Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I need CCK?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. We have one HD DVR, a HR20-700. While it would be nice, we haven't yet moved to Whole Home, and since we only have one HD TV with a DVR, we don't really want to spend the money to convert the other TVs in the house to HRs (have 5 SD DVRs). Anyway, the HD DVR has been connected to the internet via the Ethernet connection from the HR20 to a powerline adaptor. This always has worked fine, in that the receiver says it's connected, and my iPad recognizes the HR on the DirecTv app. We don't usually use OnDemand, but tried to download a one hour HD show today. First attempt, it acted like it was downloading, but never got beyond 0%, after 30+ minutes. Got a message that said there was a problem with the connection, so I stopped the download. Not sure exactly what the message said.

I went to Settings and it said that the HR wasn't connected. I know that it was connected before the VOD was selected. Also, iPad app wasn't finding the receiver either. Restarted the receiver, and eventually got it to connect again. IPad app recognized the HR again, so I thought all was good. Tried later in the day to download the show again. This time it got to 5% and then the message came up again, something about trouble with the connection. There is nothing wrong with my home Internet connection, all other computers and mobile devices are connected fine. Hubby is watching TV now on the HR, so I haven't done another reset to establish the connection. Once again, the iPad app is not seeing the HR, even though in the HR's Settings it says that the HR is connected, and even when I enter the IP address in the settings on the app. I'm guessing I will be able to get the connection back for the iPad if I reset again.

When I tried to find support for this on the DTV site and this site, the only thing I see is info about the CCK. I know this is needed for Whole Home, but is it also needed now for all VOD? If not, does anyone know why the HR keeps dropping the connection when I try to download a VOD? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Actually, the CCK is not needed for whole home. Its only purpose is to bridge the DECA whole home network to your home network.

I suspect your issue is with the powerline adapter. If you can connect the HR20 either directly to your router with ethernet, or use a wireless solution it would probably work.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

The router is in another room, and is too far away to connect via cable. I don't know of any other way to connect wirelessly, other than the powerline. If I got the CCK, would that maybe solve this problem? I know that the powerline connection isn't always the greatest.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

The router is in another room, and is too far away to connect via cable. I don't know of any other way to connect wirelessly, other than the powerline. If I got the CCK, would that maybe solve this problem? I know that the powerline connection isn't always the greatest.

The self install CCK should do what you want. Wireless isn't always the best option, "but" if you setup the right channel in your router, so you're not on the same channel as another wireless router, it should work fine.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall