Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stability of sling addon to Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fredpb

fredpb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Problems here too. It also seems to have a problem deleting stuff.
Hopper w/1 Joey.
Living Room:
Samsung HL-T5687S 56" DLP TV.
Panasonic 3D DVD player.
Yamaha Receiver and sub.
Roku.
Netgear Entertainer.

Bedroom:
Vizio VW32L LCD 32" Widescreen TV.
Sony 1080p upconverting DVD player.
Joey.
Roku.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am pretty disgusted with the Dish Android app. Everytime I try to connect to my dvr...I get the message that my dvr is not connected. Then I spend way too much time trying to refresh and reselect my reciever to get it to turn green. I just want to watch a show on my tablet in my bedroom. Dish needs to fix this app! So frustrating to have technology that is a tease because it doesn't work 100%

#23 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I am pretty disgusted with the Dish Android app. Everytime I try to connect to my dvr...I get the message that my dvr is not connected. Then I spend way too much time trying to refresh and reselect my reciever to get it to turn green. I just want to watch a show on my tablet in my bedroom. Dish needs to fix this app! So frustrating to have technology that is a tease because it doesn't work 100%

I think it might be improved with some kind of progress bar or status display. When I launch it, it almost always tells me my DVR is not connected to the internet. I usually click on the guide, wait 30 sec or so, then click a live tv show and hit watch. Sometimes it says OK and starts, sometimes it tells me I'm not connected. I go back to the guide, wait another 30 sec or so and try again. Once I get live TV playing, I can select something from the DVR and it will work.

My guess is that it just takes a long time to connect to the DVR and because they're telling you it's not connected it seems like it's not working. Mine has been pretty reliable if I give it more time but it is confusing and a little annoying.

#24 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

This seems like the same problem as 722k always appears offline? and Sling [adapter] drops connection.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#25 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

I ran into an interesting issue this evening that I am trying to understand. I had the usual issue with not seeing my dvr on my android tablet in the Dish app, but the interesting part is that I could watch live TV from my hopper with the dish app. I am trying to figure out how I can watch live TV from the dish app, but it shows offline when I tried to see my dvr. Does this mean that the Hopper is offline, but the SA was online? That doeant make sense since the SA is connected via USB to the Hopper.

To fix the issue, I had to reset network on the Hopper. Reset connection didn't work. This is a pretty big road block if I want to use the SA outside my house.

I did notice a reboot function on dish online that I might be able to use remotely if the hopper is not recording.

#26 OFFLINE   sporttster

sporttster

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I just got Dish installed today. A Hopper and two Joeys and the Sling adaptor, which I was REALLY looking forward to. Needless to say, the Sling isn't working at all. I've got plenty of speed on the net, 25mbs down/4 upstream. On Wifi at home and cannot for the life of me connect either via the app or dishonline. Neither one will connect to anything. Initially on the app I would click on a show and it would pop up some mellow music channel! I thought WTH is this? So I tried a different channel, same thing! So I cleared data on the app, and now I don't get anything. I uninstalled, reinstalled nothing. I unplugged the reciever-waited-nothing. I cleared network on the menu of the hopper, TWICE...nothing. It refuses to connect to this fricking thing and it's ticking me off! I've checked router settings, chatted with tech support three times. This is a terrible way to start a relationship with a customer!! I'm so tempted to ditch Dish and go DirecTV because of this and I haven't even had the stupid thing for a entire day yet! If this is the start, what am I getting myself into?!? A nightmare???!:mad:

#27 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

See my post on page two of this thread...it got me off the Spanish station

#28 OFFLINE   sporttster

sporttster

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

What do you mean you 'typed in a channel'? You can't do that on the Dish app. And I'm not trying to watch a DVR program. I'm simply trying to watch ANYTHING! I can't get it to do anything. And the strange thing is I can't get Dishonline to do anything, either. What gives? Neither of them connect for me!

#29 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

What do you mean you 'typed in a channel'? You can't do that on the Dish app. And I'm not trying to watch a DVR program. I'm simply trying to watch ANYTHING! I can't get it to do anything. And the strange thing is I can't get Dishonline to do anything, either. What gives? Neither of them connect for me!

Relax - there's no need to wig out just yet.

Open the dish app, wait for it to log in. Click menu, guide. You should get a full program guide. Then wait 30 sec or so. Click on a channel, any channel, then click watch. It will probably tell you your dvr is not connected. Click back. Wait 10 or 15 seconds and click refresh. Then click menu, my DVR. If it says you're not connected, click back and wait 15 more seconds and repeat. At some point it your DVR programs will show up. Then click menu, guide and select live tv on some channel. Wait 15 seconds or so and it should work. That will get you off the xm radio channel.

Once you successfully get something besides the radio, you can watch live TV (via the guide) or a program (via my dvr). Also, once the program starts, it may take 5 or 10 seconds to switch to the proper channel so be sure to wait.

The real issue is that it takes a long time to get the initial connection and for commands to actually take affect. So you will get a lot of "you're dvr isn't connected messages" - the key is to have patience - at some point it will connect and then everything is fine. The Dish online web site is similar - it takes a long time to get the connection set up.

#30 OFFLINE   sporttster

sporttster

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Most of the time the app works. I connect, get on and can watch fine. But again, tonight trying to connect remotely via my RAZR which I've done many times fine yet tonight the sucker refuses to connect! I've checked my phones connection and it's great. Have tried SEVERAL times in different ways to make it work and it absolutely will not. The most it will do is pop up a blue screen saying 'weak or no video signal' which, again, is wrong as my bars on the phone are great. Did a speedtest and it was the same it always is in this area. Tried reloading, different stations, closing and reopening, direct channel input, the DVR, clearing data and logging back in. Nothing works. What is WITH this thing? :nono2:

spam firewall