Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Tiki God

Tiki God

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi First time poster. I have 5 TVs and am having a 2 Hopper/3 Joey system (i think) installed on Friday. One of the TV's is in a spare bedroom that I hardly use so I don't really need unique programming for that room. As it stands now I have and older PVR unit and it's split between the bedroom and the kitchen so the same programming can be watched on both screens. Is it possible to split a Joey the same way? Or a hopper? If I can eliminate the monthly fee for one of the Joeys it would be great. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so please forgive any of my ignorance.

Edited by Tiki God, 03 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,081 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great First Look...

I enjoyed reading it immensely! :)

~Alan

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,640 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi First time poster. I have 5 TVs and am having a 2 Hopper/3 Joey system (i think) installed on Friday. One of the TV's is in a spare bedroom that I hardly use so I don't really need unique programming for that room. As it stands now I have and older PVR unit and it's split between the bedroom and the kitchen so the same programming can be watched on both screens. Is it possible to split a Joey the same way? Or a hopper? If I can eliminate the monthly fee for one of the Joeys it would be great. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so please forgive any of my ignorance.

You will have to take care of the split yourself, but yes ... a Hopper or Joey can send the same feed to more than one TV. If the second set is a SD TV adding an RF modulator to the Hopper/Joey and a separate cable to the second set should not be hard - and with all remotes being UHF you don't have to worry about infrared extenders.

#29 OFFLINE   Tiki God

Tiki God

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response, James!

#30 OFFLINE   treecastle

treecastle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Nice job and very well done!

DirecTV subscriber from 1996 to March 2012
DISH subscriber from March 2012 to May 2013

DirecTV subscriber since May 2013

#31 OFFLINE   ClearCom

ClearCom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Have a curious question.
The Joey's do not have the ability to watch live TV, correct? They can only watch was has been recorded. So in essence if a bedroom TV is connected using a Joey, that TV cannot see any live broadcasts?

If so that is a major drawback, IMO.
Our simple set-up now is a 722 on two TV's. We are thinking of upgrading to the Hopper/Joey to run a third TV.

Watch us on Man Caves on DIY Network at 9:00 pm Friday's.  Check out some of the really cool A/V products we install.  

Follow us on twitter @bestaudioguy

Posted clips from the show on Facebook.  Keyword bestaudioguy

#32 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Have a curious question.
The Joey's do not have the ability to watch live TV, correct? They can only watch was has been recorded. So in essence if a bedroom TV is connected using a Joey, that TV cannot see any live broadcasts?

If so that is a major drawback, IMO.
Our simple set-up now is a 722 on two TV's. We are thinking of upgrading to the Hopper/Joey to run a third TV.

The Joey can do live TV, but it uses a tuner in the Hopper to do it. Excluding PTAT, you can watch 3 live events at a time, one on the Hopper and the other two on the two Joeys.

In the case of PTAT, you could watch anything that it is recording slightly delayed.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#33 OFFLINE   mosquitop

mosquitop

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that even after all these years of mass adoption of cable and satellite systems with gobs of channels for every type of programming, a satellite receiver is designed to record the primetime from the 4 broadcast networks? Seems like things have come full circle in a way....

Nice review -- it did answer all my questions in one place!

#34 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Great job. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

#35 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Some questions...
If I'm watching a recorded event via Joey in the bedroom and pause/stop, then go into the kitchen, can I go to DISH on my iPad and pick up where I left off? Yes I have a Sling adapter. (This is one of the wifes current complaints!).

I think the answer is Yes?

What about EHDs? Connect only to Hopper and accessible via Joey? Since there's 2 USBs and an eSata connector on the back of the Hopper, can you connect multiple EHDs?

What's the purpose of the USB port on the Joey?
What is the purpose of two Ethernet ports on the Joey and the ethernet port on the Joey if they use MOCA?

Will an EHD from my 722k now work with the Hopper?

Interestingly enought there is no Joey manual on the DISH website. The basic connectivity and usage mentioned in the Hopper manual says nothing about the ethernet or USB ports on the Joey.

Edited by dmspen, 04 April 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   tblankenship

tblankenship

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the great review. I'll be waiting for an OTA version.

#37 OFFLINE   Stevie

Stevie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Was wondering when DISH was going to step forward with something like this.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, CompTIA, Sec+, MCSE:Security, MCSE, MCSA:Security, MCSA, MCP (yeah... computer nerd)

#38 OFFLINE   ITSCdanimal

ITSCdanimal

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Great review bro!

I have a question - I have a ViP622 with a 750GB hard drive connected to the USB port, which is basically full. Will I be able to view all of my recorded content from the hard drive if I get the new hopper system? Thanks!!!

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,336 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Great review bro!

I have a question - I have a ViP622 with a 750GB hard drive connected to the USB port, which is basically full. Will I be able to view all of my recorded content from the hard drive if I get the new hopper system? Thanks!!!

Right here http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203723

#40 OFFLINE   jaycruce

jaycruce

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Great review! Thanks for time and effort.

#41 OFFLINE   caam1

caam1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes, an external USB drive from a 622/722 will work with the Hopper (drives used with a 211 will not). I have a 2TB drive that I used on a 622 and it works great on the Hopper. It is much faster to access the drive on Hopper than it was on the 622. Some people have had EHD problems with the Hopper, but mine is working great.

#42 OFFLINE   gax279

gax279

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Found this forum off of AVSForum.com and I'm glad I did!

