Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTALK: When is 921 Version L1.44 (L1.45?) coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, but CHARLIE said that, and he is always off on his estimates.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pculley

pculley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:40 AM

So it is the 14th... Think we will get an update in time to watch Enterprise in Hidef this evening? Here in Houston we have 9 or 10 ATSC channels, and I have not been able to watch any of them for more than a short time before the ATSC bug asserts itself. Lot's of weird side effects (channels with the wrong call letters for the channel number, channels that appear twice in the guide [not counting the sub-channels], but I have only three times been able to actually tune to one following a hard reset, and then it was badly broken up despite a signal strength of 115-120).

#23 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:50 AM

A contact at Dish told me on Tues (the 13th) that it will be at least 1 to 2 weeks before there is new software as the engineers are doing additional fixes (in addition to the OTA bug). I think this is a mistake. Given the severity of the OTA bug, if there is a stable (or even semi stable) software fix for the OTA bug, it should be uplinked now, today, right away. Then, they can upload these other fixes when they are ready.

#24 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:06 AM

The new software is just now entering the beta process now. It'll be a couple of weeks at least before everyone sees it.

This isn't a mistake either - the software needs to be tested before you get it. I've seen beta software in the past that introduces worse problems than what it fixes. And this software fixes a lot of things. The mistake was to release the 921 to the public before this software was ready...

So, it's coming...but not today.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#25 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:30 AM

I disagree. My 921 is flaky, but I am getting a LOT of functionality out of the satellite delivered HD channels. The timers arefiring without incident other than a few reboots where it recovers nicely on its own. My HD monitor FINALLY has HD content and I'm ready for the Super Bowl in HD, barring a doomsday scenario where Viacom pulls the plug.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:37 AM

As someone in the tech industry, I'm unfortunately familiar with the push to get product out the door before all of the kinks have been worked out. At least the software on the Dish receivers gets upgraded more or less automatically; many embedded devices do not have this luxury (and thus their end users permenately suffer the results of rushing to get the products shipped by a certain date).

BobMurdoch, which "satellite delivered HD channels" do you enjoy watching, and what content on those channels? Assuming that one has no interest in sports and thus no interest in ESPNHD, is there much worth watching?

#27 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:50 AM

To bad Dish does not offer an option, like many computer software companies, to download a beta version of their software, with no Technical Support, until that software migrates to a final version. You could always reinstall the last official release if the beta version is unsuitable. Considering the limited number of 921 receivers in consumers hands why not let those of us willing to accept the risk test the new software. It would give Dish a broader base from which to ascertain the effectiveness of the fixes contained in this beta release.

Beta testing is no great feat. I have done hardware and software beta work for Microsoft, DCA Communications, Symantec, Adaptec and Adobe.

#28 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:58 AM

Even with this partially finished 921 I now get....

1. HD Net. Mark Cuban started this channel and it is obvious he is an HD enthusiast. ONLY HD programming on it with no upconverting that I can tell (other than a few old shows like Hogan's Heroes), and Dolby Digital sound on most programs. Along with Discovery HD, they have "found religion" and are really pushing the quality of the format's offerings higher.

2. HD Movies. OK, this one is mostly filled with older movies, but in fairness there are a lot of older movies that have not seen the other Pay TV nets in years.

3. DiscoveryHD. THIS is the reason you need one. I have never been a big PBS guy, but a lot of these shows demonstrate the appeal of HDTV. Even Trading Spaces gets an upgrade with Dolby Digital sound, crystal clear pictures (you can actually see fabric textures, fine patterns, and other details normally lost). Crocodile Hunter, NASA documentaries, and various other Science based content that will get you excited about that subject again.

4. HBO HD/SHO HD. I watched Spiderman on HBO HD and it looked BETTER than it did on my DVD. Crisp colors, no artifacts, pixellation, or edge enhancement I could detect. It looked better than my local movie theatre. Haven't watched much SHO HD yet but I expect the same. Yes, there is some upconverted content here, but even then there is hardly any compression when compared with the SD equivalent channels.

5. CBS HD. Watch football on this channel and you'll know why you got HDTV. Nuff said. CBS's entire prime time schedule is shot in HD.

6. HDTV Demo channel. OK, this gets old quick, but it is a good channel when friends and family want to come over and you want to show off. Or if you have an unhealthy fascination with Laurie Farkas.

7. ESPN HD is great when it has HD content, awful when it is upconverted and stretched.

8. There is an HD PPV channel that has a lot of IMAX films which also show off the format. Most of Brian MacGillivray's films (He does a lot of good IMAX films) get put here.

And that is without OTA channels. Getting all of the ABC, Fox, NBC, PBS, WB, and UPN shows will just be icing on the cake (assuming I can pull them in from New York at 45 miles or Philly at 60 miles).

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

BobMurdoch, which "satellite delivered HD channels" do you enjoy watching, and what content on those channels? Assuming that one has no interest in sports and thus no interest in ESPNHD, is there much worth watching?

"Is there much worth watching?" Ummm, yup. And a lot of it's on at times I wouldn't be able to see it if I couldn't record it with the 921. There are some interesting shows on HDNet. There are movies on HDNet Movies, HBO, and Showtime. There are great shows on Discovery HD Theater. There are some network series I really enjoy. Is there enough worth watching if sports isn't a big deal? Oh, I'd say there's more than enough to watch than I even have time for. And being able to time shift with the 921 allows me to see shows I would otherwise miss.

