Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Saving DVR recordings to DVD's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newz54

newz54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have a friend who will be living out of the U.S. for a while and has asked me to send him dvd's of a few tv shows. I normally record these shows on my vp622 so that is not a problem but how can I easily get them to dvd without playing them out one by one to my stand alone dvd recorder. My recorder has an internal timer and even has an ir hopper so I have basic control of the vip622. My problem is getting the vip622 out of screensaver mode. I assume I could do that by setting timers that would instead of setting a recording would tune to the channel. I see that as an option. While that might work, I wouldn't have a recording on the dvr for me to watch.

Quality is not important...so right now I am using the s video output of the vip to go into the samsung dvd-vr357.

suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Those are your two options... Record to your DVR, then play them back and send the output to your DVD recorder... OR Use the timer feature and record them to DVD "live" at the time of the recording and have no DVR recording.

As for the screen saver... You can disable the inactivity timeout, so the receiver doesn't go into standby due to inactivity... Then, look for when your nightly update is scheduled and then set an auto-tune timer to some channel about an hour after that to get it turned back on after the nightly update.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

There is third option: install R5000-HD board.

#4 OFFLINE   newz54

newz54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks. Stewart can you explain further. What does the nightly update have to do with the screensaver. Also...I googled and it doesn't appear you can turn off the screensaver. Where do you do that? Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks. Stewart can you explain further. What does the nightly update have to do with the screensaver. Also...I googled and it doesn't appear you can turn off the screensaver. Where do you do that? Thanks.

The screen saver kicks in when the receiver is in standby. The receiver goes into standby either:

1. You turn it "off"
2. The inactivity timer expires
3. The receiver performs the nightly update

You can disable the inactivity timer, but you cannot disable the nightly update. The only away around the screen saver kicking in after the nightly update is to set an auto-tune timer for sometime afterwards (I recommend 1 hr after whenever the nightly update is scheduled to occur).

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

There is third option: install R5000-HD board.

That wouldn't help him get the programs any faster onto DVD in a format that could be watched by someone else... plus if he has a leased receiver he couldn't do that anyway.

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,712 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

The update schedule and inactivity timeout are both on the MENU->Preferences->Update screen.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   newz54

newz54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. My recordings are working great. I simply set an auto tune timer a few minutes before my recording. It woke up the machine and turned off the screen saver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...