I've seen a few commercials and wasn't sure what Hopper and Joey were all about, but now I know. :cool:

I have a few questions, but first, here is some background on my set-up:

622 in the main/family room
211K in the kitchen
612 in the basement.

Note the 622 also sends a signal to the tv in the spare bedroom.

All of the equipment is leased.

None of the equipment is connected to Dish via a phone jack, or connected to the internet (we stream off of Vudu or Apple TV).

All 4 of my TVs are HD, and connected via HDMI.

In the summer, I sometimes take the 40" LCD from the spare bedroom and move it outside to the deck to watch baseball, football, etc. In order to do this, I have an HDMI splitter box off of the 211K in the kitchen and a 25' HDMI cable strung out the kitchen window and connect to the TV directly. It works, albeit it's not pretty. ;)

That's why I'm thinking the H & Js may be a good option for me.

So my questions...
1. Does the Hopper and Joey system utilize the existing coax wiring/cable jacks? Basically unplug the old boxes, plug in the new, and good to go?

2. In my house, I could put the Hopper in the family room, Joey #1 in the kitchen, Joey #2 in the basement, and Joey #3 could float between the spare bedroom and deck, correct?

3. Is there a wireless broadband option for the streaming content. If not, I can use a ethernet powerline adapter...I'd like to take advantage of the streaming features.

4. In looking at the Dish Network site and reading their H & J propaganda, it says Call 800-333-DISH to upgrade your equipment. Fee(s) will apply.

I'm going to try and call on my way home from work tonight, but for those that have upgraded, what were the "fees," if any?

Thanks again-
DB

#43 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

James, you mentioned that PTAT can "hijack" a tuner when it kicks in. I think this might have happened to me last night. At 6:55pm CDT, the channel I was watching froze, the Hopper stopped responding to the remote, and then eventually crashed/rebooted itself. I don't know which tuner the Hopper was currently using when this happened. I was also recording a show on HBO when PTAT started.

I've noticed that PTAT in the timer list always claims the same tuner. Also, timers claim a tuner at the time it is created. This is different than what I'm used to on the DirecTV DVRs. Timers are not tied to any tuner when they're created. They just use whichever tuner is free to start recording the event at the set time.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#44 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Found this forum off of AVSForum.com and I'm glad I did!

I've seen a few commercials and wasn't sure what Hopper and Joey were all about, but now I know. :cool:

I have a few questions, but first, here is some background on my set-up:

622 in the main/family room
211K in the kitchen
612 in the basement.

Note the 622 also sends a signal to the tv in the spare bedroom.

All of the equipment is leased.

None of the equipment is connected to Dish via a phone jack, or connected to the internet (we stream off of Vudu or Apple TV).

All 4 of my TVs are HD, and connected via HDMI.

In the summer, I sometimes take the 40" LCD from the spare bedroom and move it outside to the deck to watch baseball, football, etc. In order to do this, I have an HDMI splitter box off of the 211K in the kitchen and a 25' HDMI cable strung out the kitchen window and connect to the TV directly. It works, albeit it's not pretty. ;)

That's why I'm thinking the H & Js may be a good option for me.

So my questions...
1. Does the Hopper and Joey system utilize the existing coax wiring/cable jacks? Basically unplug the old boxes, plug in the new, and good to go?

2. In my house, I could put the Hopper in the family room, Joey #1 in the kitchen, Joey #2 in the basement, and Joey #3 could float between the spare bedroom and deck, correct?

3. Is there a wireless broadband option for the streaming content. If not, I can use a ethernet powerline adapter...I'd like to take advantage of the streaming features.

4. In looking at the Dish Network site and reading their H & J propaganda, it says Call 800-333-DISH to upgrade your equipment. Fee(s) will apply.

I'm going to try and call on my way home from work tonight, but for those that have upgraded, what were the "fees," if any?

Thanks again-
DB

depends on your payment history amongst other things.
most customers looking to upgrade will pay $100 for 1 hopper and 3 joeys

#45 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

James, you mentioned that PTAT can "hijack" a tuner when it kicks in. I think this might have happened to me last night. At 6:55pm CDT, the channel I was watching froze, the Hopper stopped responding to the remote, and then eventually crashed/rebooted itself. I don't know which tuner the Hopper was currently using when this happened. I was also recording a show on HBO when PTAT started.

I've noticed that PTAT in the timer list always claims the same tuner. Also, timers claim a tuner at the time it is created. This is different than what I'm used to on the DirecTV DVRs. Timers are not tied to any tuner when they're created. They just use whichever tuner is free to start recording the event at the set time.

timers do not claim a tuner when they are created,they will use any tuner available at the time the recording starts

#46 OFFLINE   jjanthony

jjanthony

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Will the OTA module I have in my VIP922 work/fit in the the hopper?

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,640 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Will the OTA module I have in my VIP922 work/fit in the the hopper?

Unfortunately not. The Hopper currently has no OTA support. There are no slots for a 922 style module. It appears DISH's solution will be via USB.

#48 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Took my guy 7 hours to install, also had two other trucks show up to help him. I have 1 hopper and 3 Joey's. I love it!!!! The greatest feature is the built in remote control feature on the Hopper, it will automatically set up your hopper to work with your DVD player and home AV receiver. No more looking for remote control codes!!!

#49 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

My biggest issue is the lack of tuners and cost for a Joey and 3 hoppers cost lots more than 2 DVRs and has one less tuner

#50 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

timers do not claim a tuner when they are created,they will use any tuner available at the time the recording starts

If that's true, then why is there a colored icon on the timer indicating which tuner the timer will use?
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

Protected By... spam firewall...And...