#30 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:23 AM

Agreed Jerry - that's what I'm currently using my 921 for as well because I have other options for recording OTA HD channels.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#31 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:09 PM

"The new software is just now entering the beta process now. It'll be a couple of weeks at least before everyone sees it.

This isn't a mistake either - the software needs to be tested before you get it. I've seen beta software in the past that introduces worse problems than what it fixes. And this software fixes a lot of things. The mistake was to release the 921 to the public before this software was ready...

So, it's coming...but not today."

Mark- I was told by 2 different people at E* booth that the L1.43 would be out today. I wonder if now they meant to their beta testers only. I assumed they both meant to the public.

Anyway, considering you have claimed to be an official beta tester, are you at liberty to say whether you have received L1.43 or not? Not asking for a performance report but I was just trying to place the accuracy of the information I got at CES. In addition, there was one more piece of information one of the two who told me about the L1.43 too but considering I could not get confirmation on it from one more source, I refrained from posting what I heard. I have two rules, I post what I hear when I hear it from two sources or I post what I hear when I have permission to quote the person by name

#32 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:37 PM

"The new software is just now entering the beta process now. It'll be a couple of weeks at least before everyone sees it.

So, it's coming...but not today."

Mark- I was told by 2 different people at E* booth that the L1.43 would be out today. I wonder if now they meant to their beta testers only. I assumed they both meant to the public.

Anyway, considering you have claimed to be an official beta tester, are you at liberty to say whether you have received L1.43 or not? Not asking for a performance report but I was just trying to place the accuracy of the information I got at CES. In addition, there was one more piece of information one of the two who told me about the L1.43 too but considering I could not get confirmation on it from one more source, I refrained from posting what I heard. I have two rules, I post what I hear when I hear it from two sources or I post what I hear when I have permission to quote the person by name

DonLandis-Was this a good piece of unconfirmed info or bad? !pride

#33 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:39 PM

... The mistake was to release the 921 to the public before this software was ready...

The mistake was not releasing the 921 for a more public beta. The small number of internal users they had never began to locate bugs.

Now that at least some of you have it (on waiting list that Charlie claims will be sastified by end of the month but I doubt that) they are beginning to hear some of the bugs.

#34 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:13 AM

I believe the OTA bug was known before the first units were released for public sale but they had the fix done in the next version of the software that has not been released due to upload issues. I believe Mark stated this in December. My prediction was that due to Holiday and CES excuses that release and upload fix would not happen until a week after CES when most people would be back to work and under routine. That would be next week. BUT, at CES two people told me they expected the next release to be on 1/14 but so far we have not heard, that I have read any users getting the new release. Since I don't have a 921, I can't say whether it was good info or not.
In the overall scheme of things, what does it matter. To those that have a 921 it means they will have to just wait for OTA fix. To those who don't have the 921 and want it, we wait also. To those who understand the current bugs and insist on doing what is know to cause it to fail and posting their failure, well, sorry you are so unhappy.

Heck, I spent 2 hours playing with a JVC921 and a DN921 and both performed flawlessly with the L1.42 on the sat channels. It was fun to the extreme! But then I'm one of those unique DBS subscribers who actually subscribes to DBS for DBS programming. I don't subscribe to DBS and buy a DBS receiving device to get my local channels. If DBS stopped doing local channels and dumped the OTA features off the 921, I wouldn't miss it one bit. But that is just me.

#35 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:25 AM

Don, if DN would provide Local-into-Local in HD, I would also be less interested in OTA, but until that day comes, the only choice for network HD is OTA. Being able to time-shift, pause, etc. is a major plus for me, and it will be nice to have the feature. As for reporting Bugs, remember that this forum was set up primarily to communicate with DN, to report bugs and feature requests. There are other forums for general DN PVR discussions which are more appropriate for general discussion, and using those would reduce the amount of clutter that the DN guys have to sift through to get to the meat of the subject at hand..
My 2-cents...

Richard

#36 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:32 AM

To those who understand the current bugs and insist on doing what is know to cause it to fail and posting their failure, well, sorry you are so unhappy.

What is the worst is those who understand the current bugs and insist on doing what is known to cause it to fail, and then call Dish Tech Support to complain about them.

From posts on various forums, some folks are doing that. I don't understand why; there's nothing that the Tech Support people can do about it. Dish already knows about these bugs; the only thing this does is give Dish incentive to not release additional 921's.

#37 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:47 AM

Some people feel a need to complain as often as possible. Even when they know the answer, they feel some compulsion to get a CSR to tell them what they already know (or try to trip them up so when they give the wrong answer they can rail against the idiot/crook as well.)

Let's call it the Circle of Strife.........

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:50 AM

As this thread is drifting off topic, I'm now moving it to the Dish DVR forum. Please feel free to continue the discussion there. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#39 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:53 PM

I am curious, are the HDNet movies, even older ones shown in HD? By that I mean are they equivalent to sitting in a theatre and watching the movie on film through an HD lens? Does this make sense?

Some of the old musicals, for example, would be just great to watch in HD, I would think. The old silver nitrate color processing is candy for the eyes on AMC, Fox, and TCM in SD. But to be able to see those movies in a format closer to actual film would be great. Is that how the HDNet movies are presented?

#40 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:55 PM

Yup. Everyone that I've seen anyways.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...