Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"The Killing" returns

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I know I wasn't alone at being irked about how they ended "The Killing" last season. But I'm going to watch the two hour opener tonight on AMC because I like the show.

AMC President Charlie Collier in a Hollywood Reporter interview this week noted:

THR: Were you surprised by The Killing fan outcry?

Collier: We didn't intend to mislead. It's interesting. We were and are remaining quite loyal to the arc of the original series [which revealed the killer after 20 episodes]. I'm confident that we'll be able to get people back into the story and have them see [showrunner] Veena Sud's great work.

THR: You did a market study to measure viewers' appetite for season two of The Killing. What did it tell you?

Collier: Intent to view is very high from the core fans. So we hope that people come back and get into the story the way they did in the first season. It remains one of the most engaging shows on television and a genre piece done differently.

Also in the Hollywood Reporter this week was a guest article Sympathy and Advice: 'Lost''s Damon Lindelof Defends 'The Killing' Season Finale.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

The ending for The Killing last year did not brother me. I am just glad that it started again. Just finish watching it and really enjoy it.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

After seeing where they picked up, I decided it was ok that they ended where they did last season. (Like my opinion matters at all....)

On the other hand, my wife and I did have several discussions related to figuring out what happened last season to figure out what was going on. It's a complex story.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Halo

Halo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

The ending of season 1 bothered me far less than the horrible, nonsensical writing. The first couple of episodes were excellent and I stuck with it in hopes that it would get better. Mistake.

I won't be back for this season and it looks like I'm not alone.
The first episode of season 2 got a 0.5 rating.
I'd much rather watch Breaking Bad again.

#5 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Me too. I burned out on it half way through season one.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#6 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I kinda liked last season, I have not yet watched the first episode of season 2. Maybe later this week.....

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

The first episode was amazing! Yes, I was frustrated with the promise not being met that we would know who the killer is. But the twists and turns and red herrings and relationship issues are excellently done.

Rosie's family, in particular, are extremely moving.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Greatly enjoying this season. The fact that we don't know who the killer is yet does not bother me.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I am slowly getting into it this year, unlike last year when the hook was big.

Biggest shock was to see that Duck left advertising and is now in law enforcement.....:grin:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Biggest shock was to see that Duck left advertising and is now in law enforcement.....:grin:

:lol:

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Well, the ending was a surprise ... no, that's not the right term... a shocker, to us.

Even though I do believe they stretched things out over too many episodes, it was a really good murder mystery story with some really interesting characters.

The Danish original ran 20 episodes. We, of course, saw it stretched into 26. Frankly, I think it could have been well done in 15.

My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Is it done completely?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

The guide data only said season finale and in the Dish warnings they talk about not being able to see The Killing any more so I would guess it isn't over but don't know for sure, they at least left an opening for another season. They ended it with another murder but we don't know anything about it and we found out the mayor is going to get nasty. I wasn't surprised at the first person named, the accomplice was a great twist. Had my suspicions on the first one since early in season 1 with a comment they made.

As for another season they also left a few people, who definitely did things wrong, getting away with it. We also as far as I know don't know who put the drawing on her fridge and as I said the mayor thing can go just abut anywhere he is definitely not a good guy.

#14 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I loved the series as a whole and never complained about the story dragging out. Best crime drama investigation series ever. Emotional stuff last night. :crying_sa
Spoiler

Great finale and hope to see a season three!
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Definitely a good series. Will be interesting to see how they go with next season, if there is one. I hadn't heard yet whether they got signed up for another one or not yet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

The Danish series, which had 20 episodes in the first story, had a second story with 10 episodes and is in production on a third story.

Mireille Enos is in two movies now in post-production and one in pre-production. It will be interesting as she does not need this show, but it does showcase her acting skills.

In press speculation, whether showrunner Veena Sud will be retained has been questioned. Of course, the biggest issue was around not completing the first story arc in one season - people were angry when the final episode of season 1 didn't finish telling the story.

The irony is that in Denmark, the channel carrying the show ran the first 10 episodes in the spring, planning to do the same the next year, but had to order the filming of the next 10 episodes to begin immediately and ran them in the fall as the public was upset. AMC actually seemed surprised when the same reaction happened here.

I hope AMC orders the second story arc soon.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Of course most people were upset because somewhere before the first season ended, they promised we would know who the killer was. They then reneged on that.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I really liked this show......

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#19 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hope they come up with a different story than that of Forbrydelsen 2. It was not as captivating as the first series which The killing was based on. Series 2 was a politically motivated mass killing that pitted the Danish ministry of Justice against the ministry of defense and their involvement in the Iraq war.

Also did anyone notice that Sofie Grabol who played Sarah Lund in Forbrydelsen made a cameo appeance in The Killing as the prosecutor whom Lund turned to when she needed help.

All in all I like the Danish version which I saw on the BBC Iplayer much better than the US version......

#20 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

AMC announced today The Killing is not being renewed. Did they conclude the story with the second season? I've got both recorded but haven't watched yet. If season 2 ended without a resolution to the story I probably won't ever bother.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...