Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Interesting description, but I would prefer to read a manual covering hookup and operation of both the hopper and joey, to fully understand how the system works. Can anyone direct me to an online posting of the manuals?

DISH has the manuals on their website - Look for "Hopper" under Quick Reference and Receiver Manuals.
http://www.mydish.com/Support/manuals

Also, since the hopper does not have an OTA input, I can still hook directly to the TV and switch the TV input to get the local subchannels not carried by DISH.

Correct. You will need a separate antenna feed to the TV (TV signals cannot be combined with the DISH Hopper feeds).

So do I and seem to be a limitation if I am understanding this correctly with this setup if you had 4 tvs you could not have one person watching say syfy, another disney, a third fx and a fourth ESPN?

Correct ... three tuners in a Hopper is a limitation. Many users in our forum have chosen to get two Hoppers in order to keep their tuner count up.

The shared PTA tuner may help in the evening if two or more of the TVs had people wanting to watch major network programming. DISH advertises it as "six tuners" and it can serve that way if you accept four tuners are the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).

I'm looking forward to seeing how OTA is integrated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Great review, James!
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#23 OFFLINE   kilroyc

kilroyc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Great write up! I was looking at U-Verse for a second home I have but Hopper seems to have all I need at a good price point. While new, I have not heard good things abotu u-Verse.

i was a long time Dish subscriber, and have no real bad things to say about their offering. at&t came into our area and offered a fantastic acquisition deal with no contract. i was basically ready to jump ship because of multiple DVR failures (and losing all of the content).

all in all, i like u-verse a little better than Dish and have no plans on going back.

* dish picture quality is slightly better than u-verse
* u-verse DVR user interface on on-screen menu is definitely nicer
* found hardware performance to be better with u-verse
* like my channel line up better w/ at&t

Glad Dish is bringing the whole home DVR into the fold. I am a fan of theirs, and enjoyed being a customer of theirs. Hope folks find it meets their expectations.

#24 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm getting my new Hopper Joey system tomorrow. My HD experience started with the vip622 then a vip722K and the infamous vip922. Once the buggy 922 settled I rather enjoyed it, but I must say at times it was tiresome. I'm hoping for a better product out of the box with the Hopper/Joey. Nice job on the essay and review.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

James Long and his team did an exceptional job. Well done, sirs!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   Tiki God

Tiki God

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi First time poster. I have 5 TVs and am having a 2 Hopper/3 Joey system (i think) installed on Friday. One of the TV's is in a spare bedroom that I hardly use so I don't really need unique programming for that room. As it stands now I have and older PVR unit and it's split between the bedroom and the kitchen so the same programming can be watched on both screens. Is it possible to split a Joey the same way? Or a hopper? If I can eliminate the monthly fee for one of the Joeys it would be great. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so please forgive any of my ignorance.

Edited by Tiki God, 03 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,811 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great First Look...

I enjoyed reading it immensely! :)

~Alan

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi First time poster. I have 5 TVs and am having a 2 Hopper/3 Joey system (i think) installed on Friday. One of the TV's is in a spare bedroom that I hardly use so I don't really need unique programming for that room. As it stands now I have and older PVR unit and it's split between the bedroom and the kitchen so the same programming can be watched on both screens. Is it possible to split a Joey the same way? Or a hopper? If I can eliminate the monthly fee for one of the Joeys it would be great. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so please forgive any of my ignorance.

You will have to take care of the split yourself, but yes ... a Hopper or Joey can send the same feed to more than one TV. If the second set is a SD TV adding an RF modulator to the Hopper/Joey and a separate cable to the second set should not be hard - and with all remotes being UHF you don't have to worry about infrared extenders.

#29 OFFLINE   Tiki God

Tiki God

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response, James!

#30 OFFLINE   treecastle

treecastle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Nice job and very well done!

DirecTV subscriber from 1996 to March 2012
DISH subscriber from March 2012 to May 2013

DirecTV subscriber since May 2013

#31 OFFLINE   ClearCom

ClearCom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Have a curious question.
The Joey's do not have the ability to watch live TV, correct? They can only watch was has been recorded. So in essence if a bedroom TV is connected using a Joey, that TV cannot see any live broadcasts?

If so that is a major drawback, IMO.
Our simple set-up now is a 722 on two TV's. We are thinking of upgrading to the Hopper/Joey to run a third TV.

Watch us on Man Caves on DIY Network at 9:00 pm Friday's.  Check out some of the really cool A/V products we install.  

Follow us on twitter @bestaudioguy

Posted clips from the show on Facebook.  Keyword bestaudioguy

#32 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Have a curious question.
The Joey's do not have the ability to watch live TV, correct? They can only watch was has been recorded. So in essence if a bedroom TV is connected using a Joey, that TV cannot see any live broadcasts?

If so that is a major drawback, IMO.
Our simple set-up now is a 722 on two TV's. We are thinking of upgrading to the Hopper/Joey to run a third TV.

The Joey can do live TV, but it uses a tuner in the Hopper to do it. Excluding PTAT, you can watch 3 live events at a time, one on the Hopper and the other two on the two Joeys.

In the case of PTAT, you could watch anything that it is recording slightly delayed.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#33 OFFLINE   mosquitop

mosquitop

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that even after all these years of mass adoption of cable and satellite systems with gobs of channels for every type of programming, a satellite receiver is designed to record the primetime from the 4 broadcast networks? Seems like things have come full circle in a way....

Nice review -- it did answer all my questions in one place!

#34 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Great job. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

#35 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Some questions...
If I'm watching a recorded event via Joey in the bedroom and pause/stop, then go into the kitchen, can I go to DISH on my iPad and pick up where I left off? Yes I have a Sling adapter. (This is one of the wifes current complaints!).

I think the answer is Yes?

What about EHDs? Connect only to Hopper and accessible via Joey? Since there's 2 USBs and an eSata connector on the back of the Hopper, can you connect multiple EHDs?

What's the purpose of the USB port on the Joey?
What is the purpose of two Ethernet ports on the Joey and the ethernet port on the Joey if they use MOCA?

Will an EHD from my 722k now work with the Hopper?

Interestingly enought there is no Joey manual on the DISH website. The basic connectivity and usage mentioned in the Hopper manual says nothing about the ethernet or USB ports on the Joey.

Edited by dmspen, 04 April 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   tblankenship

tblankenship

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the great review. I'll be waiting for an OTA version.

#37 OFFLINE   Stevie

Stevie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Was wondering when DISH was going to step forward with something like this.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, CompTIA, Sec+, MCSE:Security, MCSE, MCSA:Security, MCSA, MCP (yeah... computer nerd)

#38 OFFLINE   ITSCdanimal

ITSCdanimal

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Great review bro!

I have a question - I have a ViP622 with a 750GB hard drive connected to the USB port, which is basically full. Will I be able to view all of my recorded content from the hard drive if I get the new hopper system? Thanks!!!

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Great review bro!

I have a question - I have a ViP622 with a 750GB hard drive connected to the USB port, which is basically full. Will I be able to view all of my recorded content from the hard drive if I get the new hopper system? Thanks!!!

Right here http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203723

#40 OFFLINE   jaycruce

jaycruce

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Great review! Thanks for time and effort.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...