Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTALK: When is 921 Version L1.44 (L1.45?) coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

To bad Dish does not offer an option, like many computer software companies, to download a beta version of their software, with no Technical Support

What's different than what we have other than the bug discovery is more consistent???
:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:53 PM

I am curious, are the HDNet movies, even older ones shown in HD? By that I mean are they equivalent to sitting in a theatre and watching the movie on film through an HD lens? Does this make sense?

All HDNET movies are High def. Also all shows such as Hogans Heros and Charlie's Angels. They have the pictures rescaned for the file in Highdef. For the movies they are in orignal aspect ratio. For the old TV shows they remat them to 16x9 if necessary.

#43 OFFLINE   tm22721

tm22721

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:46 AM

If DBS stopped doing local channels and dumped the OTA features off the 921, I wouldn't miss it one bit. But that is just me.

Amen. Local channels have destroyed Dish quality and pushed many to watching HD only. If Dish ever starts watering down HD quality then I am permanently gone from the satellite scene.

#44 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:38 AM

Some off topic posts in this thread have been moved here.

#45 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:22 PM

If the beta release is experiencing any problems, and assuming the OTA fix did not create those problems, it sure would be nice if Dish would expeditiously release the OTA fix and resolve the other problems in a later update.

#46 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:44 AM

The way things are going, I predict that the incompetant software developers (working on this for over a year) will remain in constant conflict with the beta testers. This will keep the distribution of 921's down to a tiny trickle until DirecTV releases the HDTIVO end of March (D*'s announced release). At that time Charlie will blow his stack at the developers and put the release of full current inventory for sale, then begin to fire and hire until they get the system working on the fundamental operations. He has to lock in the DVR potential customers or lose them to D*.

I suspect that the only salvation for the 921 will be if E* can do a mass release a minimum of 30 days prior to the HDTIVO. If they wait until after the fact, then only two things will rectify their blunder on software incompetance. It will be either a drastically reduced price as compared to the HDTIVO or if E* adds a whole new lineup of new HD channels.

Compared to the HDTIVO-
To be released enmass on March 31st, off the shelf at all D* dealers.
To be full beta proven version, ie no consumer beta program for several months.
(This is what the reps at DirecTV stated consistently all 4 days of the CES show)

A gut feeling on my part- Considering the confidence level of the direcTV people on the ready status of the HDTIVO I would not be surprised if they release the HDTIVO a month early just to smack E* in the face by surprise. That move would be devastating to E* 921 sales and subscribers.

#47 OFFLINE   peterd

peterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:39 AM

E* has to turn on DishWire. This is their only positive differentiator from HDTiVo (only one OTA tuner is a negative differentiator, as are the bugs).
Peter
(New to this forum, but far from a newbie!) :)

921 Info (so I don't forget it in bug reports) :grin:
SW: L188HECD-N
Boot: 120B
Flash: F051

HR10-250 Info (no bug reports) :D
SW: 3.1.5D-01-2-357
Capacity: 500 GB (63hrs HD)
NIC: Linksys USB100TX

SW64, DISH 300 @148 & DISH 500 w. duals.
119 split off DISH 500, combined with 110 Sat-C LNB on 24" dish and 101 from GainMaster (D* 101 + BEV 91 & 82)

#48 OFFLINE   TheDarkFalcon

TheDarkFalcon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:48 AM

E* has to turn on DishWire. This is their only positive differentiator from HDTiVo (only one OTA tuner is a negative differentiator, as are the bugs).

Peter,

I think from another thread I am following that E* is close to turing on the Firewire for DVHS us only very soon. Stay tuned for more info soon...
- Andreu

#49 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:54 AM

Well I don't know if they will be fixing the problems in time. Look at all the screwed up new receivers and problems since last quarter. Nothing they have released in the new line has worked well. The 811 has to dark an image on the output. The 921 has ota tuner problems, among other things. The new 522 doesn't work like it was suppossed to with the single mode pip. None of the hd receivers have been released in good quantities in time for the X-mas season and now not in time for the Super Bowl . Something is definately going wrong with this batch of receivers. You would think they could have these receivers all working like advertised since they have been talking about them since last CES show in 03. Charlie is definately screwing up any advantage he had over Directv and Rupert.

#50 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:37 AM

You also have to take into account that the 921 is really new technology. Yes they have had some practice on the 721 with dual tuners, but now they have gone to 3 tuners (OTA+2DBS). You can expect problems here.

Where I see the main screw up of Dish is with the 811. This should be a simple box, a small upgrade from the 6000. The problems could be the result of cost cutting gone wild, i.e. they tried to cut the cost of the 6000 down to the point that they could practically give them away. Cheap components giving them manufacturing problems and quality control issues, making some of them give a really dark picture, and not getting the needed yield to meet demand.

#51 OFFLINE   sgt940

sgt940

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

My 921 rebooted itself twice today and than locked up solid after the second time. I called advanced support and they logged the issue (possibly they were sending one of thier daily updates?) any way he told me 1.44 (not 1.43) would be released in a few days.

#52 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:34 PM

sgt940, if you can reproduce the steps that you went through before your 921 rebooted, please post them as a bug report in the 921 forum so the developers will see it.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#53 OFFLINE   denier

denier

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:39 AM

my local retailer just told me the new software release is coming this friday jan 23.
can anyone confirm this??

#54 OFFLINE   fjerina

fjerina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 01:08 PM

Well, can anyone out there confirm the SW version 1.44 or 1.45 has been released???

#55 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

Yes L1.45 has been released. Do a search for L1.45 and you'll find a number of threads about it already.
We will never forget!:flag:

#56 OFFLINE   laker

laker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

I would guess version 1.45 is solving a lot of problems. Does this foreshadow a mass release of 921s in the VERY near future?

#57 OFFLINE   tahoerob

tahoerob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

Scott G reported that you have to reboot after download to get the OTA upgrade to work properly

#58 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:55 PM

So I asked back on page #1 of this thread if there was anything worth watching in HD. I stand by my belief that the HD package is completely overpriced at $9.99 for 4 channels. The price should be lowered to $4.99, or more channels should be added without a price increase.

ESPNHD is a joke; most of the time it runs SD programming horribly stretched to 16:9 as its "HD content". Considering how infrequently actual HD content is shown on the channel, and how poor the channel looks with the stretch applied, this channel really ought to be free if you already are getting ESPN.

The other channels? I would accept a few commercials here and there, particularly between programs, if we could get the price down a little. Right now one pays a premium in the hope that someday there will be additional HD content; there may be at some point, but sadly one may have to pay even more to get it. Shouldn't these be part of the Top 150 or America's Everything Package, besides?

... In any case, back to the topic at hand. Now that L145 is out, any thoughts on what Dish is planning for the next set of software fixes and next target date for a software release? There are certainly plenty more bugs to be squashed!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...