Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locals Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney Neb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thomas317us

thomas317us

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

some of the locals are out, namely ones owned by Papas Telecasting, NTV and KFXL, (ABC affliate and Fox affliate) are no longers being rebrodcast by direct tv because they could not get a new contract.

in the mean time here are a few work arounds

if you have charter internet, basic cable is on by default in many cases, so just spilt it or connect your tv to it and you can get the local.

in the DMA we have two ABC affiliates. one in lincoln and one in kearney, the one is lincoln is still being brodcast, so just watch that one for ABC programming, and then call direct tv and tell them you do not have a local fox station anymore so ask to have to turn on a national fox station, they may or may not do this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   IMFletcher2

IMFletcher2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I'm in Lincoln. I can get both KFXL and KPTM just fine with an antenna. I sent an email to KFXL asking them to get their crap together and work it out with DirecTV, or I'll simply just change all my DVR shows to KPTM and move on.

#3 OFFLINE   BeerPimp

BeerPimp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm in Lincoln. I can get both KFXL and KPTM just fine with an antenna. I sent an email to KFXL asking them to get their crap together and work it out with DirecTV, or I'll simply just change all my DVR shows to KPTM and move on.

I am lincoln also I am glad I bought a AM21. I switched all my DVR shows the KPTM. They have much better signal and most of their syndicated shows are in HD. Unlike KFXL who has a horrible SD feed on Direct TV and most of their syndicated shows are in SD. As a side note I was blown away by the amount of stations I got with my Mohu leaf antenna.

#4 OFFLINE   IMFletcher2

IMFletcher2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

My email to KXFL mentioned their crappy picture quality and low sound level. KXFL is awful in SD, like when they have their weather warnings on the screen. When I first got DTV, I set everything on the DVR to record off the AM21, but I had a ton of shows that didn't record, and only had a gray screen. Thus, I switched them all to satellite. Others have mentioned similar issues with the AM21, but it is hit and miss. I have a new AM21 now, so who knows.

My email to KXFL said they are nuts for trying to extort higher fees from DTV, which will raise my prices at some point, for something I can get for free out of the air. I also pointed out that if I have to go through the trouble of changing my DVR settings to KPTM, I won't ever bother to change them back.

#5 OFFLINE   BeerPimp

BeerPimp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I know it looks absolutely horrible when they have a weather warning. I would say that KXFL is the worst looking local channel by a fair margin.

#6 OFFLINE   thomas317us

thomas317us

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

you guys are lucky in the eastern part of the DMA, we cannot get KPTM here south central Nebraska, and we are stuck with KFXL/NTV yeah their picture is horrible and they are the only local that broadcast station the broadcast in 7209 not 1080i

#7 OFFLINE   timdub71

timdub71

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

The SD PQ on NTV/KFXL stinks with those jagged edges. KHAS doesn't have that problem with their SD. I live in Grand Island and can't get any of the stations over-the-air with rabbit ears and I'm not about to put a Big Ugly antenna outside.

#8 OFFLINE   BeerPimp

BeerPimp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was just thinking how it would be a lot worse if KXFL was your only fox affiliate. Glad I can easily pull in KPTM with a small indoor antenna.

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

some of the locals are out, namely ones owned by Papas Telecasting, NTV and KFXL, (ABC affliate and Fox affliate) are no longers being rebrodcast by direct tv because they could not get a new contract.

in the mean time here are a few work arounds

if you have charter internet, basic cable is on by default in many cases, so just spilt it or connect your tv to it and you can get the local.

in the DMA we have two ABC affiliates. one in lincoln and one in kearney, the one is lincoln is still being brodcast, so just watch that one for ABC programming, and then call direct tv and tell them you do not have a local fox station anymore so ask to have to turn on a national fox station, they may or may not do this.

Papas Telecasting is bankrupt.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   thomas317us

thomas317us

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Papas Telecasting is bankrupt.

yes I do know this, they filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and sold many of the stations that they owned, such as KPTM and KXVO from Omaha.

most recently Pappas missed a payment on one of their radio stations in California and after missing the payment, the trustee in their bankruptcy issued an order that pappas needs to liquidate stations in Nebraska and Arizona to pay off debts.

#11 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Something happened with the Lincoln stations because I looked today and on DirecTV, Ch 25 was MNT and the programming has moved to channel 4 and is the KSNB network. According to wikipedia, "On April 1, 2013, the station took the MyNetworkTV affiliation previously held by the second digital subchannels of both KOLN and KGIN"

I am not sure if that is a positive or not.

spam firewall