tablets:
iPad® (iOS5 is recommended for best results)
You’ll need the FREE DIRECTV iPad® App. This app lets you stream videos anywhere, watch live TV in your home (with an HD DVR connected to the Internet), record to your DVR from anywhere, and use your iPad® as a remote control for your DIRECTV receiver.

COMING SOON: Cell phones
iPhone®, iPod touch® running iOS 4.2+ and later (iOS5 is recommended for best results)
Android devices: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Incredible, HTC Incredible 2, LG Ally, Motorola Atrix, Droid, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X, Pantech Pocket, Samsung Conquer, Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Thunderbolt

You’ll need the FREE DIRECTV App. This app also allows you to stream videos anywhere, browse what’s on DIRECTV, and set your home DVR from anywhere.

Will the current iPhone app be updated, or will there be an new one?

#15 OFFLINE   jmunick1

jmunick1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Great Review!

Based on the review and the wording, it sounds like new features and content are planned to be added.

Obvious question, what about access to content that is recorded on your home DVR?

#16 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

From the DIRECTV support page for online viewing:

iPhone®, iPod touch® running iOS 4.2+ and later (iOS5 is recommended for best results)

Android devices: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Incredible, HTC Incredible 2, LG Ally, Motorola Atrix, Droid, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X, Pantech Pocket, Samsung Conquer, Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Thunderbolt

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Great Review!

Based on the review and the wording, it sounds like new features and content are planned to be added.

Obvious question, what about access to content that is recorded on your home DVR?

The latter isn't going to happen, without the purchase of a nomad, that is.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

From the DIRECTV support page for online viewing:

No Android tablets listed.

Isn't it the "HTC Thunderbolt" though, and not "Samsung Thunderbolt"?

#19 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

OK I downloaded the app for my iMac. I'm getting authentication errors. (Running 10.6.8 , running latest rev of Safari.)

#20 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

when you are authorized for it ...it will download automatically
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall