Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Social media hits: "Mad Men' and the new ratings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I don't know what to make of this, but I thought others might find it interesting.

Nielsen ratings have been the gospel of the TV bean counters since, well, forever since the Nielsen ratings were important to radio prior to TV.

This week there was an an "authoritative" story in AdAge this past week talking about how "Mad Men" is great art but not very good for TV business. The writer noted:

As AMC Networks disclosed Monday, the two-hour fifth-season premiere of "Mad Men" snatched the attention of approximately 3.5 million people, including about 1.8 million people between the ages of 18 and 49, the demographic advertisers covet most. It's the most-watched episode in the program's history.

And yet, those viewership numbers would make many TV executives gasp in horror. When "Lone Star" debuted on Fox in the fall of 2010 with 4.1 million viewers, for example, executives at the News Corp.network waited just one more week before pulling the plug on the series.

But interestingly enough "Mad Men" was #8 in social media hits according another story in AdAge this week. In fact, social media hits don't seem to correspond directly to Nielsen ratings at all. Consider this:

Posted Image

"Big Bang Theory" being #1 isn't a surprise as it does well in the Nielsen's. But #2 is "Fringe" which pulls lower ratings than most things on primetime broadcast TV and many cable shows. One might attribute this to tech nerd scifi fans. And maybe some of the others anomalies to the the young female viewers of shows on "The CW".

But there sits "Mad Men" just below ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars" and just above "Dancing with the Stars" and "American Idol."

Again, I have no idea what this means to advertisers, but as the guy who does the broadcast Nielsen ratings threads I thought others might find this interesting.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Interesting indeed.

I find those darn hash-tags in the lower corners to be rather annoying but then think hey.... why not hop on my phone that has a twitter account and twit, or is it tweet.... ah who cares. Anyways... I only have like 4 "real" followers so no harm no foul. Maybe somewhere someone will see that I care about Fringe and want it renewed for a few more seasons. And that TBBT is a GREAT show. But the CW people... come on! (I keed, I keed)

Thanks again for the info!
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

What better way to draw viewers that to distract the people actually WATCHING the show and ask them to do your marketing for you instead of watching the show!

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Just want to point out that the rankings where Mad Men was #8 wasn't for all social media hits, rather just the GetGlue app users...a smaller fraction. Twitter and FB are much more popular.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall